BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

As long as the models themselves are clear as to what they represent, paint scheme matters much less.

So, in this example....

Actual Plaguemarine models painted Red and Brass? No issue from me, as I can clearly see what's what just based on the model.

Generic Chaos Marines painted Red and Brass and used as Nurgleseque/Plague Marines. but being used in an army alongside the traditionally red and brass painted Khorne Berserkers? Yeah not so fair.
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 02-26-2015 at 07:02 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Non fluff painted... Hell, I have a Space Wolf based army that is entirely converted and painted to its own fluff as a Private Military Contractor fore in the 40k universe.
    For example - I do not use power armour or bolters were possible - every marine is built from a scout marine with a shotgun.
    Custom transports, custom mechs, custom flyers - its all unique to my force.
    But everyone knows what is what as I have made sure that its damn near WYSIWYG.
    And that the important thing as noted by several already - having clarity with only minor explanation / few inquires is the key

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    About the only thing I wouldn't countenance for my own paint scheme is Astartes in camo painted armour.
    They used to actually use camo schemes at times.

I imagine there might actually be chapters as well that utilize camo of some sort, because they might actually do the kind of psychological warfare that involves unseen strikes at the enemy. But such an army shouldn't have things like Land Raiders, Vindicators, or even Terminators in every match, because those are things that make a lot of noise. (Unless you have a really good story about using those kind of units as a frontal assault that gets the enemy's attention, then the "hidden" Marines ambush the enemy, catching them between two groups of Marines and crushing the opposition.)

Awesome thing about having so many unnamed chapters is you can actually make fluff for them and make it work.

Chapter-Master

I actually think Khorne is better represented by non-red colours - take for example the world eaters in their heresy colour scheme too - you can still add red in the form of blood splatter which looks much more gorier and appropriate than on something already red (which would make it hard to see)
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

I think it would be cool! I have no problem with someone going outside of the fluff and have in the past helped several of my friends come up with creative paint schemes for their armies. I would just clarify to that person that they are berserkers, other than that I look forward to seeing a test model!

warbands fracture all the time. Maybe your leader decided "screw these jerks" and took the guys that would follow him and decided to repaint their armor to disassociate with their former friends (or at least make a bunch of capture slaves do it.)

Who says blood has to be red?

I once had the privilege to play against a chaos player who's entire force was made up of renegade marines from across the legions / chapters his khorne berserkers I remember were a mix of marines from across the chapters in all different colours witha common theme of a red mark of khorne gaudily painted across their armour.

The rest of his force was like this also with common themes to tie it all together like matching pauldrons and banners etc it looked awesome and was extremely fun to play against and when I lost with my own loyalists he added a fallen marine from my own force to his which helped to add a narrative to the whole force,

Also if you are in doubt on how armies that should be red look when painted green look for some images of green scorne from hordes some of them look awesome and don't lack the menacing threat their red counterparts have

Did you buy the models? Did you buy the paints? Are you applying the paint? It seems to me that if you answered yes to all of these questions then no-one else has any right to question your decision at all. You don't even need a specific reason for it. "I just like green" is a perfectly valid reason for painting your Khorne CSMs green rather than red. When it comes to playing games, if you have written your army list down in advance and your opponent is clear about what you're playing then it's not a problem. I'd even go so far as to say if you find someone who doesn't want to play against you simply because you didn't paint your models the same way as Games Workshop, then you probably don't want to play against them either - they're obviously a douche bag.

I rarely paint models the same scheme as Games Workshop, for me it's all about making an army look cool and if that means painting stuff a different colour, converting models or just flat out proxying well that's what I'm going to do. GW models don't come with an EULA. Not yet at any rate.

You want to paint your Khorne CSMs green? JFDI.
    Last edited by onlyonepinman; 02-26-2015 at 04:21 PM.

and your opponent is clear about what you're playing then it's not a problem.
    And this is where it could be a problem as already mentioned.
    Not too different from: "..and this Flamer is a plasma gun, but this one isnt. The melta over there is actually a missile launcher and the one next to it has Plasma instead of a Bolter.
    It can get really confusing to keep track in a game where certain players can't even remember which psyker had which powers or even the current turn number.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast