BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Librarian

I thought Commissars (the basic ones, not the Lords) were relatively cheap?

Librarian

I'm probably wrong, but I think they're around 30ish points; but it's the 250-350 points for the 50 guys that is costly, then the 100ish points for the command chimera.

Like I said, at 500 points it can be done, but you have the base the whole army around the single unit.
    This can work well too. The undefeated winner of the Canadian combat patrol for the Medusa V event, was a lost and the damned army made of a 30 strong unit of mutants with 2 bosses both with powerfists, led by an aspiriring champion with fist (that like 9+ non-IC powerfist attacks).

Librarian

Default nice ideas

@ old paladin, yeah theres only a little problem with that as it only states that an inquisitor and his retinue or inquisitorial stormtroopers.

this is great news for friendlies as its a ton cheaper than i thought it would be, but its still not entirely legal for normal guard armies in the eyes of judges

[comeon forgeworld, hurry up and update the salamander (100points for an opentopped non-transport chimera - yes its fast, but its still not worth it!) and the vulture!]

@cactusman17

i did miss off some other rules which these last few posts have reminded me

• no special characters
    • no forgeworld only equipment (i'm guessing this includes tanks) but still allowed Infantry squads from FW

but yes i would agree that marbo would be great in a small game, for kicking general butt, although the "No ordnance" rule kind of stuffs him aswell lol

if ordnance was allowed and forgeworld gear, i would have made more effort to crowbar in my cyclops demo tank, its hilarious watching that explode!

My original plan (before reading the full rules) was to take an executioner, just for the serious death and high armour.. but it was the armour that ruled it out...

the problem i found was making points values of a platoon fit around the nicer units. if you take a veterans squad, you need more veteran squads to fill out the numbers, and they're a bit more expensive than normal infantry squads, but if you go for a platoon, you have to take the command section, but you get access to conscripts and heavy weapon teams etc

its kind of like being stuck between an expensive veteran rock, and a high in number hard place

keep it rolling!

Brother-Sergeant

I actually played a 600 pt Guard army Sunday... Granted, I used Imperial Armour 6, but still it's very doable and if you skip on all the ridiculous upgrades you can jam a lot of troops into such a small game. I made sure I left enough points to take a Hellhound and Leman Russ as well... Played 'Nids, toasted them.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Paladin View Post
    I'm probably wrong, but I think they're around 30ish points; but it's the 250-350 points for the 50 guys that is costly, then the 100ish points for the command chimera.

Like I said, at 500 points it can be done, but you have the base the whole army around the single unit.
    This can work well too. The undefeated winner of the Canadian combat patrol for the Medusa V event, was a lost and the damned army made of a 30 strong unit of mutants with 2 bosses both with powerfists, led by an aspiriring champion with fist (that like 9+ non-IC powerfist attacks).
    owch that mutant squad sounds nasty...

on the subject of nasty, i hope i dont have to pair off against a nob biker squad, that hurt so much last time...

Librarian

The mention of a Salamander made me remember something; what's the armour on a Hydra, is it 12/10/10?
    If so, drop something and take a Hydra with Camo netting.
    It has more firepower then a heavy weapon squad, and with a 3+ save in cover will be very hard to kill.

Edit: Nob bikes? in a 500 point game? what did the person bring, 10 grots as troops and as many Bikers as they could fit?
    Last edited by Old_Paladin; 08-04-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Paladin View Post
    The mention of a Salamander made me remember something; what's the armour on a Hydra, is it 12/10/10?
    If so, drop something and take a Hydra with Camo netting.
    It has more firepower then a heavy weapon squad, and with a 3+ save in cover will be very hard to kill.

Edit: Nob bikes? in a 500 point game? what did the person bring, 10 grots as troops and as many Bikers as they could fit?
    yeah a hydra would definately be a good investment, or a hellhound variant. (its a shame i don't have either yet, but as an advice forum its good to get all the ideas out on the table for others)

lol no i was pittedagainst nob bikers in a 1000point tournement a couple of weekends ago. and seeing i hadnt played 40k in 5 years, it was horrendous meeting them, i was not expecting a 40(may have been 20 i'm not familiar with the ork codex and cant rememeber how many there were) strong 2wound unit of rampaging bikers, with 4+ invulnerable save to reach my frontlines in the first turn...

are they expensive enough to be unavailable in such a small game?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by TSINI View Post
    Are they expensive enough to be unavailable in such a small game?
    Nope; but they are costly. Someone might be rude enough to take a small unit; say 5-6 bikes, some guys with pistol + ccw, some with 'uge choppas, a power klaw for sure and the painboss. The rest of the army would be very small though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12