BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Is this viable?

Default Is this viable?

Been winning a bunch of bike auctions and have been trying to put together a killer all bike SM army. My buddy suggested this, said he saw it online somewhere. Is this a viable list?

4 scouts w/Sniper and cloak
    1 scout w/missle launcher

5 bikes w/2 grav guns
    5 bikes w/2 grav guns
    5 bikes w/2 grav guns

8 bikes w/2 grav guns
    Attack bike w/melta

8 bikes w/2 grav guns
    attack bike w/melta

2 stormtalon's
    3 attack bikes w/melta
    2 thunderfire cannon's

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
    Been winning a bunch of bike auctions and have been trying to put together a killer all bike SM army. My buddy suggested this, said he saw it online somewhere. Is this a viable list?

5 bikes w/2 grav guns
    5 bikes w/2 grav guns
    5 bikes w/2 grav guns

8 bikes w/2 grav guns
    Attack bike w/melta

8 bikes w/2 grav guns
    attack bike w/melta

2 stormtalon's
    3 attack bikes w/melta
    2 thunderfire cannon's
    If you are running a Marine Bike List other than Ravenwing, which you are, you really really want to run a White Scars bike list as you gain the following for all Biker models:

Bikes automatically pass Dangerous Terrain Tests
    +1 to Jink Saves
    +1 to Hammer of Wrath Strength
    Hit & Run

Additionally, if you run Kor'sarro Khan as your warlord, his Warlord Trait grants the Scout special rule to all models with White Scars Chapter Tactics and if he is mounted on his bike Moondraken (something you always want to do with him) he makes all Bike Squads Troops Choices.

Other than that, your list may have problems with flying monstrous creatures, or massed MC spam.

Veteran-Sergeant

White scars are good but the jink save is not quite as good as it was last edition as you now limit your firepower by using it.

This being the case I am starting to think that Iron Hands chapter tactics may be a decent alternative as you get 6+ FNP and your chapter master on bike with artificer, shield eternal and a thunder hammer gets IWND for his 4 EW wounds. Also obj-secured drop pods that transport your TAC sqauds etc also get IWND.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post

5 bikes w/2 grav guns
    5 bikes w/2 grav guns
    5 bikes w/2 grav guns

8 bikes w/2 grav guns
    Attack bike w/melta

8 bikes w/2 grav guns
    attack bike w/melta

2 stormtalon's
    3 attack bikes w/melta
    2 thunderfire cannon's
    Another question is this. I tried creating this list on battle scribe and it wouldn't work. Any help with that? Would it be an allied detachment or an.unbound army?

Looking at the list I'm not seeing an HQ choice which is probably why battle scribe is showing errors. Similar to what was mentioned above a captain on bike would make the bike squads troop choices and give them objective secured if you're running the standard primary detachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    White scars are good but the jink save is not quite as good as it was last edition as you now limit your firepower by using it.

This being the case I am starting to think that Iron Hands chapter tactics may be a decent alternative as you get 6+ FNP and your chapter master on bike with artificer, shield eternal and a thunder hammer gets IWND for his 4 EW wounds. Also obj-secured drop pods that transport your TAC sqauds etc also get IWND.
    I agree, the jink save bonus isn't as good as it used to be...

But I feel that the biggest advantage running White Scars provide is the Hit & Run USR. Being able to disengage from hand to hand at the end of the opponents turn, only to shoot and charge back in again, or go capture some other objective, is a huge advantage.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by marful View Post
    I agree, the jink save bonus isn't as good as it used to be...

But I feel that the biggest advantage running White Scars provide is the Hit & Run USR. Being able to disengage from hand to hand at the end of the opponents turn, only to shoot and charge back in again, or go capture some other objective, is a huge advantage.
    True. And if you go for an almost pure bike list that makes a lot of sense. Khan in particular as the warlord provides even more benefits for them.

I think however I prefer to have 20-30 drop pod marines and a vehicle or two with only 2-3 units of 5 bikes (also as troops) and a chapter master on bike providing the speed that pure drop pod lists often lack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    True. And if you go for an almost pure bike list that makes a lot of sense. Khan in particular as the warlord provides even more benefits for them.

I think however I prefer to have 20-30 drop pod marines and a vehicle or two with only 2-3 units of 5 bikes (also as troops) and a chapter master on bike providing the speed that pure drop pod lists often lack.
    I agree... but the OP's list was nothing but bikes with the exception of 1 unit of scouts, 2 thunderfire cannons and 2 stormtalons.

36 of the 45 models were on bikes. That's a biker army.

Also, it's very close to what I remember the White Scars Biker Star lists were like in 6th ed.

Chaplain

I think your army might be geared to heavy armoured troops a bit too much with so many Grav guns, which as I understand it, use the weight of the enemy armour to increase their own strength. You might think in terms of plasma's in regards to big gribblies from Nid's or troops like my Eldar. Bsically you might get swarmed under.

Having said that I have been thinking on a Wind Rider force myself. I can field Autarch, Farseer and Warlocks which all benifit from jet bikes. I can now field Shiny Spears and put some Dragons in a Falcon with Vyper outriders. I'ld need some more bikes though, as half of the ones I have would be used up by the HQ teams. But maybe a serpent with Fusion toting Storm Guardians would work. My bikes cost 15 points for HQ added to the unit cost & the standard Guardian = 17 points plus I think it's 5 for the cannon. So what would your force cost?