BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Trying to get Back into 40k after 3 years

So its been three years since I have played and quite a bit has changed. I play Tau and Space Wolves and I am probably going to start up again. I have the newest Tau codex but I have not purchased the Space Wolves codex.

Anyway a few quick questions.

1. Marker lights can remove cover saves, but does that affect Jink saves?
    2. What is the meta for game size, i.e. 1750, 1850, 2000 ?
    3. I have watched a couple of batreps and there are cards that are used, are these necessary to play?

Thanks for any help with this and hopefully I am not too far behind.

1. Yes, jink saves are cover saves.

3. No, but the cards just make maelstrom missions much easier and quicker. They're a very solid investment.

Thanks for posting a response and I guess I need to pick up some cards.

First-Captain

2. entirely depends on your local area... best just go to your FLGS/Club and ask folks there...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Yeah, the group there is small and if I get back into it I want to bring some other players back in so I was just wondering what the meta is. I think we will jsut aim for 1850. Thanks again for a fast reply.

Occuli Imperator

The meta is the harder one as that varies from place to place, amongst my group we play either 1k or 1.5k normally.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

@Wolfshade, do you think people are playing smaller games with 7th edition?

At the GW store I play at, we typically do 1500 points, but that's because it's a manageable number for getting a game done in 2-3 hours, and they don't want the tables hogged by people all day (even with three tables, there might be people having a hard time getting in a game on a busy day).

The tactical objective cards are great if you're playing Maelstrom of War missions. If you have a 7th edition army (Orks, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, Blood Angels, Dark Eldar), you're technically supposed to use different objectives for 11-16, but those decks aren't easily available, so you either have to use standard objectives or just look up what 11-16 are if you draw them. There were a couple of recent White Dwarf issues with cards for doing Cities of Death games (and rules in the magazine), but they're sold out online, so it might not be easy to find copies.

You can also get psychic cards for the core disciplines in the game, and the above mentioned armies that have psykers included psychic cards in the pack with their tactical objective cards.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by bob10182 View Post
    @Wolfshade, do you think people are playing smaller games with 7th edition?
    Not really, my gaming gorup always plays at that sort of size, it is manageable in an evening
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Ok, thanks a lot. I think we will stick with the 1500-1850 point games. For now I am sticking with Tau because they don't have a Psychic phase and they finally have a new codex. Well its new to me so I will go with them and then get back into my Space Wolves once I learn 7th edition better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast