BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Baneblades and other Big Things?

So, random thing, Rules question, because I just don't have every single codex and dataslate and supplement and expansion on hand...

I have a Space Marine army.

I want to add something big to it. A real 'Centerpiece' model. I know for Imperial Knights, you just get that codex and ally, right? What if you want something like a Baneblade? Or one of the Forgeworld things, like a Sicaran or a Fellblade? Do those count as 'allies' from a different rulebook, or are they considered as part of the Space Marines Codex and take up a certain slot?

Any help is appreciated!

Banned

Forgeworld Relic units like the Sicaran can be used as Heavy Support for 30K, or can be used on a 1/TechMarine basis of Heavy Support from Imperial Armour 2.

Imperial Knights are their own army and have their own codex and detachment.

Baneblades (and their huge family of variants) are Lords of War for Imperial Guard, but no one else.

Forgeworld has a list of [URL="http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/L/lordsofwar.pdf"]Lords of War choices they provide for Escalation[/URL], which also means they count as a Lord of War for a Combined Arms Detachment of the listed army.

From that we learn that Space Marines can take Thunderhawks, Marauders, Reavers, or Warhounds as Lords of War.

Librarian

Awesome.

So in order to take a Baneblade in a Battleforged list, I'd have to ally with Imperial Guard and take at least one HQ and one Troop to be able to take the Baneblade, right?

And for those relic things, I need to take a Tech Marine before I can take something like a Sicaran or those other things.. Is there a list of the Forgeworld Relic units one could take?

Correction- you may take a single Relic of the Armoury (Sicaran, Javelin Speeder, Storm Eagle Gunship, Predator w/ Plasma Destroyer or Heavy Conversion Beamer, Whirlwind Scorpius) in a Primary Detachment (the one with your Warlord) without needing anything special. If you wish to run more than one Relic vehicle, you must take a Keeper of the Relics (Master of the Forge for Codex Marines, Interrogator Chaplain for DA, Reclusiarch for BA, Wolf Priest for SW) as one of your HQs. A Secondary Detachment may take a single Relic, but they must take a Keeper of the Relics as the Detachment's HQ to do so.

Alternately, IA 2 2nd Edition has several new heavy units and Lords of War for Space Marines, 40k versions of the large Heresy tanks. These include the Fellblade (a Marine-spec Baneblade with improved weapons), the Typhon (Super-heavy Vindicator equivalent), Cerberus (Super-heavy Neutron Laser platform), and Spartan (25-seat stretched Land Raider, *not* Super-heavy, same body as the Typhon/Cerberus).
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Quote Originally Posted by DrBored View Post
    Awesome.

So in order to take a Baneblade in a Battleforged list, I'd have to ally with Imperial Guard and take at least one HQ and one Troop to be able to take the Baneblade, right?
    One HQ and two Troops. Ain't no Lord of War slot in an Allied Detachment.

If you used the Armoured Company list from IA1, though, all three choices could be Leman Russ tanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    a Primary Detachment (the one with your Warlord)
    I know that's what that means now, but when FW wrote it in 6th it was the equivalent of a Combined Arms Detachment; you could, at 2000 points, have a second Primary Detachment. So there's room for some clarification by FW there about how Relics work in 7th.

Battle-Brother

I'm working on a Stormblade for my 30k World Eaters at the moment. 30k has multiple LOW in their codex

Chapter-Master

Typhon...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    I know that's what that means now, but when FW wrote it in 6th it was the equivalent of a Combined Arms Detachment; you could, at 2000 points, have a second Primary Detachment. So there's room for some clarification by FW there about how Relics work in 7th.
    Huh. I thought it was Main/Allied in 6th (don't have a 6th book handy anymore to check) rather than Primary/Secondary, and I also thought IA2 came out near the same time that 7th did.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

It started out as Primary / Allied, then things got funky with Inquisitorial Detachments and Imperial Knight Detachments (which themselves came in Primary / Allied flavours) and I don't know where FW pulled the "Secondary" terminology from.