BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are the odds (with Orks attacking a Landraider)!

Today, i had one of the worst dice mishaps in all of my games...i played Orks against my friends Blood Angels and charged a 5 x Nobs + a Warboss, all with Powerklaws on to his Landraider. 20 attacks with S8 and 5 with S10 (with two re-rolls from the Lucky Stick) hitting with a 3+...two clansing hits...

Let´s just say, that the match was over in the next turn...

- Lost Vyper
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Chapter-Master

The 20 attacks should have got 3 hits - if you round up to 4 that still is only 0.66 of a glance.

The 5 x S10 with re-rolls should have been 4 mebbe 5. Even if all 5 hit you would only have done 2.5 Hull points - 1.7 and a bit penetrating and the chances of that being an 'explodes' with an AP2 powerclaw is remote.

I think 2 HP is about reasonable...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

S8 nothing!

Orkses with Powerklaws is S9 on the charge (Sx2 for Klaw, with a base of 4, and Furious Charge for that +1S taking you up to S9 in the first round)......

So, working it out with my brian......

20 S9 attacks, hitting on threes. Let's be generous and round up, giving 14 hits. Of those, 2 should penetrate, and a further two should (statistically speaking!) be glances - that's enough to kill a Landraider right there. And some Nobz if you blow it up proper!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

DAMMIT! Forgot about the S4 on the Nobs! This is what you get, when that´s like your fourth army you play...yep, i think the Denzarks 3 hits is a bit off . Should have wrecked it...well, die (on the table as little plastic xenos) and learn...
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Chapter-Master

Its a dice game. This is why you can't have competitive 40k because despite a players' masterful maneuvering and preparation, the dice can and will always screw you thus the outcome of a 40k game truly proves nothing other than who is luckier overall.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

That and he Noob'd himself out of S9
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

no, the competitive players said that if you roll enough dice then it avergaes out so its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Its a dice game. This is why you can't have competitive 40k because despite a players' masterful maneuvering and preparation, the dice can and will always screw you thus the outcome of a 40k game truly proves nothing other than who is luckier overall.
    So said all people who ever lost games... "it is all about luck", "if I had not slipped, you would not have won you lucker", "I had lag", "well we started with dry tires although the weather reports predicted rain... turned out we were lucky that it did not start to rain"

The words "Orcs" and "Landraider" should have already been a hint that this was not a highly competitive game.
    Funfact: "Luck" turns out to play not a big role in competitive 40k while it is a major part of casual 40k.

Why? Do 'competitive' players use loaded dice? Because if not, luck is everything to do with the game.

As Path Walker put (admitedly a bit snidely) we don't roll anywhere near enough nice in a game to tickle the gods of statistical probability.

You can position yourself as well as you like, but at the end of the day it's all down to how the dice are feeling not that day, but once that roll has been made.

First-Captain

Counterpoint to Charon, you're wrong.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 03-03-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast