BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Grotfather View Post
    During the Battle Of Hastings, Duke William (the Conqueror) removed his helmet while in battle to rally his forces after word began to spread he had been killed. This show of bravery and fearlessness emboldened his men exhorting them on to victory. Don't forget that creators and most of the current writers and sculptors are English and this is part of the history of their country they grow up idolizing.

While some would say that this is not applicable to a 40K style shooting war, remember that in that very battle King Harold was fatally wounded by an arrow to the eye basically sealing Norman victory and changing the history and character of England irrevocably.
    In William's case it might have been less a matter of brevery and more of his armor being rather generic - he needed to uncover his face to be more recognizable.

Librarian

I dont think its weird that they sometimes dont wear them as much as the fact that they dont still have them witht them most of the time, I have an RT era Captain that has his helmet off but still clipped to his belt. this seemed kind of like the more realistic approach.

Quote Originally Posted by artemi View Post
    B) because it's easier to paint.
    This is my secret reason. I probably wouldn't have converted my Scouts with Cadian rebreather helms if I were any good at painting eyes. >.>

First-Captain

It all boils down to personal taste from a modelling perspective.

from an in-universe approach, different schools of thought allow for such things, for example Commisser's always wear caps rather then helmets because they need the troops under them to see their faces for when inspiring them, Space marine scouts are depicted as never wearing helmets because they need unimpeded views of the battlefield and a helmet restricts that view.

it depends all on the needs at the time or of the job.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    It all boils down to personal taste from a modelling perspective.

from an in-universe approach, different schools of thought allow for such things, for example Commisser's always wear caps rather then helmets because they need the troops under them to see their faces for when inspiring them, Space marine scouts are depicted as never wearing helmets because they need unimpeded views of the battlefield and a helmet restricts that view.

it depends all on the needs at the time or of the job.
    Also, Commissars may know the standard issue Guard brain bucket is about useless and refuses to wear the thing. Back in my Army days we would never wear our old M1 steel pots if we could possibly avoid it.

That said, all my Grey Knights wear helmets. A) because GKs have the coolest looking helmets in the game
    Absolutely, yes.

I probably wouldn't have converted my Scouts with Cadian rebreather helms if I were any good at painting eyes. >.>
    For Caucasian skin - Rakarth flesh, flesh wash, then Agrax Earthshade carefully applied to the eyesocket. Alternatively, you can use a purple or red wash to suggest sickness.
    For African skin - your brown of choice (I like Doombull Brown), followed by Agreax Earthshade/Nuln Oil 50:50 wash, then pure Nuln Oil around the eyes.
    For Chaos eyes - As above, but two layers of Nuln Oil followed by a single white dot.
    For Psyker Eyes - As Caucasian skin, only with a purple wash, a thin (1mm long) line of black, then a dot of Teclis Blue.

At least that's how I do 'em. Washes and dots, it's the only way.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

I haven't read a tremendous amount of the 40k era novels, mostly HH, but it seems to me that most of the time they do enter battle with helmets on. From the lowest initiate to the Chapter Master, they're all wearing helmets. They end up taking them off because they get damaged or otherwise become more of a hindrance than a help. I specifically recall in the War for Rynn's World stories, which I read recently, Pedro Kantor and the other Crimson Fists captains and sergeants wearing helmets. To me, it stands to reason that with the officers leading from the front and not prone to taking cover (they are astartes after all), they would be more likely to end up with damaged helmets. Combine that with the fact that the miniatures are generally all dynamically posed, as if already in combat, and it stands to reason that a few of them would be helmet-less.

Furthermore, it seems reasonable to me that in the propaganda artwork of the Imperium, it would be normal for the heroic officers to be depicted without helmets, the better to make them seem heroic. The Black Library has often stated that just because something is 'canon' doesn't mean it's true. It could be said that we are reading an 'in universe' version of the story, where the Captains and Sergeants are described as bare headed to make them seem more legendary, not because they are actually going into combat without them. After all, it is highly unlikely that George Washington actually stood in the prow of his boat when crossing the Delaware river. He was probably huddled up in the stern, under a blanket, shivering like everyone else.

This was a great post - very enjoyable. I'd read many more like it. (also an excellent understanding of what makes Watchmen Watchmen).

Veteran-Sergeant

Every time I here someone complain about Space Marines not wearing helmets I remember the scene in 'Black Hawk Down' where Col. Struker is standing next to his Humvee and gunfire all around him, and he's just casually giving orders. It's almost like he couldn't fathom the idea of being killed in combat. I would imagine a Space Marine, who has been fighting for decades would kinda have that same mentality of invulenerability.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234