BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

but the fact is if their secrecy were costing them a lot of sales, they would stop.
    Perhaps its not the secrecy then that's costing them sales - but their financial statements clearly indicate that *something* is costing them sales.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

something has cost them some sales, but they still made a huge profit for such a small company.

it is just incredibly irritating to see all this 'GW have got it wrong, they are so stupid, I know better'. business is never that simple. they don't act on a whim, and they have a far better idea than anybody here as to what their financial situation is, and what the pitfalls are. Not aimed at you Def, just in general.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    something has cost them some sales, but they still made a huge profit for such a small company.

it is just incredibly irritating to see all this 'GW have got it wrong, they are so stupid, I know better'. business is never that simple. they don't act on a whim, and they have a far better idea than anybody here as to what their financial situation is, and what the pitfalls are. Not aimed at you Def, just in general.
    The only reason GW even made any profit last quarter is because they've cut out as much operating cost as possible. That trick only works so long until there's nothing left to trim.

I don't want this thread to devolve into another "GW sux!" thread, but I'm equally as amused by people who think that GW has their business figured out despite all recent evidence to the contrary.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

First-Captain

Its also really simple to explain why secracy is a better business model.

A cool box comes out, say, Harlequins, and you want them so, on impluse you say, ok, I'll grab a few of them, and next week maybe a voidweaver oh and a solitaire, forgot the get that! Then you may as well grab the codex and the cards. Then, a few months later when Mechanicum appear, you buy a few boxes of them, because you've always wanted a mechanicus army.

If you knew what was coming out this year, you might think, they're cool, but I think I'll hold off a but, I know Mechanicum are coming soon and I'll save my hobby dollars for the Ad Mech, as you've always wanted those.

Chapter-Master

cutting operations doesn't net the kind of profit they reaped though. I am not saying they are perfect, but they know a damn sight more than anybody here.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

First-Captain

I'd love/hate to see a business ran by what the business expert GW haters go by. How quickly do you think it would tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Canary trap? Sounds plausible... but the conflicting reports suggest they're leaking like a sieve.
    GW has done it in the past before several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Remind yourself that this is GW.

Secrecy is their modus operandi.
    TIL that GW is the Inquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Perhaps its not the secrecy then that's costing them sales - but their financial statements clearly indicate that *something* is costing them sales.
    My money is that WFB as it stands has been a sinking ship. With them doing the End Times they're setting up for a massive overhaul, and a clearing out of old kits (and Finecast) and streamline the product line. This is a good thing for the bottom line.

Of course if that works they still have a failing Brick and Mortar sales model that could stand to be dropped at this point, at least in North America. That'd help cut costs quite a bit.
    Last edited by Clockwork; 03-11-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Fly Lord

Just in from [URL="http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303432-rumours-plastic-horus-heresy-box/?p=4008991"]Atia[/URL] on Bolter & Chainsword 4-15-2015

Coming Very Soon - Horus Heresy Product:

"Horus Heresy - Age of Darkness"
    [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/the-horus-heresy-age-of-darkness"]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/the-horus-heresy-age-of-darkness[/URL]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gallery_79873_10492_1127.png 
Views:	851 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	13670
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

BAH! This is why I hate the lack of foreknowledge. I was thinking maybe I'd go for the Eldar next week (still got a case of them to assemble at home, even though I gave my brother all my dad's old painted Eldar... hey, I didn't paint them, I'm not that attached). But I don't want to drop $58 on that if something like this is coming the week after, especially as I'm doing a Horus Heresy campaign with some friends.

This is not really great planning on G-Dub's part, though... First weekend of the month for a major release like this? Bad move. That's rent time. Can't imagine I'm the only person who'll be down on cash because of bills, and I don't want to lean on my credit card. I could try to save up some money for then, but it means I won't be making purchases at the GW store, so hopefully it won't hurt the quota and cause the manager any issues.

It's also payday - the best time to raid our wallets.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast