BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

It's also worth considering that (unless you're some kind of pro painter) you will paint your models to a much higher standard if you paint something you want to paint. So if you've got a thing for green and a thing for Khorne then the standard of your painting will be higher if you paint within those parameters

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Despite all of the positive, "paint them as you like" comments, it's the few comments like this make me want to stick the codex schemes.
    Really? They make me want to paint orange Salamanders and blue Daemonettes out of sheer spite.

Despite all of the positive, "paint them as you like" comments, it's the few comments like this make me want to stick the codex schemes.
    No way! Paint what you want, the way you want. Jeez, youve got to question the mind set of someone who has issues with the colour of your fictional angry space maureens!
    Sure pink SS storm troopers versus yellow british paras in an arnhem refight would be pretty grim. But fantasy based, do what pleases you.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Really? They make me want to paint orange Salamanders and blue Daemonettes out of sheer spite.
    LMAO! yer killin' me!
    na na na na na... wut?

Veteran-Sergeant

Does it bother anyone else playing opponents with off-colored models? Especially when green typically means one set of rules and red means another? Should I give in and just paint my models however I want?
    Paint them how you want and play them how you want. In the end (and beginning) it is a game meant to be enjoyed. I personally would not bother to play with people that had a problem with my armies because they were not painted 'correctly'.

One of the points of the game is that the galaxy is vast and there have been 10k years of space marines, chaos space marines, humans and xenos killing each other. Which is enough time that any player built force is at least possible.

Maybe your khorne berzerkers are red/green colour blind and the other raiders make fun of them >.>

I absolutely love the fluff in this universe. It's what keeps me going... That being said... a well painted army is a well painted army, it doesn't matter if it lines up with the fluff or not... Do what you want, enjoy YOUR hobby, and have fun. =)

I have Purple Blood Angels. I agree with some of the above posts, i also hate cheesy back stories. Mine is simple. a successor chapter. Reason for their colours. Because I love the blood angels but don't want to paint them red because well I just don't.
    I feel like people are more cautious on colour schemes when it comes to marines. Which I don't understand because I have played so many xenos forces that AREN'T say iyanden eldar or black heart DE or silver necrons. why do people feel more obliged to stick to the colours GW demonstrates to Us for marines? Paint how you want to paint them. They are your models. You've paid for them and the paint.

I feel like people are more cautious on colour schemes when it comes to marines. Which I don't understand because I have played so many xenos forces that AREN'T say iyanden eldar or black heart DE or silver necrons. why do people feel more obliged to stick to the colours GW demonstrates to Us for marines? Paint how you want to paint them. They are your models. You've paid for them and the paint.
    Probably because the Space Marines are the only army that comes with special rules that only is distinguished somewhat by the color.
    The difference between Biel-Tan and Alaitoc Eldar is just the color and the background. You are granted no special rules for playing either.
    Iyanden gives you a different set of items/powers but doesnt add on anything else.
    Playing black heart DE grants no benefits over the black unicorns of firey torment cabal.
    Necron Rules do not change because they are silber, black or neon-orange.

Space Marines do. Imperial fists and Ultramarines can field exactly the same army and yet have different special rules.
    That is why people tend to be stricter with chapter colors... have seen a lot of white scars sucessor chapters that did amazingly look like Ultramarines, Salamanders or Black Templars.... for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Probably because the Space Marines are the only army that comes with special rules that only is distinguished somewhat by the color.
    The difference between Biel-Tan and Alaitoc Eldar is just the color and the background. You are granted no special rules for playing either.
    Iyanden gives you a different set of items/powers but doesnt add on anything else.
    Playing black heart DE grants no benefits over the black unicorns of firey torment cabal.
    Necron Rules do not change because they are silber, black or neon-orange.

Space Marines do. Imperial fists and Ultramarines can field exactly the same army and yet have different special rules.
    That is why people tend to be stricter with chapter colors... have seen a lot of white scars sucessor chapters that did amazingly look like Ultramarines, Salamanders or Black Templars.... for some reason...
    I'd still rather see your examples than the legendary "50 Shades of Grey" Chapter. As long as the player states what army he/she is using at the start, who cares? I've yet to hear a player whine "its not fair, you only won because your space doggies were pink!"

There's also the issue of which paint scheme you follow.

Back in the days of Epic, Dark Angels Assault Marines were noted for their Grey Helmets. By the time 2nd Ed rolled around, that had been dropped.

Rhinos should have the squad designation painted on their top, so that Titan crews can identify who is where, and plan accordingly - same applies to air units now I suppose.

If you're going to criticise someone for not following the present accepted Codex pattern of armour painting, then expect them to point out and illustrate where you've gone wrong.

Or we can all just accept this is an inherently creative, collaborative hobby, and leave each to their own. Yes, including those who paint their Marines as The Random Chapter Marines, and then switch around exactly which Chapter rules they use. Up to them.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast