BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default The lowly BA Tac Sgt, able to Gunslinger???

Git into a recent debate with some fellow BA players.

I am under the impression that you can not take wargear/weapons traded from one table and trade them on a seperate table.

They take to opposite point of view... they cant find a rule telling them that they cant.

I know GW is quasi-human and makes mistakes, but wouldnt they just list boltguns as swapable under ranged weapons rather than force players to swap it on the meleetable for a free chainsword to swap on the ranged table?

And if they are right why does the Dev sgt on page 88 bullet 4, have the option for a chainsword swap there...

Is there a timeline/flow for generating wargear, do you go through the unit line entries before going to the tables?

Is this a case of RAI vs RAW???

Occuli Imperator

"The space marine may take items from the ranged weapons and/or melee weapons list"

So there is no swapping things between lists. You can just take them from either of the lists.

Consequently if you have twin pistols you then get gunslinger rule
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    "The space marine may take items from the ranged weapons and/or melee weapons list"

So there is no swapping things between lists. You can just take them from either of the lists.

Consequently if you have twin pistols you then get gunslinger rule
    That was my understanding...

The other folks are convinced that the rules dont forbid multi swapping. The sgt has access to both list

They have been trading the boltgun on the melee table for a chain sword... then trading the chainsword on the ranged weapon table to a pistol

Finally they trade the original pistol for another specialty pistol....

I feel like the tables are suppose to be mutually exclusive, but i can find written rules to support this. Any help source/citing this would be helpful

Occuli Imperator

No where does it say anything about swapping, they are suffering from false conciousness.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    No where does it say anything about swapping, they are suffering from false conciousness.
    It's not like it is forbidden either. There is no order of process limiting the use of both lists one after the other and using the one to provide additional access to the other.

The "and/or" statement allows the list to be use both at the same time, after all.

Occuli Imperator

Exactly, it isn't so perscriptive to say you must sway your chainsword with a melee weapon or the bolt pistol with a ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by from the Blood Angels Codex:
    Ranged Weapons
    A model may replace its bolt pistol and/or Melee weapon with one of the following:
    There's no reason for them to have to do any foundational changes to their weapons loadout to get 2 pistols, although it is a little strange that there's no option in any book, as far as I know, to take 2 basic pistols on a Squad leader (with the exception of 30k, Renegades, and maybe SoB).

Veteran-Sergeant

I must be missing something, because I see this option in a number of codexs. The CSM codex lists a CSM squad aspiring champion has a bolt pistol, Bolter, and CCW but has the option to pull from melee or ranged weapons. Ranged weapons says 'replace one weapon with, so he could wield 2 plasma pistols, the SW codex has a simular entry under Wolf Guard Battle leader for several squads, and the SM codex allows the same through a 2 stage swap.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.