BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Has Anybody Made a Whirlwind Less...Rhino?

I am wanting to pick up a Whirlwind, but am not a fan of the current model, as I feel it should be more than just missiles on a rhino.

Has anybody made any conversions, even minor ones, just to make it stand out or a little different?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chapter-Master

there's a cool pic in collected visions in the IF warfleet which is a RT rhino but the top righthand corner is the pod!
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

If you get an immolator upgrade sprue, if gives you piece you mount on top of the rhino chassis that changes the vertical flow of the vehicle. You can also mount the missile launcher forwards on the vehicle. The missile turret is just the smallest bit too small, but some filing fixes that. That part doesn't have any sister' iconography (there is a fleur de lis "topper", but you can flip it and have the blank side facing up).

But... it IS a rhino. It's a rhino with a missile launcher, how else can you make it look?

1/48 Tamiya Sd.Kfz 250 with the Whirlwind launcher. Need to seal off the top with plasticard and utilize a Razorback/Predator turret ring.

Not half as goofy as it sounds. Maybe it is... but I like it a lot.

No pix (at work). Will upload in about 8.
    Rust, Dust & Ceramite - http://ceramite.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    But... it IS a rhino. It's a rhino with a missile launcher, how else can you make it look?
    The Predator is also a rhino with extra guns, but it manages to look pretty cool. I think there is a way to pull it off. Even adding the extra plating from the Vindicator kit or Predator kit would be an easy improvement. The area between the missiles and the tank chasis seems a bit wimpy. Adding a more rubust turret would probably fix the issue.

I don't know, I personally think that the whirlwind is supposed to look wimpy, after all, it is. What happened to wysiwyg?

Wasn't aware you were requesting modification of an existing GW kit.

I'm definitely not a "must be GW" strict WYSIWYG guy, so ignore my suggestion.
    Rust, Dust & Ceramite - http://ceramite.blogspot.com

Chaplain

I am also not hardcore WYSIWYG.

I would however like to simply convert the current Whirlwind model into something that looks less jarring. Anyways, I am loving some of the suggestions and the SoB one is a definite possibility.

Anyways, thanks for the help all.

Side mount the missile pods, so that they're slung under a sponson, ala the Pred's side cannons.

Or you could sink them in at about a 30 degree angle to the upper deck, so they're entirely internal - but if you do this, you'll need to modify the back ramp to something that looks like it could be opened to expel gas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast