BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As for 'highly competitive' 40k. That had better involve decent pyizes like pro-sports.

Because if not,....

This Gif will be used.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

The weird thing about "Competitive 40K" is that its been the same small group for years telling us that 40k is a competitive game that should be played in the way they say it should, surprisingly they keep winning the events that they and their friends host and only use the rules they prefer.

mini-meks get killsaws [killmeks] - st8 armour-bane ! bye bye A14.

Mini-meks ain't getting S8. They're base S3, with x2 from the killsaw and +1 from Furious Charge that's S7.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Its a dice game. This is why you can't have competitive 40k because despite a players' masterful maneuvering and preparation, the dice can and will always screw you thus the outcome of a 40k game truly proves nothing other than who is luckier overall.
    Nope. I've had games with some incredibly poor luck, but I won't take anything away from my opponents. Most of the time a person should have pretty much average luck (and I do), and you should be able to compensate tactically for bad luck if you're a good "general."

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Nope. I've had games with some incredibly poor luck, but I won't take anything away from my opponents. Most of the time a person should have pretty much average luck (and I do), and you should be able to compensate tactically for bad luck if you're a good "general."
    the larger point games you play - the more the 'snowball effect' of bad luck or bad decisions can be overcome. but in 7th where boots on the ground, high toughness, multiple wound options and overwatch are more effective than lets say 5th - smaller armies are 'more' affected by luck than larger ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Mini-meks ain't getting S8. They're base S3, with x2 from the killsaw and +1 from Furious Charge that's S7.
    my bad - thought they were st4 ! ... still think its a useful addition to a large unit that might only have one claw-nob in ...

First-Captain

The point is, in any game of 40k, the dice rolls are as likely to swing wildly one way or the other as be average because you simply don't roll enough dice in any 40K game to tend toward average in any relevant statistical way.

That means that playing the game as competitive players like to, minimum terrain, predictable win conditions, are ignoring the possibility of luck to add interesting decisions to the game and instead requiring the use of boring spam lists and redundancy to try and mitigate it by rolling more dice.

Competitive poker is a real thing, competitive baseball and football and basketball is a real thing, and all of those use statistical probabilities in achieving victory. They line up batters vs certain pitchers based on probabilities, same thing in the other sports. We get to choose our armies and load-outs to maximize probability of success vs certain other opponents. So yes, 40k is in fact competitive, some people just choose to compete in a way to look good on the table and/or in regards to storyline rather than statistical probabilities....then they will more often lose vs those who compete for higher chance of winning. Both players can have fun doing what they do; and if the Orks woulda smashed apart that Land Raider both players would remember it for a long time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12