BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Space Marine Battle Company @ 1850

I want to play a complete battle company...get close at 1850...

Ultramarines Chapter Tactics

HQ: Captain w/Artificer armor, power weapon...125

Librarian...65

Troops:

6 X 10 Marines w/plasma gun
    -Sgt w/meltabomb, plasma pistol...1050

Fast Attack: 2 X 5 Jump marines...170

Heavy: 2 X 10 Devastators w/4 Plasma Cannons
    -Sgt w/meltabomb, plasma pistol...440

Total 1850

Considering exchanging the 5 man assault squads with bike squads.

Brother-Sergeant

The biggeest problem with your troops is going to be not having a way to get to objectives quickly and safely.. dedicated transports are very much worth taking in 7th edition since they are can only become objective secured, but they provide much needed defense against all the devastating weapons out there that can one-shot the entire squad (if they're in a Rhino, they have to waste an entire round of shooting from that unit to break them out... so a 35 point distraction for a D weapon is pretty nice and often one of your best defenses!)

I'd also ditch the gear on the Dev squad sgts. If you are oging to take the Assault Marines, I'd drop the jump packs for free drop pods and take some gear for them.

Veteran-Sergeant

Thank you. I agree, and will make the following changes...

Ultramarines Chapter Tactics

HQ: Captain w/power weapon...105

Troops:

10 Marines w/plasma gun, drop pod
    -Sgt w/meltabomb, plasma pistol...210
    10 Marines w/plasma gun, rhino
    -Sgt w/meltabomb, stormbolter...200
    10 Marines w/plasma gun, rhino
    -Sgt w/meltabomb, stormbolter..200.
    10 Marines w/plasma gun
    -Sgt w/plasma pistol...170
    10 Marines w/plasma gun
    -Sgt w/plasma pistol...170
    10 Marines w/meltagun
    -Sgt w/plasma pistol...165

Fast Attack: 2 X 5 Jump marines w/plasma pistol
    -sgt w/power weapon...230

Heavy: 2 X 10 Devastators w/4 Plasma Cannons...400

Total 1850

Any additional advice.

Veteran-Sergeant

I would split your tacticals, put 3 tacticals in drop pods with meltagun/combi-melta. 3 tacs with plasmaguns and/or heavy weapon for support, you can always save some points on the heavies and let them run or put them in a rhino. dump the plasma pistols on your seargents, if they use the drop pod you mostly only have 1 shot and get assaulted. 1 devestator sq with 4x plasma and 1 sq with 4x missile launchers gives some more punch on anti vehicle. Put the assault marines in drop pods, so you have 5 pods and 3 will land in the first turn, nobody likes having 30 marines in their lines, and popping vehicles . try and squize in som anti-air, a flying hive tyrant is gonna ruin your day...

I run 3 tactical squads in my list and they're all 10 strong combi flamer and a plasma gun. The combi flamer has made back its points several times over in almost every game. Putting down screamers, raising walls of fire, torching orks and zombies. Plasma gun has only killed one Marine in the last two games, but honestly hasn't done much. With close range bolter drill most die before the plasma gun fires, and those that don't generally have a decent cover or invul save and just save the plasma wounds. That said I still like them because they have the same range profile as the bolters.

I'd dump the plasma pistols and storm bolters for combi flamers. Half melta, half plasma is a good idea as it gives you a mix of squads that can support each other and respond to various threats.

Where does the captain go? He can't fit in the rhinos and he doesn't have a jump pack. I think the easiest option is merge the assault marines into 1 10 marine squad use the extra points to give the captain a jump pack. With his power weapon, higher attacks, higher ws and extra wound he's a natural fit.

Drop Pods can be useful, but they don't protect your Marines, they can't move, and they force you to bring in your army piecemeal and unsupported. I vastly prefer Rhinos unless I'm doing a suicide command squad with melta and storm shields.

Flakk missiles aren't great anti air but they would be better than nothing, especially with two sets of 4 launchers.

That said I think this list looks very fun and would be decent in any type of maelstrom game. You have plenty of mobile bodies and ObSec units to take and hold objectives. Play to that strength and you should be able to do well, just remember you lack the heavy firepower to knock out a lot of tougher enemies so you'll have to tie them up and score objective markers.

Oh another advantage of missiles is you'd get S8 shooting which would glance AV14, which the plasma cannons can't hurt.

Edit: melta bombs on your assault marines (and captain of he joins them) are probably going to be more useful than on the tactical squads. The assault marines are going to want to be in close combat more than the tacticals.
    Last edited by Kartr_Kana; 04-08-2015 at 11:34 AM.