BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Amazing job. You should apply for a position in the Administratum.
    PS. In the extinct section, you should add the Lions Sable (Dark Angels), who got Cypher'd

Brother-Sergeant

The Sons of Orar are listed somewhere as a second founding Ultramarine successor, named after their first chapter master who was a famous praetorian of the legion. I'll try and source that for you.

As far as the size of the Wolves and the Templars go, the Rout is between 2-3k Wolves at any given time. There are 12 Great Companies, each acting as independently as a chapter, but lacking the size, the smallest of which is still 100 marines. The average size is around 150 with Ragnar Blackmane having the largest standard company of 200 and Logan Grimnar's Company is a match for his plus all the Wolf and Rune Priests as well as the Dreadnoughts.

Great Companies are listed in the first Betrayal as being roughly chapter size at the time of the Heresy, which would have made the Wolves roughly 10-12k at the time of Succession and having been whittled down to the size they are today. Being staunchly as anti-authoritarian as they are, they only split their legion once, giving the Wolf Brothers half of the legion's assets. Assuming then that there weren't originally 25 Great Companies and they just took half of the legion during the split, that puts the Wolves and Brothers between 4-6k marines each, allowing for casualties, at the time of the second founding.

Not even High Marshall Helsbrecht knows how many Black Templar there are. The third edition codex or some later source estimated that the various crusades had a strength of 5-6k marines.

Souldrinkers
    *spoiler*

They are not an Imperial Fist successor chapter. Origins unknown. Source: Hellforged

While I'm honored that my Sons of Dorn are listed as an official descendant of the Imperial Fists they are actually my own Chapter and not a creation of GW. They were in a White Dwarf once because they won the Create a Chapter contest that GW ran about a decade ago. They had a pic of one of my minis and my fluff I had written for them printed in the magazine, don't know if that makes them official though.

Again, thanks for including them though
    Be sure to Like me on the Mengel Miniatures Facebook Page and follow me on Twitter @mengelminis

Just to confirm Space wolves for everyone.

Rather than being made up of 10 companies of 100 Astartes each, the Space Wolves consist of 12 Great Companies which contain Astartes of varying and often irregular strengths. They are anywhere between 100 and 200 SW each. Unlike other Adeptus Astartes orders of battle, exact numbers cannot be given, due to the constantly shifting and irregular numbers that are a result of the Space Wolves' unique traditions and way of war.

However Rangers current full company is given so we can see that his company has Ragnar and 6 Wolf Guard, 50 Blood Claws, 35 Swift Claws, 56 Grey Hunters, 20 Wolf Scouts, 17 Long Fangs, 3 Lone Wolfs = 158 Take this as the average your looking at around an average of 1872 for the chapter not including tanks, transports or Priests, dreadnoughts etc who reside with the Great Wolf.

Chaplain

That... is just spectacular mate! You can thank Leixcanum for the inclusion of Sons of Dorn in 'official' lists of chapters. Given that GW was happy enough to award you the showcase, I am inclined to leave them in the list. =)

That said, I will probably come up with some graphic marker denoting chapters of disputed heritage.

Disputed
    Star Phantoms (DA)
    Exorcists (GK)
    Carcharodons (RG)
    Hospitallers (IF)
    Minotaurs (Traitorous)
    Black Dragons (Sal)
    Storm Giants (Sal)

Any others to add, or challenge?

Is there any actual EVIDANCE the Exocists are sucessors to the Grey Knights? because right now the FACTs don't seem to particularly add up. Grey Knights are, by virtue of their gene seed, immune to geneseed, highly resistant to the corruption of Chaos. I've always surmised the Exortionists where an attempt by the Inqusition to create a chapter just as effective as the Grey Knights, but less reliant on special geneseed.

Angels Penatent are a Dark Angels successor chapter. I created them and they were a bone thrown to me by GW for the number of battle reports I posted in the 13th Black Crusade campaign.

FYI, Angels Porphyr are descendants of the Blood Angels. Great to see someone doing a list though. Nice job.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Quote Originally Posted by Dlatrex View Post
    Am…am I The Maker? Lol. A fun title, but just Dlatrex if you please. =)
    Sounds like you just got a promotion

I will have to defer to my scruffier Fenris-centric brothers as to the size of the Space Wolves.
    I recall reading in WD (when the previous Codex came out) that whatsisname -- the main SW special character -- commanded the largest company at around 200 men. I have a pretty clear recollection of that number, even if other details escape me

As illustrated on the chart, I estimated each great company to be approximately chapter sized (i.e. 1000 marines) which may unsubstantiated. Lexicannum merely says that each great company is a functional independent army. Would 200 astartes prove sufficient?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogal Dorn
    Give me a hundred Space Marines. Or failing that give me a thousand other troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrsday View Post
    The Sons of Orar are listed somewhere as a second founding Ultramarine successor, named after their first chapter master who was a famous praetorian of the legion. I'll try and source that for you.
    I'd be interested in that source. The previous Codex said that although they revere Orar, the details of their founding were lost to them.
    Last edited by Chris*ta; 03-11-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast