BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Winning Best Painted with a commissioned army

Alright, discussion time. What is everyone's opinions on being eligible to win a best painted award with an army that was commissioned / bought? Should you have to paint your army yourself, or is the award reserved for the best of the best, no matter the artist? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Its down to the individual event organiser, but for myself I would feel like a cheat entering something I didn't paint myself.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Chapter-Master

What is the difference between:

1. Winning a best army trophy for a bought/commissioned army that was created to order

and

2. Buying an exact replica of any given tournament's best army trophy, using the funds you may have otherwise have spent on commission painting services?

If you genuinely don't have a moral qualm when considering this, as long as you highlight to the TO and/or any voters for best army, you are on moral high ground.

If you don't let them know you are only kidding yourself.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Up to the event organizer. If they say that you should only be eligible for best painted if you painted AND PLAY the army, that's fine, but if not, I don't see a problem.

Say that you have a friend who paints, while you play, and the friend did the army that you play with. Why should the army not win (again, if the rules allow it in that event)? As long as you disclose that you played with the best painted army that someone else did, and that someone else gets the credit, what is the problem?

To put it another way: in most dog shows, most contestants breed their own dogs. But not everyone, and nobody asks if the owner of the Best in Show happened to be the breeder also. The reason is, that it's the DOG who won the award, not the owner. Same thing, IMO, for the best army. It's the army winning the award, and if you happen to be the one who painted it, then you are more proud of that then if you just bought it. But your pride is not relevant to how good the army is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Col.Gravis View Post
    Its down to the individual event organiser, but for myself I would feel like a cheat entering something I didn't paint myself.
    Agreed. If the painter was there, I would have to give them credit for it.

But then, I don't pay for someone to paint my models, either. There's too much therapy in it.

Librarian

- Event organizers need to make sure they aren't encouraging people to lie about their painting. They can do this by making their policy very clear (no matter what their decisions are).

- I like the Ninja Division rules- it allows for a few models to have been painted by someone else for the 'best painted' award, and grants points for well painted figures no matter who painted them.

When players enter the tournament, they fill the top of a painting score form (the rest is filled out by the judge). One of the questions is whether you painted the army yourself.

- If the tournament is up front about it like this, then the whole thing makes sense. Players know what is expected of them and exactly how to be honest.
    Last edited by odinsgrandson; 01-14-2015 at 09:30 AM.

www.GardenNinja.com

First-Captain

Accepting the award when you haven't painted the army is a dick move, but if the organizers aren't informed, how are they supposed to know?

Chapter-Master

I've never been a fan of someone winning best painted with a different artist's work... but I guess it has it's place when the event allows it and the info is available to everyone who votes on the best appearance.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Brother-Sergeant

I would never enter a commissioned model, even in the event allowed it. On a personal level, it's wrong to show off another's work as your own. It's insulting to the person you hired to paint the model, and makes you look bad.

Sure. They can enter. But, the painter should get the prize...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast