BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMen View Post
    Hyperbolic much?
    qft. The only thing from the rumors that has any chance to "kill" WHFB is the obsoleting of so many existing models and armies, as that may alienate too many players to recover from.

Plus, this is "old" "news"... Photo has been all but confirmed to be photoshopped in another BoLS article's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Of course its a new edition. Just like 7th isnt 6.5 but instead a new edition.

These are the same arguments people made then. That somehow printing a new rulebook wouldnt change anything. Its BS
    Not what the rumours are suggesting at all.

Given Harry is the only proven rumour monger commenting on it, he's really quite vague and unsure about what is actually happening.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Not what the rumours are suggesting at all.

Given Harry is the only proven rumour monger commenting on it, he's really quite vague and unsure about what is actually happening.
    When? you mean when he talks about it being 9th edition and year zero? See where he CALLS it 9th edition? thats the part where you realise that its a new edition

Or how about Darnok, he's got a track record almost as good as harry's and he's is calling it a new edition as well.

Harry from Warseer - Total rumors: (39 TRUE) / (7 FALSE) / (2 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)
    Darnok (from Warseer) - Total rumors: (49 TRUE) / (17 FALSE) / (9 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

As ever, the 'rumours' of changes in a new edition release will be far more damaging then the actual changes will be, whatever those are. We'll see what happens, you cant change it, your not going to find out exactly how bad or good the changes will be till a lot nearer the time, so why worry? Just enjoy the game.

Now of course its fun to try an predict the future, but the reality is there so much mud being slung around right now I wouldn't trust anything I can't verifiably check for myself.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Brother-Sergeant

Can anyone please explain to me how, round base alone will bring the to Warhammer Fantasy? At worse, it'll be a pain in the butt to change all the square bases to round bases.
    It's like killing two hobbits with one stone...
    And remember, there is no "I" in team but there is a "ME".

I believe the idea is that thousands of gamers will go "aaaaaaargh, balls to this" and quit the game instead of suffering that pain in the butt.

Brother-Sergeant

Pfft! Wimps.

Seriously though, when looking at that picture, what I notice was that the only things that had a round base were war machines. Honestly, how many of you gamers, use bases on their war machines in their armies? Did GW even make an offical squared base for large war machines? From what I remember from a lot of WD battle reports, I never saw too many bases for the war machines. Heck, when I used to use my great cannon and other war machines, I never used a base for them.

Maybe in 9th edition they made spiceal rules for war machines in close combat where they don't need a base to help out with combat (ie: no lining up, no rank bonuse). Then, bases on war machines become optional. More of a personal choice. Usually used to have the war machine base match the rest of the army's bases. And whoever made those models and painted, decided to use round bases because it looked better on on a camera then a round base.

Kind of the same reason when back in the day, they use to paint the models bases green because it looked better on camera then other colors.
    It's like killing two hobbits with one stone...
    And remember, there is no "I" in team but there is a "ME".

The newer Skaven Screaming Bell and Plague Furnace have bases in order to help rank them up better. They're machines that fit into the middle of a unit. I have an older one that didn't have a base, it can seem a little odd to slide it into the middle of a unit.

Bases also make it easier to tell how many enemy models are in base-to-base contact, i.e. with Chariots. While my old Doomwheel didn't come with a base, I did put one on it in order to deal with this situation. (I think it's actually the one that came with the new Warp Lightning Cannon, which might make it a bit rough to get more enemy in base-to-base with that, but really, there shouldn't be that many attacking anyway, since they're actually only fighting the crew, who on most war machines are separate models.)

The SB and PF being mid-unit models is what makes their being on a round base so interesting. You can't really rank that up in the middle of a unit, so it begs the question, "How would these work now?"

So much left to discover in summer...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, also, those round bases aren't because they look better on camera. For one thing, the image as it appears in White Dwarf is cropped to remove the bases. For another, those are typically in the middle of units, and shown with rectangular bases just like the other models in the unit (when you can see the bases). They already had those models with the current bases. It's actually most likely that these are models painted up early for WFB9/Warhammer II: Electric Boogaloo, and they just decided to do a photo of them with current Thanquol, but forgot to crop the image somewhere.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    They already had those models with the current bases. It's actually most likely that these are models painted up early for WFB9/Warhammer II: Electric Boogaloo, and they just decided to do a photo of them with current Thanquol, but forgot to crop the image somewhere.
    ...or they leaked it intentionally to gauge the nerdrage such a move might generate.... or to 'pop' the rage bubble and give people a few months to wrap their minds around such a dramatic change... The tin foil hat possibilities are limitless!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    ...or they leaked it intentionally to gauge the nerdrage such a move might generate.... or to 'pop' the rage bubble and give people a few months to wrap their minds around such a dramatic change... The tin foil hat possibilities are limitless!
    Yeah, but I don't think they're that conniving or anything. I feel it's more likely someone just slipped up. They like to play things so close that not even their own employees know what's around the bend.

Heck, I'm amused by the local manager's guess that it might just be a special set of campaign rules for fighting in Lustria. Not sure how that'd work, but hey, it sounds better than speculating that the game is going to drastically change in a way that might piss off a lot of his customers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast