BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Newbe Lore Questions: Eldar

My knowledge of the 40k Universe is ok. I played years ago in 3rd then quit for a while. Even then I defaulted to the Imperium because humans. Anyway slowly getting back and looking into the Lore I really do NOT like the Imperium. Granted I like playing humans in games but the Imperium as a whole I just really dislike, and over time its gotten worse. I play humans (both "good" and straight up evil) in other universes who I really like their stories/background so I decided why keep with the Imperium if I just dislike them so much?

So I started reading around and stumbled on the Eldar. Their fall and general story has caught my interest and the idea of playing "space elves" does amuse me some. I like the idea of Exocite Eldar and wonder if they really have much war technology they keep in Caches for when enemies invade or are they all Dino/Dragon riders? I like Craftworld Eldar as well, just had an idea of an Eldar nation/craftwood that while still has technology to fight but has a very high respect for nature. Hopefully all these elf comparisons do not annoy you all too much. Not the greatest converter so cannot make an army like isotope99 has is not possible for me.

Any help would be great!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayP226 View Post
    My knowledge of the 40k Universe is ok. I played years ago in 3rd then quit for a while. Even then I defaulted to the Imperium because humans. Anyway slowly getting back and looking into the Lore I really do NOT like the Imperium. Granted I like playing humans in games but the Imperium as a whole I just really dislike, and over time its gotten worse. I play humans (both "good" and straight up evil) in other universes who I really like their stories/background so I decided why keep with the Imperium if I just dislike them so much?

So I started reading around and stumbled on the Eldar. Their fall and general story has caught my interest and the idea of playing "space elves" does amuse me some. I like the idea of Exocite Eldar and wonder if they really have much war technology they keep in Caches for when enemies invade or are they all Dino/Dragon riders? I like Craftworld Eldar as well, just had an idea of an Eldar nation/craftwood that while still has technology to fight but has a very high respect for nature. Hopefully all these elf comparisons do not annoy you all too much. Not the greatest converter so cannot make an army like isotope99 has is not possible for me.

Any help would be great!

As far as making exodites goes, you've got to bear in mind if you're going for a 'counts as' force, or whether you're going to want to come up with lots of home brew rules - i.e. making exodite dragon knights you have the choice of if you're going to base some home-brew rules on the 2nd edition profiles for E.D.K's or if you're doing them as counts-as guardians on jet bikes.

Lore-wise, there is a general idea that the craftworlds look to protect their exodite cousins, although some craftworlds may do a better job than others. Even standalone, you could probably assume that the exodites will still have good technology - they may choose to avoid it in day to day life making them the equivalent of Amish Eldar, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're naive enough to assume that they're never going to have to use anything to protect themselves.

So, I think it would be fair to assume that aspect warriors and large amounts of war machines could be included in an exodite force, but as reinforcements from a craftworld, but that they are still quite likely to have a guardian-esque force of their own.

You might find you could use the wood elf tree man as an Avatar-stand-in, as a personification of the world spirit. For home brew rules it might be interesting to look at changing its immunities away from fire, and maybe more nature-based, perhaps poison resistance?

I'm not sure if that has answered what you're asking?

Quote Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
    As far as making exodites goes, you've got to bear in mind if you're going for a 'counts as' force, or whether you're going to want to come up with lots of home brew rules - i.e. making exodite dragon knights you have the choice of if you're going to base some home-brew rules on the 2nd edition profiles for E.D.K's or if you're doing them as counts-as guardians on jet bikes.

Lore-wise, there is a general idea that the craftworlds look to protect their exodite cousins, although some craftworlds may do a better job than others. Even standalone, you could probably assume that the exodites will still have good technology - they may choose to avoid it in day to day life making them the equivalent of Amish Eldar, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're naive enough to assume that they're never going to have to use anything to protect themselves.

So, I think it would be fair to assume that aspect warriors and large amounts of war machines could be included in an exodite force, but as reinforcements from a craftworld, but that they are still quite likely to have a guardian-esque force of their own.

You might find you could use the wood elf tree man as an Avatar-stand-in, as a personification of the world spirit. For home brew rules it might be interesting to look at changing its immunities away from fire, and maybe more nature-based, perhaps poison resistance?

I'm not sure if that has answered what you're asking?
    Somewhere it mentions that Biel-tan specifically likes to defend Exodites, also some Exodites do have access to their own Knights too, but they dont really have access to normal Eldar crafting materials (They do sort of, but its rare). Though it mentions that the animal bones and horns are a halfway substitute.