BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default WIP - 3d printed Warhound Titan

Hey guys and gals

I'm currently working on a 3d printable warhound titan. This is loosely based on the lucius pattern, since it's more straight angled and therefore, the stepping is less noticeable.
    This was designed to be printed on homebrew FDM 3d printers (in my case a leapfrog creatr) and has 73 parts.

A few renders (note, some parts have been changed in the final version, but as an overall, is similar)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	titan_preview_1.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	12535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	titan_preview_2.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	12536

The render looks terrific.

What's the precision of your printer and how does that compare to a printing service like Shapeways?

My printer's precision is severely inferior to the equipment Shapeways has, but the model was made with that in mind, to minimize the flaws that might need further fixing. Also, since this is such a big model, the scale of the details is also bigger.

First batch of parts

Name:	WP_20150113_002.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	12537

- - - Updated - - -

Early assembly of the leg parts

Name:	WP_20150119_001.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	12538

- - - Updated - - -

Main assembly primed and ready for gap filling and sanding

Name:	WP_20150127_003.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	12539

- - - Updated - - -

Current mocked up assembly. Thanks to a measurement error, the cowl is being reprinted. So, in this assembly there are missing 3 pieces, the leg guards and the neck cowl

Name:	WP_20150128_002.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	12540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150128_003.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	12541

Chapter-Master

very impressive
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

First-Captain

wow for a WIP 3D printed Titan, that's damned impressive, even for a 3D printer designed for home use like your's is, it is an amazingly detailed design, this is something I'm starting to look into for myself, though I'll be more interested ib replacement parts for broken figures and scenery....
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    wow for a WIP 3D printed Titan, that's damned impressive, even for a 3D printer designed for home use like your's is, it is an amazingly detailed design, this is something I'm starting to look into for myself, though I'll be more interested ib replacement parts for broken figures and scenery....
    Darren, if you haven't bought a printer yet and, have a large(ish) budget ($3000) and your main goal is to make stuff to use in regular 28mm (not titans or similarly sized stuff) or smaller scale, your best bet would probably be a SLA printer, like formlabs' form1+. It prints with a lot of detail and with a stepping so small, it's not noticeable at all. These FDM printers I'm using don't really deal well with small details at all.

The amount of want is strong in me right now.

This has been a desire of mine for awhile.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Joao David Silva Teixeira View Post
    Darren, if you haven't bought a printer yet and, have a large(ish) budget ($3000) and your main goal is to make stuff to use in regular 28mm (not titans or similarly sized stuff) or smaller scale, your best bet would probably be a SLA printer, like formlabs' form1+. It prints with a lot of detail and with a stepping so small, it's not noticeable at all. These FDM printers I'm using don't really deal well with small details at all.
    thanks for the advice, I'll look into one.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Currently assembled. only some final detailing required and it's off to painting

Name:	DSCN1290.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	12666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1294.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	12667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1295.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	12668