BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Back In The Game And I Need A Question Answered

I haven't played 40k in over a year so the new formations and whatnot is a little confusing, but I'm jumping back in now that my Necrons got a new book.
    My question is, is there no way to have Crypteks and Lords lead your units of Warriors and Immortals anymore? I really enjoyed the 5th Ed style of Crypteks and Lords being sergeants in units, but with the new dex I'm not seeing this option anywhere

Thanks in advance,

Banned

Crypteks and Lords are Independent Characters now. That means they can jump from unit to unit all game.

Now, if you want to have a lot of Lords and Crypteks in your army, take the Royal Court Formation. It provides for an Overlord, 1-5 Lords, and 1-5 Crypteks (wow, that looks a little familiar). Be aware, though, that the Lords and Crypteks have more Wounds now and cost more than they used to.

As for Formations, they are detachments that allow you to field a very specific list of units and gain a Special Rule for being in the Formation. Once they hit the table, they are normal units in your army. Keep in mind, though, that aside from situations like the Decurion Formation, they do not get bonuses of a regular Detachment like the Combined Arms and Allied Detachment's Objective Secured which allows Troops to be really good at Scoring.

Wow, thanks so much for all the info and detail. I completely misread and thought Lords/Crypteks were just characters. I think I understand the formations a bit better, it's more like parts of a whole rather than completely separate like I thought.

Thanks again!

Been out for a while too and the formations and detachments are a little confusing. I know a lot of people left 40k for a while but it seems there are quite a few of us coming back lately. I think there are about 6 of us returning at my local store. Anyway, welcome back and I feel your pain with re-learning but it is nice to get some really good feedback from a very motivated community.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bob10182 View Post
    Been out for a while too and the formations and detachments are a little confusing.
    It can be. But the first lesson I can give in it is to "unlearn what you have learned" from 40K in the past and read the section on creating your army as if it was completely brand new (cause it is). The biggest sticking point is that people keep thinking of armies in the classical pattern (now known as a Combined Arms Detachment or CAD), and they don't have to be, especially with 7th Edition codices.

In fact, as 7th Edition codices have come out, they have relied more and more on Formations to do their thing. Codex: Blood Angels has zero units that do not take up a slot (except Dedicated Transports, of course), while Codex: Space Marines have numerous units (especially in HQ) that are slotless. BAngel Command Squads are Elites, while Codarines are HQ and slotless with most of the Characters.

Necrons also fit this. And with the loss of Cryptek flavors, they then use Formations to do what 3rd Edition Lords used to provide for units or 5th Edition Lords and Crypteks provided as support for units.

There are rumors to expect more of this. I'm still on the fence on if this is a good or bad thing. Largely because GW's implementation tends to be very ham-handed when doing things like this.

Ok so should I just expect the old idea of Force Org. chart with having 3 elites, 3 heavy support and 3 fast attack with compulsory 2 troops and 1 HQ going away? If so then I probably need to rethink my army lists.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bob10182 View Post
    Ok so should I just expect the old idea of Force Org. chart with having 3 elites, 3 heavy support and 3 fast attack with compulsory 2 troops and 1 HQ going away? If so then I probably need to rethink my army lists.....
    Not any time soon. In fact, there are a few areas that don't recognize any Force Organization BUT the Combined Arms Detachment, but that's another story.

Right now there just isn't enough internal support for every army to be operating without the Combined Arms Detachment. Only a few are up to 7th Edition standards, and only Necrons come with enough Formations internally to start consistently operate without the classic Detachment style that relies on Roles.