BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grey Knights and Imperial Knights?

Hey all! I just picked up a small GK lot and I can already see they struggle with a lack of ranged firepower and a reliable screen for their elite assault units. I was wondering if an Imperial Knight or two would make a good compliment to the Grey Knights? I love how cool the giant robots look and would love to run them behind a wave of shining terminators!

Also, out of curiosity, what other allies do the GK like to have supporting them?

Chapter-Master

I'm currently 3-0-0 at the LVO with GKs allied with Knights, so definitely a good combo. Problem is, there are some match ups I probably can't win. The right DE army or 5 flying Tyrants would almost be an auto lose.

GKs really need anti-flyer. A Fire Raptor would be the perfect addition to most GK armies, but you need SM allies to do it. Luckily, Draigo and Centurions are best buds as well.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Thanks for the info and congrats on the current showing! Would you be willing to send/post your current list? I'm very curious to see what you decided on?

GKs really need anti-flyer.
    My immediate thought would be a Mortis Contemptor with quad autocannon; is that not legal because it's FW?
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    My immediate thought would be a Mortis Contemptor with quad autocannon; is that not legal because it's FW?
    The Contemptor/Mortis aren't available as a choice for GK, although you could chuck one into the Space Marine allied detachment.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

GKs don't get anything worthwhile fron Forgeworld, just a couple crappy razorback/land raider/dreadnought variants that are all terrible.

I'm playing the following:

Librarian
    2x 5 termintors, 1 hammer, 1 psycannon
    3x Dreadknights, psycannon, 2 w/ daemonhammers, 1 w/ sword
    2 Imperial Knights Errant (the melta one).
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I take it bare-bones Stormravens are no help?
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Darklink, while it is barebones, that looks like an incredibly fun elite army to run! What armies do you usually play against? How do you pilot this list?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    GKs really need anti-flyer. A Fire Raptor would be the perfect addition to most GK armies, but you need SM allies to do it. Luckily, Draigo and Centurions are best buds as well.
    The Fire Raptor also has the advantage of not looking godawful, like the Stormraven does.

Chapter-Master

The Storm Raven is very mediocre. Compared to the fire raptor, storm wolf, etc, you just don't get much bang for your buck. Flyrants and the like could care less about a Raven, but a Wolf or especially a Raptor will have them jinking left and right.

I finished 14th overall, 5 wins, 1 loss, 45 out of 60 bonus points. My one loss was to Allan Pajamapants, he had three flyrants allied with summon spam daemons with two princes and fateweaver. He really only could have lost through sheet incompetence, but seeing as he's a top 40k player it wasn't much of a game. Like I said, GKs need anti flyer.

This was actually the first time I've ran Imperial Knights myself. It was fun to play. We have a pretty good local tournament scene, with some of the big west coast players as regulars (paul mckelveys tau, steve sisks space marines, etc). I don't face many daemon summon spam or some of the other east coast meta armies, so there's definitely room for me to learn to play better against certain things, and I hold myself back a bit playing the units I want to play over more competitive options, but I'm pretty happy with my games. My only loss was out of my control, there were a couple real close games, and I was able to recover from the handful of play mistakes I made.

Dreadknights help you play to the mission very well. Lvo uses modified malestorm as secondary for 3 pts, the primary is 4 pts and are based on the book missions, and first blood, warlord, and linebreaker are one point each. If I could fit in a fire raptor, I would be pretty confident going in to just about any game, with a few minor tweaks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast