BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The New Nids: Parasite of Mortrex

Here's a quick job on everyone's favorite ripper-spawning special character. the centerpiece of a Winged Death nid army in the works.

Made using Genestealer, Metal Gargoyle, and Biomorph Sprue bits, plus an extra Warrior head.

comments welcome, as are other renditions of the Parasite.
    Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 02-21-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: images

Oh, and those are Ymgarl genestealers next to him, too. bit of a rush job on those, and my graveyard earth is near-death.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quite nice work, Love the paint scheme and the themed bases. Like it a lot.
    But I always imagned the Parisite much, much bigger, more harpy size. For my own I was going to use a Trygon/Carnifex and Balrog wings.
    Souls. Yum.

ehm, idk i think it just sorta looks like a winged warrior to me. I lik e the ymagrl with tentacle fingers tho

Veteran-Sergeant

I agree with Missrym-it does look like a winged warrior but the Ymgarls are nice.

Well, the parasite, stat-wise, is pretty much just a flying Alpha Warrior with Rending Claws and a nifty swarm-spawning power. The Picture looks more like a larger gargoyle, admittedly, but this model is way slimmer, with long taloned legs and a less bulky torso. the Parasite certainly isnt harpy-sized; he belongs on a warrior base; he has 3 wounds.

Anyone else have any other ideas on making a better Parasite?

I guess the same system could be used to make flying warriors cheaply, though. Just replace the lower arms on this model with a Devourer or Spinefists, and it's a Rending Claw Shrike. throw on Adrenal GLands, and it's a kick'n melee unit.

One point was that this guy was made using essentially cast-off bits, plus a metal gargoyle. Any nid player could make one with the bits they have around, plus a ~12 dollar blister that comes with two gargs (if I remember right). Everyone has an extra genestealer and warrior head. Everyone has a few extra feeder tendrils and talons.

I'm a real sucker for cheap-*** conversions. For example, here's an all-plastic broodlord:

Come to think of it, that would be a really cheap way to make winged warriors. Buy a Gargoyle box, use a few extra genestealers.

Gargoyle wings and heads (or warrior heads) on an extended genestealer body, gargoyle tails, and Spinefists or Devourers. Rending claw feet. Make the rest of the gargoyle bits into actual gargoyle to plump out a big squad.

Ta-Da! You have now made a normally 14-dollar model for ~6. Only problem is it's harder to model boneswords, but still doable.

For that matter: question; are shrikes better with Devourers or Spinefists? that '12 range hurts a lot less on a winged model, and 3 twin-linked S3 AP5 shots seem better than 3 S4 AP- ones when range isnt a factor, especially when going up against, say, guard

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
    Anyone else have any other ideas on making a better Parasite?
    i'm currently converting one out of bits i have gathered over the years, mines made of the following.
    3rd edition gargoyle head
    plastic warrior torso
    3rd edition gargoyle lower limbs and tail
    a CSM possessed winged backpack (the wings tuck nicely below the warrior carapace)
    genestealer scything talons
    chaos spawn tentacle talon
    and green stuff.

for the base i have a pile of rubble with a girder sticking out to help pin the Parasite in mid-flight with a trio of rippers slithering over the rocks.

i'll post pictures of it along with the Doom of Malan'tai (out of a 3rd edition Zoanthrope) and a tervigon (out of a Trygon kit).

Chaplain

I've posted pictures in my Ablum, its in the sub cat for the Nids. follow the link below.

[url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=608[/url]

Absolutely loving this thread. I've got a shedload of old 'nids, and no money!

Anyone got any good uses for the proper-old 2E Tyranid Warriors? Got plenty of boneswords which'd be handy now, but they all seem rather small. I also have no creative streak and no experience with green stuff, so the simpler the better.

Edit - sheesh the 3E 'nids were fecking awful. The Tyrant Guard and Hive Tyrant make me want to stab screwdrivers in my eyes. The only thing that was better than 2E was the Zoanthrope.
    Last edited by Deej; 02-25-2010 at 07:35 AM.
    BinaryTweed.com - New games that are a bit like old games, but better
    Clover - A Curious Tale - CloverACT.com - Available on PC 3rd March

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast