BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Abbess Sanctorum

Or how about the ork gravity weapon from second edition?
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Don’t know how old this thread is so sorry if I’ve posted really late :S

Space Marines the Emperors Finest

But about the reaction times in the ultramarines series Uriel in virtually the very beginning of the book (chains of command) kills three PDF/Guardsmen in hand to hand in under three seconds crushing ones kneecap and ribcage, knocking of the top of another’s head, and taking of the jaw of the other in THREE SECONDS space marines are far from slow in combat and this sounds like what I read the master chief do to 3 ODST in fall of reach except he took longer and hit with less power albeit unarmored so I imagine his more than capable of achieving this too when armoured. Also a brute and elite have both matched the MC in combat on spate occasions I remember reading that’s where the dent in his armour came from I believe. Also a grey knight was able to punch a whole in the head of an assassin lighting quick without any power armour on (Killing ground) this shows that SM's are stronger the spartans have never punched through someone as far as im aware even when kelly hit a Spartan 3 she was surprised that his ribs didnt shatter she was not surprised she did not punch straight through him. (she wasnt aware he was a spartan)

Also to use a rather dubious source umm C.S Goto the Eldar were capable of dancing round bullets ( Matrix anyone) Spartans can’t do that and the SMs still stood up the Eldar despite this speed so I don’t think it’s that big an issue. A marine also lifts a massive slab with one finger which apparently a normal man could not lift with two hands (or would struggle greatly or something like that).

As for the power armour on Marines when crushed under the remnants of a tank/bar (The killing ground read you’ll see what i mean) unarmored Uriel could not lift it up but stated with power armour he could of lifted it with ease cue armoured space marines lifted the rubble with ease. He also survived mortar rounds, lascannon blasts small arms fire etc without being harmed significantly. If my halo reading/gaming are anything to go assault rifle rounds bring down the shields and can pierce the armour(games not read in books) plus Spartans can be burnt by flames marines stride through promethium with ease. So it must increase strength significantly

Using Games for comparisons

Seriously i think games are a really bad source to compare the two in ODST a normal soldier can flip a tank does that mean ODSTS can lift a scorpion or survive a plasma shot uhh don’t think so games are always going to make the controlled/featured character look invincible and awesome in Halos case MC kills anything end of warhammers case in the video for the new game on 360 SM kills swarms of orks in CQC with ease (which doesn’t happen to me on tabletop when charged by the orkys) it’s a game play mechanic nothing more where as books and perhaps film (Halo Legends?) is a better indication of what they can do (and could do if they weren’t plastic and pixilated if only:{) I’ve used some examples myself and I don’t really feel their valid for example Spartan laser has anyone seen it fry 20 tanks in anything other than the games, has anyone seen one marine kick a hundred Orks in CQC single handed in anything other than the upcoming game.

Spartans

I seriously can’t see them beating a space marine but they WONT get pwned by them either to anyone that played halo wars and watched the Spartans fight the honour guard their tough have shields are exceedingly well trained and physically i believe they seem faster but strength wise their weaker than SM but i believe in both cases the difference is slight and balanced someone stated that the SM would seem to move in slow motion that was just John getting used to his new augmentations why do you think you can dance around bullets in game that’s you’re superhuman speed and reflexes (this has being stated somewhere admittedly I haven’t got a source so unsubstantiated until if find one I guess).

Overall i think its going to come down to technology SMs fight Eldar/Tyranids and demons so in a firefight or hand to hand speed is only going to give so much of an advantage I can’t see any standard UNSC weapon breaking through Astartes armour a bolt would bring master chiefs shield down easy in both books and game small arms fire brings it down in fact a elites punches in vacuum or low gravity (4got which) brought it down a SMs punch would likely decimate the shield or at least half it a bolt will shred it easy plus the amours some form of titanium 40k universe uses adamantine I think basically the Boltgun would blow Spartans to pieces. As for the Spartan laser and gravity hammer I can see the gravity hammer killing a space marine easy I can’t see a space marine not realizing this and simply not just shooting the gravity hammer (Why did no one else realize this possibility their Astartes not IG their not incompetent and stupid) after all the Spartans are fast enough to hit him with it. The Spartan laser I think it would bounce of a predator (light tank like scorpion are you on drugs its a fast moving BEAST OF A TANK:}) but shredding a marine unless his wearing termie armour but that would just be unfair.

In hand to hand let’s give the Spartan a scavenged chainsword to be fair, I think its 50-50 with one being stronger the other faster and with both being able to cut through the armour of the other I simply can’t decide who could win this would really depend on luck and the individual marine and Spartan, Kelly for example would be much more likely to win due to being even faster than a normal Spartan, while assault marines, sergeants and captains are more skilled and/or battle hardened. Once again I think what’s losing the Spartans the fight is their tech if they had tech similar to the Interex than that completely changes the dynamic but they dont so too bad on them.

Besides the points moot anyway one company of Marines vs 1 Survivor and a small group trapped in a dyson sphere good luck MC!

Around a million Marines vs 1 known surviving Spartan and a small group trapped in a dyson sphere hmmm MC just give up

Around a Million Marines vs 1 million and one Spartans CALL THE IMPERIAL GUARD, TITAN LEGIONS, THE INQUSITION, THE CUSTODES, SISTERS OF BATTLE AND THE GREY KNIGHTS............... Sorry MC thought you stood a chance there for a minute

Chaos Space Marines vs 1 surviving and free Spartan...... Trapped an totured by the wonderful ruinous Powers.

Id like to state I play as chaos space marines and it rather pains me to give credit to the Astartes my brother however now has a smug look on his face.

Abbess Sanctorum

Lol at the thread necromancer attempting to compare the different physics of two completely different universes (40k, which doesn't suck, and Halo, which does).
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Nemesis 360 View Post
    Around a Million Marines vs 1 million and one Spartans CALL THE IMPERIAL GUARD, TITAN LEGIONS, THE INQUSITION, THE CUSTODES, SISTERS OF BATTLE AND THE GREY KNIGHTS............... Sorry MC thought you stood a chance there for a minute

simple as that! marine> nasterchief
    1000000marines> 1 masterchief

uncountable amounts of guardsmen, 1000 SOB, 1000 GK, 1000 custodians, ????? sisters of silence, 1000 titans, tens of millions of battle tanks, 1000 million armed LEGAL spacecraft, 100+ =][=, and 1000000 marines with banks support ect, AND THE GOD EMPEROR> 100000 UNC troopers, 100 odsts, 1 spartan 1000 tanks.

warhammer has a bigger universe so more guns.
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chaplain

We're back here, and ooh, the space marines are still better. Fancy that.
    Anti-FSM, Pro-MSoB and proud

Leman Russ > any sort of marine ever. Except maybe that guy from Armor, and only because he is cool.

And, of course, doomguy.

Spartans seem to be heavily inspired by 40k Space Marines, with them being indoctrinated and trained at youth, given bio enhancements and superior armor. The main difference is the tech that the two have available. SM armor is a helluvalot tougher than Spartan armor, even with the shielding added to it. SM bio enhancements trump Spartan enhancements a thousand times over. Extra hear, lungs, quit clot blood and acid spitting SMs and all a Spartan gets is improved muscle and reflexes? Haha, please.

BTW, in preparation of the Halo Reach beta, there has been a new live action short released that shows the "creation" of a Spartan. A tad over dramatic and they take some regular cannon fodder soldier and turn him into a Spartan instead of a kidnapped and indoctrinated youth, but I guess it sells. *meh*
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meVpsM7nG-U[/url]
    Check it: http://hotschnitzel.blogspot.com/

If you want to compare marines to spartans, don't compare a tabletop version to cinematic game version.
    Compare cinematic game with cinematic game, i.e. use the Inquisiter rulebook marines with inquisitor rules space marine power armour against Halo Spartans.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by kefka View Post
    sorry, i found this hilariously bad game and just had to post it.
    How many spartans can a space marine kill before he gets taken down?

[url]http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1265176060[/url]

my record is 1056
    that is fun!!!!
    SATAN in our lives is noted, all his vices often quoted and though he serves a spendid feast, at the table's head still sits the BEAST!!!!!!!!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Lol at the thread necromancer attempting to compare the different physics of two completely different universes (40k, which doesn't suck, and Halo, which does).
    You should be nicer to thread Necromancers! They were born that way...

Again, this argument is a moot point because Kratos, fresh from his victory over Chuck Norris, would weigh in on the situation. Bloodily.

Only to be overtaken my Samual L Jackson.
    Who is an extremely sexy man.
    My head hurts...
    Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppp......
    To whom it may concern...
    BAALLOOOOGGGAAAA WHALE!!!

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast