BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Excellent read. I enjoy how you manage to bring psychology and cultural bias into perspective as regards how we the viewer view these things. From a literary standpoint, those things are often forgotten or overlooked in the creative process and can mean the difference between a believable character and a not so believable one.

For myself, I dislike the helmet-less little guys because I despise painting faces. I'm decent enough at it, but would rather see the faceless death machine instead. Also, I (like the outside viewer that I am) wonder why one wouldn't wear a perfectly good helmet if it's available. I used to just assume that the Sergeant/Officer, being a higher priority target, might already have taken a round or two to the face/head and ditched the now useless chunk of metal in favor of actually being able to see. From practical experience, a helmet (non-far future powered one of course) can restrict vision and hearing. On a busy battlefield that can spell disaster. a Sergeant needs to be able to direct his soldiers with as much info as possible.
    However, having said that, I agree completely about the psychology behind your rationale. It makes absolute sense to the point of "duh, why didn't I think of that?" I suppose its because I am not an Astartes.
    na na na na na... wut?

Veteran-Sergeant

Exceptional read. May be, in fact, one of my favorite articles ever posted here.

Having served in the USMC, I always assumed that the leader types did not wear helmets because they would cover up the constant scowl necessary to intimidate subordinates.

Orks clap their hands and the drainpipe the Mek superglued a trigger onto suddenly fires bullets?
    Okay, I just have to add my personal thoughts on this point.

It's possible that Orks are the most powerful psykers in the galaxy and stuff works just because they believe it. Sure. I mean, they have the two most powerful gods in the 40K universe (evidenced by a story in which they brushed aside the Chaos gods in a bored manner, and the Chaos gods just said, "You know, I think instead of trying to manipulate these guys, we'll just follow behind them and enjoy the emotions they leave in their wake").

But I think it's really just that the Imperium has no idea how Ork technology works, and rather than admit they can't figure something out, they come up with some theoretical explanation of it. It's only really mentioned once, by an Imperial Genetor who couldn't make sense of why Ork technology "shouldn't work" but does for Orks (meaning he just can't figure out the designs). The idea behind them believing red ones go faster and it makes red vehicles actually go faster does have potential for being accurate, and there's already some thought that such things are possible with the human brain (though it's not often seen because people might not know what to look for or just don't believe it's possible). But with shootas and stuff like that, it's much more likely that the Orks just build weapons the Imperium can't figure out, and they explain it away as "Ork magical thoughts." For all we know, there could actually be some built-in part of the technology that assures it doesn't work for other races, much like how at one point (not sure if this is still part of the fluff) a lot of Eldar Aspect Warriors had weapons designed to work only for them, so if it fell into the hands of the enemy, it wouldn't work. The Imperium could accept that Eldar would be so smart, but they still won't even accept that Orks could be smart enough to use strategy and tactics, so naturally they won't believe that Orks could concoct a way that their technology doesn't work for anyone else.

This is such a good post. A+, would recommend.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Battle-Brother

This may be one of my favorite posts on any forum ever, beautifully displayed information and thoughts! This really answered a lot of the problems biting at the back of my mind about 40k, and re-ignited some of my lore-lust!

Librarian

Re: Orks, Meks, drainpipes and psykers, I think anyone who's interested in the subject needs to take a look at Dim_Reapa's [URL="http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50468&p=669469"]excellent post on Orkoid Resonance[/URL] over at The WAAAGH! In fact, just go read that whole thread. It's bonkers how good it is.

Librarian

I've always thought is was not very smart to take your helmet off. So all of my Marines have helmets on!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    I've always thought is was not very smart to take your helmet off. So all of my Marines have helmets on!
    Mine have it in their culture to never show the enemy face to to the enemy, as they do not deserve the honor. Yes, it is an excuse never to paint flesh, but it's a handy one.

My Blood Angels all keep their lids on. I've Just finished fitting a helmet to Astorth and he looks loads better to me. I dont have any random marines with their heads poked out of the top of tanks either.

An intertesting noton, but unfortunately, one that is partially contradicted by the fiction surrounding 40K.

Space Marines (and their Chaos Worshipping betters) take off their helmets for any number of reasons. For some it's to breathe the atmosphere so that they can use their heightened sense of smell (something a respirator would prevent) sometimes it's due to the helmet being damaged or suffering from a malfunction. Sometimes it's just so that the person they're talking to can see their face. The list goes one, but there are multiple reasons why astartes remove their helmets, and if it's in the heat of battle, would you want to have to carry it around? Or would you leave it behind and go back for it after the battle?

The fiction is full of these reasons and more, so if you model your Champion/Lord/Sorcerer (or their corpse-worshipping kin) without a helmet you should feel free to make up any excuse you want.

Yes, you can give ther reason stated in the openning post, as it does make sense.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast