BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

not sure if your actually saying the spore pod is worse than a drop pod?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lhu27 View Post
    We can all sit and say everything is fine and the game is better then ever but its not. 40k AS late as 2006 was IT for miniature war gaming every year. The only thing keeping the game afloat in my opinion is the Best Science Fiction in the world and the best over priced plastic in the world. With 3D printing only a few year off from being a legit problem GW has to do something and it has to do it quick.
    On another note, the skeptic in me says that GW is doing something about 3D printing, namely, maximizing thethe boards return before the crash
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Oh boy, buckle up. I feel a tirade coming... *deep breath*

-Instinctive Behavior is still a thing, but Phase Out is not.
    -Tervigons do more to hurt Termagants than actually help them.
    -Getting swallowed whole by a Mawloc is a Str 6 hit that ignores armor and causes 1 wound. Getting swallowed whole by an alien horror should not feel like getting headbutted by a Diglett.
    -It is physically impossible to represent a stage of Tyranid assault where the enemy is beleaguered, exhausted, and running out of ammo.
    -Ammo is never a factor in general.
    -MC Deathspitters are no better than normal Deathspitters, but MC Devourers are measurably better than both Devourers and Deathspitters.
    -Hive Tyrants can't have warp fields.
    -Carnifexes are brutal line breakers bred for melee combat, but hit Guardsmen on a 4+.
    -Toxicrenes' armor can be ignored by Krak Grenades, a weapon literally carried by every single solitary Space Marine in the game.
    -Venom Cannons fire volleys of venomous shards, but are single-shot anti-tank blast weapons.
    -Deathspitters fire a gout of acid, but are represented by having multiple shots.
    -Spinefists aren't Pistols.
    -A pair of CCWs for a Tyranid does not confer extra attacks on its own.
    -Mucolid Spores that deep strike and land on enemy units suffer a Deep Strike Mishap.
    -Spore Mines that deep strike and land on enemy units suffer a Deep Strike Mishap.
    -A Trygon Prime is just as effective at smashing a Dreadnought as a Riptide.
    -Tyranids can Perils of the Warp like everybody else, even though they don't tap into the warp enough to use other lores. Not even Biomancy. You can't have it both ways.
    -Hive Tyrants and Zoanthropes tap into the power of the Hive Mind ad are psykers. Warriors and Trygon Primes do the same thing, and are not. You can't have it both ways.
    -Shadow in the Warp, a presence that chokes off all foreign warp presences except for the Hive Mind itself, doesn't actually make it harder to cast psychic powers.
    -Shadow in the Warp, a presence that chokes off all foreign warp presences except for the Hive Mind itself, makes it easier for a daemon to attack a careless psyker's brain.
    -Shadow in the Warp affects other Tyranids.

I could go on. ...So I will.

-MC smashing is only one attack, no matter how many attacks the MC actually had.
    -MC smashing is always Str10 because no MC has a base strength less than 5.
    -WC3 powers are statistically 4 times as hard to cast as WC1 powers.
    -Invisibility is a Telepathy power... meaning that by casting it, you've affected every single brain who could've participated in that game, no matter how far away. And I've seen Tau Skyrays shoot their seeker missiles at different stores in some mega-battles. So your psyker literally just haxorzed every brain in the universe just to make himself and his close buddies see-through.
    -For that matter, things that are invisible all work differently. For Stealth Suits, it's Stealth + Shrouded. For Lictors, it's Stealth + Marbo Strike. For Telepathy users, it's snap fire + only hit on 6s in melee. Pick one.
    -Invisibility affects things that are blind. Like Mawlocs. And Hive Guard. For that matter, so does Blind.
    -Knights can perform Stomp attacks that can instantly kill things taller than they are.
    -Rapid Fire Battle Cannons are not Rapid Fire.
    -Loyalist Marines have access to Malefic Daemonology.
    -Loyalist Marines have more access to Daemon Weapons than the Chaos Marines of Nurgle, Tzeentch, and Slaaneesh put together.
    -Bikes and Jump MCs can jink by spinning doughnuts in place. Jump Infantry cannot jink at all.
    -You can charge after jinking. You cannot charge if you walked across some arbitrary imaginary line... what's a "table edge"?
    -Jump Infantry can only use Hammer of Wrath attacks if they jump in the assault phase, but Bikes, MCs, and Striking Scorpions can always Hammer of Wrath.
    -Striking Scorpion mandiblasters, precision face-mounted laser blasters, are best equated to a rule that represents getting slammed into by a warbike.
    -FMCs can fall. Flyers cannot.
    -Flyers' ability to shoot things is dependent on where they are located when they make arbitrary changes in their trajectories, rather than at any point in their flight path.
    -Flyers cannot crash into each other.
    -Land Speeders and Vypers aren't flyers.
    -FMCs, Jump Infantry and Jetbikes can't assault flyers.
    -The area under flyers is impassible terrain.
    -Twelve Space Marines, or half that many Jump Infantry, can fit in a Stormraven. Ten Space Marines, but never Jump Infantry, can fit in a Land Raider.
    -A blast weapon can scatter further than the distance between the firer and the target, including but not limited to directly onto the firer.
    -You can miss a target at point-blank range. You can hit a target at maximum range. The odds are exactly the same.
    -Twin-Linked weapons can never hit the same target twice.
    -Storm Bolters, whose barrels are separated by centimeters, are Bolters that fire two shots. The Barbed Stranglers carried by Tyranid Harpies, separated by several meters, are twin-linked.
    -You can't charge when you get out of reserves, but you can shoot just fine.
    -You can't charge on the first turn, ever. You can shoot on the first turn just fine.
    -You can't charge out of a non-open-topped transport (except Land Raiders & Stormravens). You can shoot after disembarking from one just fine.
    -Land Raiders and Stormravens have assault ramps. Rhinos and Razorbacks have disembarking ramps too, but I guess their ramps aren't special enough.
    -Special Weapons cannot be picked up if their carrier is slain.
    -Tau design Plasma Rifles to not overheat because of their sophisticated, efficient technology. Those same technicians also designed the Riptide power core, which overheats twice as often as human Plasma weapons, ignores armor and shorts out the entire array for a whole turn.
    -Dreadknights are Monstrous Creatures. Penitent Engines are walkers.
    -"And They Shall Know No Fear" and Fearless are both USRs with different effects, implying there's a difference between having fear and "knowing" fear.
    -Champion of Chaos. So your champion is brave enough to do something stupid like stare down a Hive Tyrant, but cowardly enough to flee from combat and get cut down? You can't have it both ways.
    -Night Lords, Iron Warriors, and recently-turned renegades that hate chaos must petition the chaos gods for gifts and may not choose to do otherwise.
    -Daemonic Ascension vaporizes your Champion's armor, weapons, wargear, previously-attained daemonic gifts, and potentially counts towards First Blood and Slay the Warlord.
    -Daemonically ascended Chaos Lords have exactly the same stats as daemonically ascended Cultists.
    -A 20-something Cultist who kills a Shas'el gets daemonhood. A 10,000-year-old Chaos Lord who torches an entire subsector gets nothing.
    -Undivided Champions can ascend to Undivided Daemon Princes, but Daemon Princes purchased in your army list can never be designated as Undivided.
    -Daemon Princes exist in two different books that are both Battle Brothers to each other.
    -Recently-turned renegade marines lose their drop pods, Razorbacks, non-standard Land Raiders, Scouts, Flyers, Land Speeders, Attack Bikes, and every gun more sophisticated than a Plasma Cannon.
    -Night Lords cannot see at night.
    -Blight Grenades work on fellow minions of Nurgle.
    -Serpent Shields are better anti-tank than Autocannons.
    -Serpent Shields have longer range than Autocannons.
    -Serpent Shields are better anti-tank than Lascannons.
    -Serpent Shields ignore solid steel barricades, but not Ork T-shirts or Termagant skin.
    -Axes are only unwieldy if surrounded by an energy field. Clearly, it's the energy field that adds all that weight.

It took me about an hour to come up with all that. When I can come up with and type out one fluff-to-tabletop inconsistency per minute in a game that keeps droning on about forging the narrative, the sheer incompetence at work here is beyond denial.

Quote Originally Posted by ReveredChaplainDrake View Post
    the sheer incompetence at work here is beyond denial.
    The race car is just as fast as the boot in Monopoly.
    In Clue, the candle stick does just as much damage as the gun.
    In chess, the queen is faster than a knight.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

A story about how the game and fluff don't match... it's pretty funny - [url]http://www.theindependentcharacters.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7897[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    I really don't think its the incompetence thats beyond denial, your lack of a life is though.

- - - Updated - - -

In Risk, Cannons move as fast as Cavalry.
    In Mousetrap, you use cheese to lure the mice into the cunning but frankly over engineered trap, when really, mice prefer chocolate or peanut.
    In Battleship, you guess where to shoot at where as actual battleships have RADAR
    In Operation, brain and heart surgery have similar difficulty to working on an arm or leg.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    In Operation, brain and heart surgery have similar difficulty to working on an arm or leg.
    Snakes and Ladders has you riding down on the back of a snake, realistically, this would break the spine of a snake.

Scout

No, the game does not match the fluff and never has, even at the height of it's complexity and that is OK. It doesn't need to. I am playing a game, not a book.

First-Captain

I like that most of these are "I think my army is underpowered so its obviously a flaw in the game"

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Snakes and Ladders has you riding down on the back of a snake, realistically, this would break the spine of a snake.
    [edit]
    Whoops, got confused who I was replying to.
    Last edited by Cactus; 02-10-2015 at 01:29 PM.

If the game were to match the fluff we also wouldn't be able to cherry pick the best of everything; we would have to make due with what resources were available to us and learn to use sub par units that weren't as points efficient and we would have to play in conditions and missions that were not always balanced or to our favor.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast