BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

That was released wasn't it?
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    That was released wasn't it?
    Sadly no...

Veteran-Sergeant

It was sculpted by one of their prospective sculptors at the same time as Commander Farsight and an ejected battlesuit pilot, the Farsight model actually went into production as the current miniature, and the Kroot Shaper was shown in the 5th Edition rulebook. But it was never sold
    By The Brass Balls of Khorne- http://khornesbrassballs.blogspot.com

Brother-Sergeant

Sounds cool. I played with the Kroot Mercs list about 10 years ago.

Everything in plastic would be neat.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBored View Post
    I'm getting a bit skeptical though. Admech, Genecult, Deathwatch, and Kroot Mercs, all supposedly getting new lines of minis? There's only so much shelf space in stores, GW.
    Well if the other rumors about dropping large amounts of the fantasy line...and LOTR going direct only are true they should have some shelf real estate opening up soonish.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gamgee View Post
    Ah man not a Tau suppplement.
    Probably no more than Inquisition, Militarius Temptestus, and Harlequins.

I'm sure Kroot will be able to ally with more than Tau, just like Harlequins can ally with more than Eldar and Dark Eldar.
    Indeed. If they follow the old Kroot Mercs list, they could ally with almost anyone BUT Tau, though. They didn't want their extended DNA search to be known by the Tau.

I'm getting a bit skeptical though. Admech, Genecult, Deathwatch, and Kroot Mercs, all supposedly getting new lines of minis? There's only so much shelf space in stores, GW.

I'm waiting for Admech to come out, then I'll maybe put a little more faith into the rest...
    Welcome to the salt mines of Games Workshop rumors.

Still, aside from Ad Mech, Kroot Mercs and Genestealer Cults are probably the most popular requested sub army now that Harlequins have a proper release.

I've always loved Kroot and hated Tau. I hope I can "hire" (enslave) a Kroot Merc force with my CSM.

Here is my opinion on the influx of Supplement forces:

They are the new shiny money makers for GW. First off they are already established in the Lore and thus requires less writing/story making than a new army, also many of these forces have no miniatures, or they are old/limited. Thus most people's collections do not include them already. Being a supplement army means GW doesn't need a full sized Codex/Army release thus they don't need to devote a ton of sculpts to this new/flushed out army. This means 2 to 3 release cycles and done... completely... no units that they MIGHT fill later that companies like Chapterhouse can pounce in on and make the units GW never bothered to produce.

So you have this Lore established force, that is linked to already popular armies, but can be played on their own. There isn't a mountain of previous made models for this faction (like Space Marines... tactical marines are everywhere) that someone can dust off and use, or if there is some models they are extremely old. So many players will build armies for these supplement faction, while others will supplement their current armies with them. With limited model choices people buying full armies will buy lots of repeats. Throw in the fact there is no cheap alternative used models so retail is the only way to go to build this army (IE $40 is too much for this... going to ebay and getting the same number of troops for $20... ya they are used but half price or less!) Also its not one of those buy 2 for your already massive X or Y army then use what you already have.... No its buy a whole new army for some and ally core for others.

Also veterans see these revised forces from their past and start drooling and buy them for memories' sake. Win - Win for GW... compared to releasing a new Space Marine/Eldar/CSM/Etc Codex where most of the units in it have lots of older copies floating around to allow people to just add one or 2 new units, or build complete armies off second hand auctions/sites without having to touch a new sprue of repackaged what evers.

Good point about the oldNEW thing.

Units used to be in the game (in one form or another) but were dropped during the Great Purge (2nd to 3rd).

Many continued on without them, building up their core army.

Fast Forward 17 years (yes folks, 17 years since 3rd Ed!), and they're bringing them back. Those with the old versions of the models find temptation to dust them off - this at least sells a Codex, maybe a couple of boxes (Harlequins need those Starweavers. Genuinely cannot think why you wouldn't take one per Troupe!). This is existing gamers spending a bit more money time, as they probably would have spent a proportion of it on something else anyway.

Those who slowly disengaged from the game start to see spanglies, and might just visit their local Hobby Store. And with a bit of sales skill, leave with at least a box of the new troops (happened to my mate Paul, who was always primarily a painter, rather than a gamer). He's now been back for a Death Jester and a Starweaver. All of that? That's new money being spent. And that's the Golden Goose at this point.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Welcome to the salt mines of Games Workshop rumors.

Still, aside from Ad Mech, Kroot Mercs and Genestealer Cults are probably the most popular requested sub army now that Harlequins have a proper release.
    Squats...
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast