So picture the scene it's back in the 90s and there are essentially 4 types of space marines

Space Wolves
Dark Angels
Blood Angels
Everyone else

This was it essentially. Sure Crimson Fists looked awesome on the art work, but they didn't have any rules.

The wolves were really different, but their kits were more expensive owing to the preponderance of metal, but they were cool, Vikings in Spaaacce, what is not to love? (Unless you are a costal monk that is)

Dark Angels, Death & Raven wings were cool, plus the watcher in the dark is just a cool miniature

Ultramarines or the Default Marines they were what was left when you took off the cool extras of the others.

I had actually planned to start an Ultramarine army, I went with my cash in hand to buy a box of 5 metal terminators for £20, but then I spotted something else.

This box:

Look at that.

All black, with red crosses lead by a guy with a skull for a helmet, how exciting is that! Then, even better instead of 5 metal terminators, there were 10 metal Death Company chappies with a choice of all the close combat options in the world (including the mighty power fists) [Well not quite the world but lots] and lead by a solid metal Chaplain all for £16.50! I know what you are thinking I was thinking of it too, not only is it cheaper but you get more, 163% more minature per £1. Which has to be good.

Then turning it over there is a bit of back story, about how they are driven mad by the visions of their primarch who knowing his death was certain went to face Horus. So every DC is re-living the climax of the HH.

This was epic, the story of self sacrifice, the visions of madness. It had it all.

Then who is this, "Mephiston, Lord of Death", his story was cool, the fact that he could be over come with blood lust and drink blood rather than fighting was so cool. The fact that he shared the same stats as a WFB Vampire Lord (including a faster movement to every other marine) was just cool.

So I think that is why I think the BA's are the best.

The striking impact of the DC with the back story of the BAs is a winning combination. Plus nostalgic thoughts of the thin red line crossing over the battle field in order to bring civilisation.

I don't think that it hurt that they were the main protagonists in the 2nd ed box set either, and my very first game I played was the war on armageddon with my Orks & Gretchin being annhilated by these super human red warriors who won't fall to autogun or axe.

As the BA has flowed through the different editions these icons have remained. The recent addition of the Sanguinary Guard was a welcome one I think, reflecting on the purer spirit of the BAs rather than focusing on the more base aspects.

You need both light and dark and these guys have it in spades, fighting on against the terrible foe, but also their own terrible taint.