BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default The Uthreka Dynasty - Primeministersinister's Nercons

"We have shown brutal gods their own limits. Shattered, they now the genuflect at our passing knowing that our brutality was learned at their feet. But cruelty is the lesson we have taught ourselves."
    -Hanleck the Amaranthine

So, it's taken about 15 years as a loyal Imperial solider, but resolve has faltered and my spirit is weak.
    I'm doing a xenos army.

I've chosen Necrons because I simply love the "new" range and I actually really like how they've been re-fluffed. I still remember when the 3rd edition codex dropped for these guys. I just loved the "we'll be back" mechanic and how they seemed to be an unknowable horror. Sure, they're a little less mysterious now, but at least they can have characters.
    I also wanted to try out a bone colour scheme on something and the idea of doing Dark Angels was right out. I've painted enough power armour to last me a few years at least.

Before The Great Sleep, Uthreka was a client dynasty of shifting alliances, a station which had always chaffed Overlord Hanleck the Amaranthine. His proud warriors would serve for the glory of others, while he was parcelled some small star system, the Adumbrals, to play lord over. His potential wasted, Hanleck grew to despise the mercenary nature of the Uthreka Dynasty.
    After a timeless slumber, the Uthreka stirred and awoke. First, the Overlord bitterly tossed aside the yoke of servitude and then set about setting the Adumbral system ablaze so that he could then contentedly rule over a kingdom of ashes.
    But on sitting on The Smouldering Throne, ambition crept into Hanleck. Independence was not enough for his dynasty. The galaxy had changed in the eons of wakelessness, and so too must he, Hanleck reasoned. And so too must he rule.

So here are a few shots of my colour scheme and what I've got completed thus far. You'll get more fluff as I finish models.

This is the first member of the Royal Court, known as the Lecter court amongst the Uthreka. I figure she will have been Hanleck's bride or betrothed before the Unfleshing stuck all the Necrontyr into their chrome domes we know and love today.

Then of course the warriors.

I want the warriors (and eventually the Immortals and the like) to be chipped and corroded.
    Here's a close up, just to be more clear. Also, you can see that I actually picked out the eyes in the shot below.

And lastly, some of my favourites, Scarabs.

I knew I had to use a mix of the Forge World ones once I saw them. They remind me of the Philip K Dick story [URL="http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32032/32032-h/32032-h.htm"]"Second Variety"[/URL]

So guys, I've got some fun things planned to share with you. Let me know what you all think and wish me luck.
    Cera cito.

Chapter-Master

I love it, it's similar to my scheme with the chip paint on bone effect. I am a sucker for that colour. I wish more people did this, I find it nicer than bare metal colours personally.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks Asymmetrical Xeno. I also prefer painted necrons.

Hey guy, I've got a few shots for you.
    First up is a shot of a finished squad of warriors. You can see the odd base out. I used pigment washes and I tried to get a dusty, orange-red earth on it. Ultimately, I think I succeeded, but given how much work it was to get it there, I opted to use a quick drybrush of reds and then oranges to give that Mars red earth you can see on the other bases.

I also gave them a once over with a little red and brown weathering pigment. That paired very nicely with the chipping effect, I think.

Spooky, right?

Then, the scarabs were finished this weekend too. I love how the mix of FW and GW robo-bugs look. I figure that the two-eyed ones, with their more advanced binocular vision, would function as the spotters of the swarm while the cyclopean ones bring to bear the more destructive capabilities of the swarm.

I did discover that if you're going to make a unit of scarabs, you ought to complete the bases before you put the little blighters on it.

I haven't gotten around to applying a little powder to these guys, but I think I will have to use a light touch on such a small model.

Also, when I was doing my photo shoot, I grabbed a quick snap of the first completed lord. I'll likely hold off on purchasing any more HQ units until I see then new book, but until then have a look.

I'm not sure if I'll apply the chipping effect to the Lord. Any feed back would be welcomed.

This model also has the same pigtment-wash base. Additionally, I am thinking I should darken the spaces in between the ribs.

Lastly, here's a sneak peek at what I treated myself to for Christmas.
    Cera cito.

Brother-Sergeant

So I've been busy.
    Firstly, the Tesseract Ark is finished.
    Considered one of the Crown Jewels of Uthreka, The Broken Sun is one of the most potent weapons that Phraeon Hanleck is able to bring to bear. Using a portion of a shattered star as a power source, this ark has rent the war machines and fortifications of all those that oppose Hanleck for thousands of years.

The next unit I finished this week was a five skeleton unit of Immortals. I've got 5 more on the way.
    In the countless ages past, Hanleck's Immortals have been his bloody hand, reaching out and crushing the throat of his rivals. Being the first of their old alliances to stir, they took up their charge again, and turned their arms against the Dynasties that would see Uthreka subjugated. Overlords of unheard of power died in the dreams of eons. Their names but dust blown to nothingness by Hanleck's ambition.

Given the newly awakened ruthlessness in Uthreka's Phraeon, the Triarch saw fit to dispatch a battalion of Praetorians, led by Enforcer Nemis, to ensure that the order of Silent King is maintained. The emissaries were met with a chilly reception, though with all the pageantry and respect such distinguished guests demand. While Hanleck feels no fealty to the Silent King, even he cannot deny the fearsome effectiveness of the Tirarch's finest.

That's in for now. Let me know what you guys think.
    Cera cito.

Battle-Brother

Looking pretty awesome if I must say. Your weathering on that ark is splendid!
    "Warm it up, everything you've got. C'mon you apes, you wanna live forever?"

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks Lord Commissar Maxwell. I have been practising.

Austere in his finery, Phaeron Hanleck the Amaranthine is efficiently brutal in his pursuit of own greatness. This efficiency also informs the manner in which the Uthreka Dynasty conducts war, vicious and precise strikes destroy communications arrays and supply-lines before isolated pockets of foes are surrounded and eliminated.

As Phaeron of Uthreka, Hanleck wields the Possible Blade -- a warscythe fitted with a possibility engine. This device alters probability in such a way that every possible strike that could have ever been made by Hanleck with this blade, is, to some degree or another, real. Armour is torn asunder in a blur of metallic sweeps and bodies are pulped with horrifying violence.

Upon waking, Hanleck quickly gave the order to grind the Overlords of his former masters to dust. He then set the Crypteks loyal to him to the task of reprogramming the still slumbering Necrons to be assimilated into the ranks of the Uthreka, to both speed the expansion into the galaxy and to ensure the names of those that would make Hanleck knee were consumed by the hungry eons.
    Cera cito.