BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Does make some sense for Necron Warriors - as their feet currently stick out over the edge of the base.
    Well, Necron Warriors, Immortals, and Crypteks are as STRong and Tough as a Space Marine... Of course, Lords, Overlords, Praetorians, and Lychguard are even Tougher and STRonger, so they should be on 40mm, right?

As neat as the idea of upgrading my bases seems, the last time I tried to remove plastic models from bases (glued immortals to 40mm bases on accident) I ended up in a urgent care getting stitches to put my thumb back together.

I decided afterward that an exacto knife is a horribly dangerous tool to remove plastic models from bases when you use GW plastic glue and instead went with sprue clippers to get them off. This worked well although it slightly misshaped the bottoms of their feet making them concave.

So, for those rebasing their guys, what technique are you using to remove your models from their base? If it's exacto you are a brave one indeed.

For me it'd be a combo. Clip until most of the material is gone, then use the knife to carefully cut the remainder away. Use the wrecked base for rubble or just chuck it.

My fingers already have plenty of marks from a knife, though. Since I tend to put in a fresh blade before I start on a major project, a lot of my larger models have blood on them somewhere. I had to stop working on my Knight for a short period because the parts were getting too sticky to work with. (I christened my Khorne dice at the same time.) I just accept it as a hazard of the job. Also, I tend to have a really weird disconnect with handling things safely, even if I "know better." You should probably not follow my techniques.

Brother-Captain

I've found that if I paint the base and model before gluing, the plastic glue has enough bite to hold them securely as long as I need while still just enough give that they snap apart when a vigorous twisting is applied. Then there is just a bit of quick sanding and retouching around the feet. Your mileage may vary, my army is dark eldar and my troops tend to have only a small portion of foot on the ground to begin with.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chapter-Master

I'm conflicted - taking apart 30 immortals, 10 triarch praetorians and rebasing the whole lot sounds like a lot of work I don't really want to do (A chore) but on the other hand I do think the new bases suit the models a LOT more and they look much better on them. I'm wondering if anyone sells some kind of "base expander" or something that can slot around the old ones to make them 32mm.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone sells some kind of "base expander" or something that can slot around the old ones to make them 32mm.
    I can't go to the sites and grab URLs because a lot of them are blocked by our office firewall, but a Google search shows up a few options:

[url]https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=25mm+to+32mm+base+adapter[/url]

Heck, it's such a popular search that just typing in "25mm to 32mm" shows the first option completing the search with "base adapter."

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Because for some reason being asleep for sixty millions years means everyone woke up dreaming about straddling an imaginary horse or something...
    thanks. pmsl.

my biggest pain is the drunken scorpions who even when 'weighted' fall over at the slightest hint of a breeze, tyranids and orks who act like mating frogs and csm terminators

not that its an easy job but a larger basic base size and probably even a 'larger' mid base size wouldnt hurt the visuals.

{dont mention tau drones or nid zoe's}

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12