BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

I would have put the ultramarines and there succesors under hardest, because the massive diversification of the chapters that come from their geneseed means that they have no similarity to bind them together like the Flaw or the Unforgiven
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Theres a bit in the last Night Lord book where the Night Lord "legion" is pushed of Tsulaga. Its not the 41st Millenium but the legions have broken up into chapters.

The attack on the planet is perpetrated by EVERY Ultramarine Sucessor chapter. Socnear full legion strength
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

As well as Space Wolves let's also not forget Black Templars who to all intents and purposes are still acting as a Legion.

If memory serves nobody knows exactly how many Black Templars there are as they are split into Crusades and some Crusades could almost even number the equivalent of a Chapter.

First-Captain

On a pure numbers game, yes, there are enough space marines to form 9 Legionnes Astartes.

Supply and logistics wise, it would take a great rehaul of the Imperium and how it works probably need to bring the Mechanicum back closer in line with them, however, in universe terms, that would likely take a person of great respect to lead, either the Emperor or possibly Dorn/Robute to push for, there are Inquisitorial factions pushing for the resurrection of the Emp or a Primarch for exactly this reason, to finish the Great Crusade.

Chapter-Master

The Dark Angels still operate more or less as a legion don't they?

Technologically there's no real reason the imperium couldn't do legions still.
    It's the politics that prevent. All the different factions of the Imperium are more concerned with their own little corner of it.
    Look at the examples from the BL/extended background universe.

Vandire
    The cardinal that invaded Fenris
    The sabbot worlds crusade post Slaydo.
    More or less every book written that involves more than one organisation.
    Anything that involves the mechanicus.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Theres a bit in the last Night Lord book where the Night Lord "legion" is pushed of Tsulaga. Its not the 41st Millenium but the legions have broken up into chapters.

The attack on the planet is perpetrated by EVERY Ultramarine Sucessor chapter. Socnear full legion strength
    aye, but thats like 32nd maybe 34th millenium, we're talking 8000 years or so later, even in marine terms thats a long time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    On a pure numbers game, yes, there are enough space marines to form 9 Legionnes Astartes.

Supply and logistics wise, it would take a great rehaul of the Imperium and how it works probably need to bring the Mechanicum back closer in line with them, however, in universe terms, that would likely take a person of great respect to lead, either the Emperor or possibly Dorn/Robute to push for, there are Inquisitorial factions pushing for the resurrection of the Emp or a Primarch for exactly this reason, to finish the Great Crusade.
    ...holy ****, I agree with path, or at least partially. I disagree that iit is likely such a charismatic personage is found however

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StraightSilver View Post
    As well as Space Wolves let's also not forget Black Templars who to all intents and purposes are still acting as a Legion.

If memory serves nobody knows exactly how many Black Templars there are as they are split into Crusades and some Crusades could almost even number the equivalent of a Chapter.
    Yes space wolves are still a "legion" though canon is they we're never a "big one" and post heresy they aren't nerely as large as the original. and black templars while being unkown in number were formed from HALF the imperial fist legion, and given the general decay of the imperium its unlikely they have increased in number since
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

Dark Angels form The Unforgiven and work closely together but they're still separate Chapters with their own home worlds and responsibilities.

The Legions didn't have a region of the Imperium to protect from threats, there job was crusading and conquering, the Imperium needs guarding now

Chapter-Master

But as evidenced numerous times during major campaigns they appear to follow the lead of the DA chapter mater, and iirc have been accused of "legion building" before.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    I would have put the ultramarines and there succesors under hardest, because the massive diversification of the chapters that come from their geneseed means that they have no similarity to bind them together like the Flaw or the Unforgiven
    I thought current fluff is that UM are the most used as a primogenitor chapter because of the stability of their geneseed. And that those successors honour the UM as their forebearers.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Brother-Captain

Logistically speaking it shouldn't be that much of an issue, after all Terra's population was enough to produce the 20 initial legions, which although they were smaller at that point than at the height of the crusade they were much bigger than current Chapters ( the Thousand Sons were considered close to extinction with only a 1000 marines).

It also worth considering that during the crusade there were at least twice as many marines which were used as the primary fighting force of the imperium rather than some guarded elite and the greater casualties were easily dealt with. The 40K restriction in numbers is created by the Codex Astrates rather than a lack of resources. The real issues are as Psychoslopdge says, political, who would carry enough clout to go against the High Lords and the Codex.

Of course the Codex is not the word of the Emperor but he isn't exactly chatty anymore

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast