BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Airbrushing Cheating? Rant & Studio Update

So is Airbrushing Cheating? Hear my rant, and get some tips and techniques to help your hobby arsenal!

Subscribe to the channel HERE

Want even more? Checkout spikeybitsblog.com

yes. it makes a 10 hour job into an hour job for blending large areas and even smaller areas. once i got to a certain level of skill it was about how much time i wanted to put into the blend to make it more and more seamless, airbrush eliminated that hard choice of "look flawless up close" or "look flawless a foot away"

that being said i am going to learn to use one eventually because i dont enjoy taking 100 hours to finish a large monster to be my centerpiece and i dont enjoy the "standard" to which my faster painting on core/troops comes out with a brush. airbrush cheating is a-ok by me unless its in a contest

should be airbrush and brush for GD and crystal brush imo
    Last edited by eosgreen; 02-19-2015 at 10:13 AM.

It is not cheating, sheesh... it is using all the tools available to do the best possible job in the shortest amount of time.

It helps you achieve the looks you want that you might not be able to do otherwise.

Just another tool, easy to use, difficult to master. Plus if you have airbrushed your base blend it makes detailing far more tedious as you can't easily fix mistakes. I personally prefer old school painting but master painters achieve wonderful results with the airbrush.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Thaldin View Post
    It is not cheating, sheesh... it is using all the tools available to do the best possible job in the shortest amount of time.

It helps you achieve the looks you want that you might not be able to do otherwise.

so then steroids are not cheating. they dont make your muscles bigger they allow you to work more and built them faster. jesus christ a-rod is a good guy after all... someone tell someone

and no there isnt a blend you can do with an airbrush that a brush cannot achieve, the brush just takes 10 years longer. you ever seen vehicles with the folds and what not blended? that takes me FOREVER to do with a brush and totally puts me off from playing 40k. you know those belly flaps on dragons or the giant wings you can blend with a brush? again airbrush kills this in 10x less time

airbrush is a tool, it isnt "cheating" but it is compared to a paintbrush lol and its MUCH easier to use

a great example of bad brush blending that still won a GD many many years ago is in an OLD codex of chaos (fantasy) there is a gold dragon. Its kinda green ish with gold scales and gold (membrains?) the flaps that make up the wings are blended from a brown to a bone ish color. you can clearly see the blend though because while he was a good painter he didnt put in the time to blend it seamlessly. is this because he couldnt? possibly but more likely the time it takes to seamless blend multiple large areas like that is so long with a brush it might take more than the entire model put together so he just went with that.

i also site wraithlords that are all airbrushed and make them look godly attractive. its PURE airbrush virtually no brushwork and it looks sooooooooooo freaking good. a brush would take 400 hours to do that same job that prob took them 200. maybe even more hours with a brush

TLDR - its cheating compared to a brush just not cheating in general
    Last edited by eosgreen; 02-19-2015 at 11:09 AM.

I would challenge that an airbrush is easier to use than a regular brush. People who are good at airbrushing take time to learn how to do it. How to adjust the flow, use the proper tip, using even smooth swings of the brush.... Much like people who are good with regular brushes.

Once people are skilled at using an airbrush, yes it reduces the time required to do some very complicated techniques, but it is a skill all the same...

For the record, I do not own one, but I am considering buying one to learn.

And quite frankly, comparing a tool such as an airbrush which takes skill to use, to a performance enhancing drug which augments physical ability is a poor comparison.

Should decals, stencils, masking liquid and tape all be considered cheating as well since they bump into freehand painting? And while an airbrush greatly reduces the time to get a blending effect it does require skill to make it happen.

I actually do own one taht I won at an event but have never unboxed it. Maybe when I have enough time to be frustrated as they appear to be quite fiddly to learn.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Should decals, stencils, masking liquid and tape all be considered cheating as well since they bump into freehand painting? And while an airbrush greatly reduces the time to get a blending effect it does require skill to make it happen.

I actually do own one taht I won at an event but have never unboxed it. Maybe when I have enough time to be frustrated as they appear to be quite fiddly to learn.

yes learning to mix the paint, getting started etc is rough. the harder thing to learn is a constant though. where to paint and how are all cross platform skills.

also getting the right parts/compressor matters. i find that my series 7 works just as well as the GW brushes (well thats a lie but pretty close) while airbrushes are night and day between good and bad ones

actually the steroid comparison is IDENTICAL with this topic. steroids dont improve your performance lol. they allow muscles to rest/regenerate faster so you can workout. take this from someone who played sports his entire life and works out 4 times a week. i cant lift more or else im hurting myself. if i were to take steroids i can now lift 6 times per week. i still need to put in the work

airbrush is identical to steroids in that it reduces the time it takes to get results of a certain level

i didnt even say it took no skill i said it was cheating compared to a brush. painting is about skill and then when everyone is about the same skill level its about time. if i wanted to win a golden demon for example, i have to become skilled at painting but then most importantly invest the time into a model. i can put 100 hours into a single model and prob get a bronze/silver. if i were to put 100 hours into a vehicle or large monster with an airbrush, all of the long blending i did with a regular brush would be cut down so much that i can invest the other hours into further improving other areas

is this cheating? not in the normal sense of the word but in a hobby where time dictates the product, a tool that reduces time spent is certainly close to cheating no?

btw BUY ONE AND START LEARNING. you can knock out an entire army to a perfect tourny point standard in a month. its sickeningly good with tanks/large monsters and BASE COATS. base coats take so much time....

also paint pens are cheating side note. stencils that you paint over are not cheating and decals look awful so go ahead and use those lol

For something to be "cheating" there is implication that there are rules that you must be following, since cheating is breaking rules. What rules must be followed when painting models? None that I am aware of.

Librarian

Certainly not cheating, just another technique and tool. Is good drybrushing, or spray cans cheating? I find that many of the airbrushed vehicles I see look 'airbrushed' and not really all that great.
    I see many of the top painters (like Angel Giraldez's Infinity models) use the airbrush to lay down tones and zenithal lighting (though usually light-dark tones, not just white on black).

The airbrush is also a tool that is available to everyone, an expensive tool but still accessible. Heck my brushes are around $20-30 USD a piece, and I have 5 (my actual painter friend has $120 brushes!).
    If you can complete in something like the Crystal Brush, then you can save up for a decent airbrush.
    Last edited by JMichael; 02-19-2015 at 12:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast