BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default decurion madness

ok, in the new dex, it offers the decurion wherein you can have up to 10 choices of formations if you buy the core choice. this gives you the added command benefit of +1 to RP rolls. but then the formations are all llisted in the back of the book, each stating- restrictions-none. does that mean i can add any ofthe formations to my CAD without buying the core group?? i would say yes. or is there a place where it specifically states that all the formations are decurion-only??

I can't comment on possible decurion-only formations since I don't have the book yet, but "Restrictions: None." under the formation's units/formations just means that you can take those units/formations as they are in the book with whatever options you choose.

E.g.: "2 Assault Squads, Restrictions: None" vs. "2 Assault Squads, Restrictions: Assault Squads taken as part of this formation must be equipped with jump packs."

Quote Originally Posted by joedrache View Post
    ok, in the new dex, it offers the decurion wherein you can have up to 10 choices of formations if you buy the core choice. this gives you the added command benefit of +1 to RP rolls. but then the formations are all llisted in the back of the book, each stating- restrictions-none. does that mean i can add any ofthe formations to my CAD without buying the core group?? i would say yes. or is there a place where it specifically states that all the formations are decurion-only??
    Yes, each of the formations in the back of the book could be taken without buying a core. You wouldn't get the command benefit.
    For example, you could do an entire destroyer army... nothing but the Destroyer Cult detachment repeated until you a full on points.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joedrache View Post
    The Restrictions are based on what is required in order to field it in the first place and not based on what they can be fielded with beyond that. As Wizzardx3 said, all Formations are Detachments, and there are no rulebook restrictions that may limit how many of them you can take (aside from unique models).

You can indeed use the formations without the decurion. But then you dont get the command benefits of the decurion or of your CAD for the units of the formations. As always the formations build an own detachment. Only with the decurion formation all chosen formations build only one detachment

First-Captain

Formations are a type of Detachment, the Combined Arms Detachment is a type of Detachment, units can not belong to more than one Detachment unless specifically noted.

So, you can have a Formation made of Formations, like the Decurion Detachment or the ones from the campaign boxed sets, but you can't take a formation as part of a CAD.

Banned

One should note that the Decurion is technically not listed as a Formation, but as a detachment, just like the Combined Arms or Mephrit Cohort. See Strike Force Ultra or Baal: Exterminatus for a Formation of Formations.

Chaplain

The Decurion Detachment is more of a Formation that includes multiple other Formations than an actual FOC detachment, its not the first Formation made up of other formations(Tyranids did it first months ago in the Leviathan Onslaught web supplement), and Formations may be used as a part of a Battle-Forged army without the need for a FOC detachment of any kind as Formations are treated as a detachment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    The Decurion Detachment is more of a Formation that includes multiple other Formations than an actual FOC detachment, its not the first Formation made up of other formations(Tyranids did it first months ago in the Leviathan Onslaught web supplement), and Formations may be used as a part of a Battle-Forged army without the need for a FOC detachment of any kind as Formations are treated as a detachment.
    It is not listed as a Formation, though, it is specifically listed as a Detachment.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    It is not listed as a Formation, though, it is specifically listed as a Detachment.
    correct but Formations are detachments as well, my point was only that it was more of a Formation than previous Codex provided detachments which were organized along lines closer to the FOC tables of a CAD or previous editions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast