BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How many force org charts can you have?

Hi all. As the title says, how many force org charts can you have in a legal army and are they still battleforged?
    An example would be nice also cheers.

Brother-Captain

You might be a little confused, which frankly is easy to do these days, about how "battleforged" armies work. First of all, there is only a single Force Organization Chart. For example, I decide to take Imperial Guard and decide that I want to keep it "battleforged". I therefore have to abide by the options given under the Force Organization Chart: 1 HQ and 2 TROOPS required minimum, with an option 4 TROOPS, 3 FAST ATTACK, 3 ELITES, and 3 HEAVIES. Also optional are the ability to take 1 Fortification and 1 Lord of War. All of that, so long as it doesn't violate the structure of the FoC (6, not 7 Troops, etc) means that the army is battleforged and is also detailed as my "Primary Detachment."

Now, there are other "detachments" and "formations" that you can take.

If I decide that I want to take some Space Marines to fight alongside my Imperial Guard, I can. There is an "Allied Detachment Force Organization Chart" that has the following: 1 HQ and 1 TROOP required minimum, and then 1 extra Troop choice -- but only 1 FAST ATTACK, ELITE, and HEAVY. So I could add in a Space Marine Captain, a Tactical Squad, and some Terminators (as an example Allied Detachment). These count as a "Secondary Detachment" and are not part of my "Primary Detachment."

Formations are special. They are specific groupings of units and often have special rules attached to them. There is no limit to the number of Formations that you can include in your army -- so long as you still have a Primary Detachment. Meaning that so long as I have 1 HQ and 2 Troops for my primary army, I can then add as many Tau Hunter Support Cadres as I can fit into my points limit. It truly is rather evil.

That answer you question well enough?
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Short answer? As many as you want.

Long answer? As many as you want, provided you fulfil each detachment's minimum requirements. You can also add any number of formations, provided again that you fulfil their requirement. Of course, every unit is only ever in one detachment or formation, so you cannot use the same Tactical Squad in your Combined Arms Detachment and a Formation (though you could of course use multiple Tactical Squads).

So for example, I choose my Primary faction to be Blood Angels and I begin by choosing a Combined Arms Detachment from the Rulebook. I include a Librarian (HQ) and 2 Scout Squads (Troops), so my compulsory units are all there. I can now add 1 more HQ, 3 Elites, 4 Troops, 3 Fast Attacks and 3 Heavy Supports, but I don't have to. My first detachment is thus legal and I can either add to it or add a second detachment. I want to do that, so I can now choose a Combined Arms Detachment or a Blood Angels-specific detachment like the Flesh Tearers Strike Force. I choose to add the Flesh Tearers Strike Force, buying a Chaplain (HQ), a Tactical Squad (Troops) and an Assault Squad (Fast Attack), which means I have filled all the compulsory slots in that detachment (each detachment uses its own specific chart of what can and must be included). I can now add another HQ, 3 Elites, 3 Troops, 5 Fast Attacks and 3 Heavy Supports to that detachment or go back adding more stuff to the Combined Arms Detachment. I can keep adding more detachments as long as I want and have points to spare.

Of course, each detachment and formation has its own benefits too, which only its units will have. So in the case above, all the Troops from the Combined Arms Detachment have Objective Secured, but the ones from the Flesh Tearers Strike Force don't, as their detachment does not have that rule.
    Last edited by Tokunator; 02-22-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks guys.
    What is a combined arms detachment?
    Are there different types of foc?
    Could i therefore have a foc of space doggies using their rules and a foc of BA using their rules and a foc of SM using their rules?
    Would they all be able to secure objectives with the appropriate units?
    Crikey 7th ed is more complicated than before, tho im not complaining by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Could i therefore have a foc of space doggies using their rules and a foc of BA using their rules and a foc of SM using their rules?
    Crikey 7th ed is more complicated than before, tho im not complaining by the way.
    The objective secured rule comes from the combined arms detachment, which is similar to the old foc or from the allied detachment. Other detachments may have other rules. But you can indeed have a combined arms or allied detachment taking from codec SM, another taking units from codex SW and a third taking units from codex BA all in one army, as long as you have the requirements of all three detachments.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    First of all, there is only a single Force Organization Chart.
    This is so wrong. Every non-Formation Detachment has a Force Organization Chart. And now there are quite a few of them. There are is even one very unique one that places Formations and Units in its Force Organization Chart.

Thanks guys.
    The classic Force Organization Chart for 3rd-5th Edition and the Primary Detachment that adds the Lord of War and Fortification to it. You can have as many of these as you want so long as your points hold out, and each one can be from a different codex. This is the standard "core" detachment everyone has access to and can use.

Quite a few now. The rulebook has 2, Combined Arms and Allied. Imperial Knights, Assassins, and Inquisition all have their own. Each of the Seventh Edition codices carries one, so do their Supplements. The Baal Campaign has at least one for every army involved.

And that's not including Formations, which have a specific organization, but they don't technically have a chart.

So long as your points hold out. You can add even more from there if you choose.

With a very rare exception, any unit can secure an objective. However, Troops organized in a Combined Arms and Allied Detachment can block other units from doing so and have it all to themselves (unless they also have the same rule).

It is, and it isn't. It's only complicated when you keep thinking in 3rd-6th Edition army design. Toss that out, and it's really not that complicated.

First of all, there is only a single Force Organization Chart.
    Uh...

Combined Arms Detachments have one Force Organisation Chart.

Allied Detachments have a different Force Organisation Chart.

Ork Horde Detachments have a still different Force Organisation Chart.

And so on.

Formations are special. They are specific groupings of units and often have special rules attached to them. There is no limit to the number of Formations that you can include in your army -- so long as you still have a Primary Detachment. Meaning that so long as I have 1 HQ and 2 Troops for my primary army, I can then add as many Tau Hunter Support Cadres as I can fit into my points limit. It truly is rather evil.
    Or, you could just designate one of the Firebase Support Cadres as your Primary Detachment, and one of your Broadside Shas'vre as your Warlord. He'd even generate a Warlord Trait, because the requirement is "character," not "independent character."

Thanks guys.
    Yes. You could have a detachment of Space Wolves, and that could be a Combined Arms Detachment (CAD) or an Allied Detachment (AD) or one of the Space Wolf-specific detachments from their Codex or the Champions of Fenris supplement; plus a detachment of Blood Angels, which could be a CAD or an AD or one of the Blood Angels-specific detachments from their Codex or the Shield of Baal Exterminatus campaign book; plus a detachment of Space Marines, which could be a CAD or an AD (no 7th Edition Space Marine stuff yet, so as far as I know the only other detachments for vanilla Marines are Formations).

However, one thing you can't do is take nothing but Allied Detachments. This is because you must have a Warlord, and your Warlord must be chosen from your Primary Detachment (which is the only thing Primary Detachment means any more), and the Allied Detachment has a rule that says you can't choose it as your Primary Detachment.

Now, you mentioned securing objectives, so let's talk about Command Benefits. Detachments that aren't formations grant benefits to some or all of the units within them. Objective Secured is the Command Benefit of the CAD and AD; almost anything can claim an objective in 7th, but Troops units (including Dedicated Transports bought for Troops units) from a CAD or AD can claim objectives even when an enemy unit is contesting them (unless the enemy unit also has Objective Secured). Other detachments have different benefits. For example, if you decided to organise the Space Wolves into a Wolves Unleashed Detachment instead, each unit in it would roll to see if it gains Outflank; if you organised the Blood Angels into a Baal Strike Force Detachment, each unit in it would get +1I on the charge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    The Baal Campaign has at least one for every army involved.
    Except Sisters.

Thanks loads guys.
    So if i have 3 or 4 CAD do i have to choose one hq as warlord for the lot. Or does each get its own warlord that applies to only its CAD units?

Your entire army has one Warlord (though in Apocalypse games you may have multiple armies per side). If that Warlord has a Trait that affects all units within a radius, it will work on allied units that are Battle Brothers.

It doesn't have to be an HQ choice, though; it just has to be a character.* You'll usually get best results with an Independent Character, but if you really want to you can make some lowly Sergeant your Warlord.

*If you have managed to create an army with no characters at all (probably because you made it out of nothing but Formations), then any model can be your Warlord. They won't get a Warlord Trait out of it, but still count for all other purposes, like the Slay The Warlord secondary objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Your entire army has one Warlord (though in Apocalypse games you may have multiple armies per side). If that Warlord has a Trait that affects all units within a radius, it will work on allied units that are Battle Brothers.

It doesn't have to be an HQ choice, though; it just has to be a character.* You'll usually get best results with an Independent Character, but if you really want to you can make some lowly Sergeant your Warlord.

*If you have managed to create an army with no characters at all (probably because you made it out of nothing but Formations), then any model can be your Warlord. They won't get a Warlord Trait out of it, but still count for all other purposes, like the Slay The Warlord secondary objective.
    Cheers bud.

I have always wanted to field the army from the HH 3rd novel. Sons of horus with world eaters and emperors children. With the full panopolly of characters. Now i can do so. 7th ed maybe the best yet because of that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast