BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Khornate Obliterators

I want to find something to use instead of the current Obliterator Models for my World Eaters Army. (I hate them). Anyone got a suggestion?

Librarian

Use more gruesome weapons - take a harpoon, or some flame stuff.
    Use a walking terminator and add the Bunny helmet of doom, then add weapons much like the BoLS article (which can be found under Brass Scorpion). Try to make them look effective rather than simply nurgle/daemon/weapons.
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

Hm, for sake of gameplay you need something with a similar size, but a large marine shouln't be too hard, maybe you might base it off some ogre/ogryn model.

Now, the hard part is to produce something that is shooty but also khornate. I've quickly run through some ideas in my mind and the only thing that kinda worked was if the model had a very orky "quiver" of weapons on his back, think Casey Jones, that might allow him to show some close quarter equipment "being used". Maybe using some abaddonesque claw+weapon couples.

But it boils down to: what do you hate about the obliterator and what is in your opinion khornate enough? (bonus points if it's shooty).

Veteran-Sergeant

Its a really weird looking metal model, and to me screams Slaaneshi, Tzeentchian, or Nurgle, just not khornate.

I have some spair Chaos Knight Halberds, maybe that could work

There's a long history of Khornate war engines using enormous cannons. Maybe you could make something work with the dragon-headed Chaos Predator weapons, skull muzzled cannons made of lollipop sticks, and as Madness said, some harpoons?

Brother-Sergeant

For some reason, I can see the following thoughts working just as well for Orks as well as Khorn-y Marines.

Buzz-saw Launchers. Do it.

Librarian

What about Ogryns/ Ogres as a base, it'll looks a hellluva lot less mutilated and zombie-ish.
    "STUPIDITY, If your going to do it, go for GOLD!"

If you're not tied to GW-only, my suggestion would be one of these...

...with any combination of two of these...

With a decent red/brass paint job, they would look stunning (IMO).

Product page: [URL="Pig Iron "Wardriods"1"]http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/wardroids-c-7.html[/URL]
    Rust, Dust & Ceramite - http://ceramite.blogspot.com

So if I got it right you want it to look less messy, with a cleaner mutation.

Body: for the body you need something big, either you supersize a terminator body (correct posture, using a method similar to those used by truescalers) or you pick a suitable frame and sculpt a lot out of it.

Head: the usual will do, berzerkers, forgeworld khorn terminator heads... if you want something extreme for the sergeant why not going exxxtreme and use a ... (dramatic pause) Juggernaut head. I didn't check if it would scale right, but it's surely unprecedented. I guess.

Weapons: this is the important bit, if you want them to look obliteratorey you have to pay attention to this one, now, the official models show 6/7 weapons of various kinds, that might sound like a lot, but it's actually quite doable.

First, there's always at least a couple of ccw, those have to be wielded so if you want to stay khornate to the limit, slap a chainaxe in a hand and something else on the other. But if you are willing to sacrifice SOME iconic features, go with power fist-like weapons, that means lightning/power claw, power fist or chainfist, using those weapons will give you more space for...

Secondly, ranged weapons, to add many of those, making the model look busy, but without getting the messy look of the official model, you ought to use the classic position for weapons, which are:
    underslung, a la Marneus Calgar.
    side-attached, a la Abaddon
    that would amount to 2 ranged weapons per arm, plus the 2 ccw,6 weapons, and the model should still be decent.

If you want to put more stuff there you could experiment with palm-weapons (see Huron Blackheart) or inside-attached (Vulkan) but I think they would take away from the overall look.

Another option might be shoulder-mounted weapons, chest mounted one would surely look too nurglish so I'm ignoring that option.

A friend of mine did a pretty convincing Khornate Obliterator for a commision a few months ago. It's about half way down this post:

[url]http://forums.eternityofwar.com/showpost.php?p=135912&postcount=210[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast