BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

Default Blood Angels - Why they are the bestest eva!/My favourite

So picture the scene it's back in the 90s and there are essentially 4 types of space marines

Space Wolves
    Dark Angels
    Blood Angels
    Everyone else

This was it essentially. Sure Crimson Fists looked awesome on the art work, but they didn't have any rules.

The wolves were really different, but their kits were more expensive owing to the preponderance of metal, but they were cool, Vikings in Spaaacce, what is not to love? (Unless you are a costal monk that is)

Dark Angels, Death & Raven wings were cool, plus the watcher in the dark is just a cool miniature

Ultramarines or the Default Marines they were what was left when you took off the cool extras of the others.

I had actually planned to start an Ultramarine army, I went with my cash in hand to buy a box of 5 metal terminators for £20, but then I spotted something else.

This box:

Look at that.

All black, with red crosses lead by a guy with a skull for a helmet, how exciting is that! Then, even better instead of 5 metal terminators, there were 10 metal Death Company chappies with a choice of all the close combat options in the world (including the mighty power fists) [Well not quite the world but lots] and lead by a solid metal Chaplain all for £16.50! I know what you are thinking I was thinking of it too, not only is it cheaper but you get more, 163% more minature per £1. Which has to be good.

Then turning it over there is a bit of back story, about how they are driven mad by the visions of their primarch who knowing his death was certain went to face Horus. So every DC is re-living the climax of the HH.

This was epic, the story of self sacrifice, the visions of madness. It had it all.

Then who is this, "Mephiston, Lord of Death", his story was cool, the fact that he could be over come with blood lust and drink blood rather than fighting was so cool. The fact that he shared the same stats as a WFB Vampire Lord (including a faster movement to every other marine) was just cool.

So I think that is why I think the BA's are the best.

The striking impact of the DC with the back story of the BAs is a winning combination. Plus nostalgic thoughts of the thin red line crossing over the battle field in order to bring civilisation.

I don't think that it hurt that they were the main protagonists in the 2nd ed box set either, and my very first game I played was the war on armageddon with my Orks & Gretchin being annhilated by these super human red warriors who won't fall to autogun or axe.

As the BA has flowed through the different editions these icons have remained. The recent addition of the Sanguinary Guard was a welcome one I think, reflecting on the purer spirit of the BAs rather than focusing on the more base aspects.

You need both light and dark and these guys have it in spades, fighting on against the terrible foe, but also their own terrible taint.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    So picture the scene it's back in the 90s and there are essentially 4 types of space marines

Space Wolves
    Dark Angels
    Blood Angels
    Everyone else

This was it essentially. Sure Crimson Fists looked awesome on the art work, but they didn't have any rules.

The wolves were really different, but their kits were more expensive owing to the preponderance of metal, but they were cool, Vikings in Spaaacce, what is not to love? (Unless you are a costal monk that is)

Dark Angels, Death & Raven wings were cool, plus the watcher in the dark is just a cool miniature

Ultramarines or the Default Marines they were what was left when you took off the cool extras of the others.

I had actually planned to start an Ultramarine army, I went with my cash in hand to buy a box of 5 metal terminators for £20, but then I spotted something else.

This box:

Look at that.

All black, with red crosses lead by a guy with a skull for a helmet, how exciting is that! Then, even better instead of 5 metal terminators, there were 10 metal Death Company chappies with a choice of all the close combat options in the world (including the mighty power fists) [Well not quite the world but lots] and lead by a solid metal Chaplain all for £16.50! I know what you are thinking I was thinking of it too, not only is it cheaper but you get more, 163% more minature per £1. Which has to be good.

Then turning it over there is a bit of back story, about how they are driven mad by the visions of their primarch who knowing his death was certain went to face Horus. So every DC is re-living the climax of the HH.

This was epic, the story of self sacrifice, the visions of madness. It had it all.

Then who is this, "Mephiston, Lord of Death", his story was cool, the fact that he could be over come with blood lust and drink blood rather than fighting was so cool. The fact that he shared the same stats as a WFB Vampire Lord (including a faster movement to every other marine) was just cool.

So I think that is why I think the BA's are the best.

The striking impact of the DC with the back story of the BAs is a winning combination. Plus nostalgic thoughts of the thin red line crossing over the battle field in order to bring civilisation.

I don't think that it hurt that they were the main protagonists in the 2nd ed box set either, and my very first game I played was the war on armageddon with my Orks & Gretchin being annhilated by these super human red warriors who won't fall to autogun or axe.

As the BA has flowed through the different editions these icons have remained. The recent addition of the Sanguinary Guard was a welcome one I think, reflecting on the purer spirit of the BAs rather than focusing on the more base aspects.

You need both light and dark and these guys have it in spades, fighting on against the terrible foe, but also their own terrible taint.
    Bootiful, enough to bring a little tear of blood to the eye.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Didn't the HH novels retcon the curse to pre-date Sanguinius' sacrifice? Or am I mis-remembering.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Didn't the HH novels retcon the curse to pre-date Sanguinius' sacrifice? Or am I mis-remembering.
    The red thirst is pre sacrifice. The black rage/curse is post.

First-Captain

Great post wolfshade

Librarian

Quick follow up, do you still own them?
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chapter-Master

Yes they are.
    And red ones go faster...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Quick follow up, do you still own them?
    Of course! With their original paint scheme; which isn't that much worse than my current painting standard (which says more about how bad I am at painting then how good I was back then!). Though I fear a couple of arms have fallen off and never been re-guled lead and plastic was a crap combo.
    I don't think I have played a game without them.

Which reminds me of the 3rd ed builds I used to take to maximise the amount of DC.

When 3rd edition BA codex dropped, the DC went from being a cost per marine to a randomly generated with tax on the Chaplain/Reculsiarch (3 +D3). So my typical army would be feilding a pair of chaplains rounded out with Scouts (I think it was scouts). Before each game you had to roll to generate the Death Company, so I was sure of at least 8. Then for each squad you rolled on a roll of 6 a member of the squad was removed and put in the the DC with standard DC wargear, then you had to roll again. With scouts it was a great upgrade, when I lost 3 of a 5 man terminator squad to the DC I was less than impressed.

I think my DC has been included in every game of 40k that I have played (when using my BAs) even when "melee was not viable".
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Librarian

Of course! With their original paint scheme; which isn't that much worse than my current painting standard (which says more about how bad I am at painting then how good I was back then!). Though I fear a couple of arms have fallen off and never been re-guled lead and plastic was a crap combo.
    I don't think I have played a game without them.

Which reminds me of the 3rd ed builds I used to take to maximise the amount of DC.

When 3rd edition BA codex dropped, the DC went from being a cost per marine to a randomly generated with tax on the Chaplain/Reculsiarch (3 +D3). So my typical army would be feilding a pair of chaplains rounded out with Scouts (I think it was scouts). Before each game you had to roll to generate the Death Company, so I was sure of at least 8. Then for each squad you rolled on a roll of 6 a member of the squad was removed and put in the the DC with standard DC wargear, then you had to roll again. With scouts it was a great upgrade, when I lost 3 of a 5 man terminator squad to the DC I was less than impressed.

I think my DC has been included in every game of 40k that I have played (when using my BAs) even when "melee was not viable".
    Heart warming.

Brother-Sergeant

Yep, that's exactly how it started for me. In 1991 my buddies bought me the same ten man metal DC box set with a chaplain, and I have never looked back since. Been playing BAs ever since then. I still have the original models. Chaplain still painted up as seen on the front of the box, my painting skills were and still are mediocre. The ten DC have been repainted twice, from an initial tiger stripe DC paint scheme to the current classic black DC paint scheme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast