BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm mostly disappointed about the customizability of the formations. It would've been nice if GW gave us a range for what/how many of each unit we can take; for example:

1-3 Troupes
    0-1 Shadowseers
    0-1 Death Jesters
    0-1 Solitaires
    0-2 Bikes
    0-1 Weavers

Something like that, so we're not locked into taking too many or too few of what we want, and we could still play Battle Forged. Of course I realize they didn't give us more options because this way they can corner us into buying more models we didn't necessarily want to use, but there you go. In my case the lack of customizability actually lost a sale, because I was considering starting Eldar and Harlequin armies to ally with my Dark Eldar, but the Harlie formations just made it a bit of a hassle to make it work narratively how I wanted it to in my force.
    Last edited by The Sovereign; 03-06-2015 at 10:29 PM.

My review of the codex here:
    [url]http://lkhero.blogspot.com/2015/03/codex-review-harlequins.html[/url]
    HERO's Gaming Blog

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    I wish "the internet" would quit ranting about completely unimportant matters, don't like how Harlequins run? Don't play them then. I'll enjoy them more knowing that they're all mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Since they jumped aboard the 'unbound' train I expect they'll keep that option going forward as their get out of jail free card.
    maybe, but thats still not really good game design, its the rulebook manifestation of GWs "the rules are a guideline" stupidity really
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Holy cow, the misinformation in this thread is astounding.

"I can't ally them into my army unless it's unbound."

Uh wrong, they are their own detachment, the only thing you cannot do is use the Allies CAD detachment.

"NO objective secured"

It's a book of almost all elites, how strong would this be anyway?

"Unbound, unbound unbound."

Unbound is an army that consists of any model not contained in a detachment. A detachment can be a CAD, Ally CAD, formation, dataslate, or unique army detachment.

The way the book is meant to work is with the harly formations and detachment. If you want a stand alone harly army there are PLENTY of slots in the harly detachment!

"Since they jumped aboard the 'unbound' train I expect they'll keep that option going forward as their get out of jail free card."
    None of the books so far are unbound books, they all contain formations, dataslates, or detachments.

Get off your 5th edition FOC crap, it's dead, it ain't coming back.

EDIT: Have any of you actually read the detachment rules? Move, run, then assault with Fleet on turn 2 on? Yeesh, power hungry much?
    Last edited by sfshilo; 03-09-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Just to chip in with my 2 pence worth....

I was a little disappointed by the formations allowed, but mostly just for one reason. I really really really hate that Voidweaver model, and it's my ONLY heavy support choice, that I HAVE to take for the main detachment listing, and it's included in many of the other formations too.

Although I can use other formations to get some Harlequins out, either the one with the troupe, Shadowseer and Death Jester, or the one with the Death Jester, Shadowseer and Solitaire. I don't have an option to use the nice Skyweaver models without having to also field that hideous Voidweaver.

In fact, the problem is that for your Heavy Support "choice", you don't have a choice at all. It's just that horrible Voidweaver.

Yeah, I can go unbound so it's not the end of the world. I expect that is probably just what I'd do.

It just saddens me that there are so many possible options that would have meant it didn't HAVE to be included - the Death Jester could have been a Heavy Support choice instead, or if there had been a HQ choice then it would have been possible to treat them as allies, or there could have been more formations that just didn't include the Voidweaver monstrosity... any of those would have done.

Did I mention that I'm not a massive fan of the Voidweaver?

Initiate

Yeah the mandatory Voidweaver is a downer, I wish the formations had a little more variety allowed, but UNBOUND UNBOUND UNBOUND isn't the answer. I mean, Unbound is cool, but I will be running formations most of the time with my Harlies.

Banned

So use a different model and equip it so it would operate like the Voidweaver.

Open-topped Falcon anyone?

I have a quick question. Since they don't have an HQ and I have not seen the 'dex, does your opponent lose a victory point for kill the Warlord?

This happened far long ago with Legion of the Damned. We make a single sergeant our warlord if we run them as primary detachment and they are all Elites. So no objective secured or anything.

Brother-Captain

Not having HQ means nothing, there are plenty of formations to choose from.

As said above, the only real problem is their big detachment requiring at least one Voidweaver. With Necrons the massed minimum requirements worked because you have a lot to work with and it's quite fluffy for them. Harlequins only have a fraction of the usual unit choice. That's fine and makes sense, but they shouldn't have so many mandatory things in that case.

Mostly though, my only issues with the book are pathetic 5+ saves which are kind of crippling and Solitaires for some reason not understanding how to pick up a power weapon. Lack of HQ is a daft thing to complain about.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast