BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Robotech RPG Tactics Modeling Fun!

Hi everyone! Late 2014 provided some love for us 80s kids in the form of a long, long overdue kickstarter for Robotech! I missed the KS, probably to my own good fortune considering the drama surrounding it, but I did get the first wave models for Christmas. A lot of people have posted lamentations regarding these models online so I won't go into too much detail but I will list the following issues you will encounter if you delve into this game universe.

1. The models are very detailed. This is a 6mm game like Adeptus Titanicus (Epic 40k) and the designers managed to cram a lot of fine detail onto the models... although there is a price to pay.

2. The Sprues are too tight. Often there is not enough room to get clippers in between the model and Sprue so be prepared to use a super sharp Exacto knife and a tremendous amount of care removing parts.

3. The parts are NOT identified. Even veteran modelers have been exasperated by the failure to ID parts on the sprue especially since there are alternative parts and certain parts that were designed to go together. A little extra care with removing parts and dry fitting is required for best results.

4. Some parts are stupid small. No kidding... some of these parts are fractions of mm in size so you need to be careful removing them, handling them and in not accidently pitching the sprue while these tiny detail pieces are still hanging out on it! Some kits are far worse than others.

5. There are lots of long seams. I do NOT recommend super glue for this product. I used both GW and Testors Model Masters Plastic Glue (both with the long metal needle like applicators) to coat the seams and partially melt the plastic before pressing the pieces tightly together to create a slight ridge along the seams that can be sanded down.

So all of that being said do I still recommend the models? Absolutely. Once you get past the assembly they are true to the original anime. I'm very excited to paint them up over the next few weeks and actually play some games! Hopefully I can get all of these done before wave 2 lands!

Anyhow, on to the fun stuff... After assembling a host of basic models I got into the Destroid box that was not in the main set. Both the Phalanx and the Spartan are just begging for magnetized arms and after doing some basic assembly for Zentradi Battlepods and the 2 main box Destroids I decided to put a little extra effort into this kit.

First up we have the Phalanx. Not my favorite Destroid but still a fun little model. To magnetize the Missle Pods I used 1/8" Diameter x 1/16" thick magnets on both the body and arms.

I managed to rush the leg assembly and did not let the glue melt the seams enough before pressing them together so now I get to backfill them with some zap a gap or plastic putty before priming. Although in all honesty they are far smoother than they appear in the photos.

- - - Updated - - -

The second Destroid in the add on kit is the Spartan. This is my second personal favorite after the Tomahawk! Here is the same Spartan with all three magnetized arm options.

And here is the magnet line up. The arms are way smaller in diameter so I glued two 1/16 x 1/32 magnets into the arms creating a 1/16 x 1/16 magnet for them. I still used a 1/8 x 1/16 for the body. these hold really well and you can actually pick the model up by the arm without it coming off.

- - - Updated - - -

Next I decided to convert one of the Spartans to better match the artwork on the box... I wanted it to be showing off it's hidden chest guns... This was a little tedious but still took less than an hour to throw together. First I shaved off the chest 'door', next I hollowed out the cavity by drilling a couple of 1/16" holes... one from the front going back and one from the top going down. I then very carefully used a sharp Exacto knife to trim and scrape out the extra plastic to create the rectangular cavity. A little green stuff was pressed into the bottom of the cavity to create a smooth surface and give me something to press the plastic rod for the guns into. I used 1.2mm plastic rod for the central gun and 0.64mm rid for the 4 surrounding guns. Overall I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.

Last edited by 40kGamer; 01-12-2015 at 10:15 AM.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Starting to play around with the Valkyrie Battloid model. Here's a first pass at modifying a Battloid to have 'open wings'. Basically I carefully cut away the closed wings, then used a 0.7mm drill bit to drill a couple guide holes for where the fighter wings need to attach and finally used an Exacto to square up the hole so that the wing tab fits easy enough. Here are some side by side shots with an original Battloid Torso assembly.

and here is how she looks with the wings inserted.

I also started work on modifying a couple of sets of legs. I made all of the cuts prior to gluing the two halves together... actually the first time I've been really happy the legs are two piece! Using a sharp Exacto I removed each foot... this is pretty difficult and I managed to cut into one of my fingers while doing the first foot! Doh! I'm too old to make stupid mistakes like that! After that I was able to remove all of the others and then glue all of the halves together with no more incidents! I have kept an original leg with each of the disassembled ones to help me keep like parts together. We'll see how these go back together soon enough!

My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Zentradi Command Pod repairs complete! While the main Regulats are pretty easy peasy to slap together the Command pod sprue is an entirely different animal. I managed to break or lose several fiddly bits for the scout pod and after finishing the Command pod I broke off a chin gun when I picked it up for inspection! DOH! Well, there's very little that green stuff + plasticard & plastic rod can't fix. Lucky for me!

My Truescale Insanity

Chapter-Master

Early Veritech Battloid posing done... I decided to assemble a VF-1S straight from the box with no conversions other than a hand swap, what can I say I like open hands.

Side by side with a pod.

Next I worked up the legs for a second Battloid. Being able to rotate ever joint as if it were on a ball along with the ability to reposition the feet allows a lot of posing options. Although working with greenstuff can be a pain and takes forever! Not forever working just forever waiting for things to cure. Always good to have several models going so you don't grab one too early and deform your hard work before it sets. If you're like me you'll blow it every now and again anyhow cause curiosity as to how it looks gets the best of common sense.

Here's a side by side of the same legs. One set straight from the sprue the other modified.

And here is the full Battloid with the modified legs vs a standard pose with the same legs I started with.

Even though it's a fair amount of work on models that are somewhat tedious to assemble I far prefer the more natural feel of the revised legs. Still a little GS work to go on these and a lot of smoothing before they are ready to paint up.

And here are the legs I posed and put together and set aside to work on today.

My Truescale Insanity

excellent work i look forward to seeing them painted up .

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by wayne williams View Post
    excellent work i look forward to seeing them painted up .
    Thanks mate! I'm going to finish up a full Veritech group of 1 VF-1S, 1 VF-1J and 5 VF-1A's and I'm going to take a modeling break and actually put some paint to plastic!
    My Truescale Insanity

Chapter-Master

Repositioned VF-1J ready for action!

I also finished cutting the feet off of another 12 battloid legs. It is really dangerous so do not do it unless you have some experience and are very careful! I made a finger protector out of a thick napkin and some scotch tape!

My Truescale Insanity

Chapter-Master

I have to admit, now that I've gotten into the grove with these Robotech minis I am completely hooked. I just love what you can do with them. I'm getting my Anime, Transformers and Adeptus Titanicus fix all in one place! Here's a kneeling pose I mocked up. A good bit harder than I have originally expected.

and here is a leaping into the air with open wings pose. The open wing conversion is seriously easy to do but making the arms work with it is another matter entirely! Holy cow! It was extra tough as I wanted to be able to add the wing missiles after I finished painting so I had to leave enough space to work them in without it looking too crowded. Hence the double gun grip pose was born to pull the arms across the front of the body and leave the wings as open as possible.

And here's a closer look at the hand over hand grip for the gun.

Now if I can find some cool concept art to get more ideas for poses I'll be a happy cat! Any thoughts or ideas are very welcome. Cheers! /J
    My Truescale Insanity

Chapter-Master

Did a little work on the 'jump to the side' pose and thought I'd share some very ugly early step pics so anyone nutty enough to do this won't be worried when things don't look so hot!

here's the basic pose tacked together with paperclips and a little green stuff.

And here is a close up of how much damage you are likely going to do by removing the feet with an xacto knife (even if you're careful!)

I snapped this from a high angle so you can clearly see the paperclip pin in the leg joint. These pins run from the ankle up to the hip area since the legs are hollow. I stuff some green stuff up into the hollowed out ankle, drill a hole in the 'knee' joint and push the paperclip down from the knee into the green stuff at the ankle. (This+ a little superglue helps lock the pin in place) I leave enough paperclip sticking out of the top so that when I drill a hole in the upper leg I can thread it in.

I almost forgot to mention that I also got tired of the head laser facing backwards so I chopped it off, drilled a 0.8mm pilot hole and popped a plastic rod in. After this set up I used a needle file to shape the rod to mimic the laser.
    Last edited by 40kGamer; 01-22-2015 at 08:07 AM.
    My Truescale Insanity

Chapter-Master

Various things moving along at the moment. Here is the mostly cleaned up leaping to the side pose.

And here is a second pose inspired by the Max & Mirya holo arcade fight.

and the two holo inspired poses facing off.

My Truescale Insanity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast