BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Shield of Baal Flesh Tearers Detachment and Formations for Blood Angels?

I am looking through the three Shield of Baal campaign books and noticed that the Flesh Tearers Strike Force units must all have the Blood Angels faction.
    I don't regularly play Marines (Eldar and Sisters mostly) and before I dive in and paint my red Marines I want to know if I paint and mark them as Blood Angels, does that keep me from using the Flesh Tearers detachment and formations?
    If I can use them, can I mix and match?
    Since they all have the Blood Angels Faction, I'm a little confused on this.

On that note do Formations generally have a Faction?
    Could Ultramarines use the Angels of Wrath Intervention Force from WD 47? The article calls them 'Blood Angels Formations', but nothing on the formation itself lists a faction requirement.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    I am looking through the three Shield of Baal campaign books and noticed that the Flesh Tearers Strike Force units must all have the Blood Angels faction.
    I don't regularly play Marines (Eldar and Sisters mostly) and before I dive in and paint my red Marines I want to know if I paint and mark them as Blood Angels, does that keep me from using the Flesh Tearers detachment and formations?
    Nope. They can be painted as Space Wolves, Death Guard, Doom Legion, or the Friendship is Magic Chapter, and it doesn't matter.

What does matter is the Special Rules that are applied to the units, such as the fact that the Flesh Tearer Strike Force units will not be able to take advantage of Iron Hands or Raven Guard Tactics, nor use the USRs the Space Wolves use instead of Furious Charge.

In coloring? Why not? However, if you do deploy two different detachments, it will make it easier on both you and your opponent to remember which is which by keeping some easy to tell differences between them.

Most definitely. Formations are made up of specific units, which usually come from a specific codex, aka Faction.

Could Ultramarines use the Angels of Wrath Intervention Force from WD 47? The article calls them 'Blood Angels Formations', but nothing on the formation itself lists a faction requirement.
    Color-wise, yes, but instead of having a choice of 3 different Rules they can use once a game (i.e. their Chapter Tactics), they would all have to have Furious Charge.

They would be Ultramarines in their color, but Blood Angels in their actions.

Veteran-Sergeant

Charistoph is right here... what you do with your own models is fine. But always remember - do make it really clear to your opponent if your going extreme like spacewolves counting as blood angles, although the formation your talking about is far more apt, as it is just a BA formation regardless of name.

Chaplain

I've been eyeing up that formation, too. Love those Flesh Tearers chapter colors, and it looks like it could do some real damage!

Chaplain

The Flesh Tearer's formations could be used by any army using rules as a Blood Angels faction, regardless of paint scheme, there is some restrictions for warlord trait and relic options based on specific supplemental factions in the Exterminatus book, so you would not for example be able to roll on the Archangels warlord trait table or relics while using a warlord with a Flesh Tearers formation but beyond that how models are painted is purely up to you.

Ultramarines could not use the Angels Wrath intervention Force as it requires a Blood Angels faction, but a Blood Angels successor chapter painted blue could

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    The Flesh Tearer's formations could be used by any army using rules as a Blood Angels faction, regardless of paint scheme, there is some restrictions for warlord trait and relic options based on specific supplemental factions in the Exterminatus book, so you would not for example be able to roll on the Archangels warlord trait table or relics while using a warlord with a Flesh Tearers formation but beyond that how models are painted is purely up to you.

Ultramarines could not use the Angels Wrath intervention Force as it requires a Blood Angels faction, but a Blood Angels successor chapter painted blue could
    The Baal and Blood Angels codex are my first real 7th edition books and I did not notice that the Faction is an icon at the top. Thanks for that.

If I used a Blood Angels army, I can use the Fleshtearers Formations, correct alongside Archangel formations? I think I could as long as they are clearly marked.

If my Warlord is part of one of the Fleshtearers Formations, then seems like he could choose Warlord traits and Relics from the Blood Angels codex or the Flesh Tearers list in Exterminatus, correct?

Chaplain

The Baal and Blood Angels codex are my first real 7th edition books and I did not notice that the Faction is an icon at the top. Thanks for that.

If I used a Blood Angels army, I can use the Fleshtearers Formations, correct alongside Archangel formations? I think I could as long as they are clearly marked.

If my Warlord is part of one of the Fleshtearers Formations, then seems like he could choose Warlord traits and Relics from the Blood Angels codex or the Flesh Tearers list in Exterminatus, correct?
    Correct

Librarian

Thank you everyone for helping me to better understand!

Banned

Heck, you can use the Fleshtearers formation alongside the Necron Mephrit Formations if you wanted to, but there are problems doing that.