BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A new army for Goatboy

Goatboy is looking to start a new army and I thought we should provide assistance.

[URL="http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/03/goatboys-40k-thoughts-army-next.html"]Quote from the front page

"I think I am tired of playing Daemons/Chaos and need to try something different. I think I have been burnt to many times with bad Psychic rolls, unforgiving random tables, and the overall feeling that maybe I just need to try something different to get better. I think that is the crux of this “army crisis”."[/URL]

I think that a break from 40K into 30K may be good for Goatboy if there are rules for Orks in the GW 30K set. It is played are far higher point values than 40K and may allow Goatboy to do the army that he wanted.

Otherwise I think that Harlequins or Dark Eldar would be a great fix for the sought for experience.

Thoughts?

Librarian

Maybe all he needs to do with his army is try something new with what he has. If I'm correct, isn't he the one with spammy lists of whatever army he's got lists for. Try to make less than hard as nails units work and maybe he'll have a new experience.

Trying another comp does nothing with

I think I have been burnt to many times with bad Psychic rolls, unforgiving random tables
    No matter how you build them, Chaos has game deciding stupid random tables.
    From
    "Oh! My Bloodthirster got killed by an random event in turn 1... how much fun is that?"
    over
    "Yes sir! I gladly challenge your Wraithlord with my S4 champion!"
    to
    "Great! After I had to challenge this imperial Sergeant with my Tzzentch Sorc Lord he now turns into a spawn as reward! So much fun!"

While random is not bad at all times, results you can not mitigate and have a huge impact are just stupid.

Haven't played Chaos for months now. I just treat them as Space Marines with allied imperial guard or Daemons (this way you get rid of the Warpstorm table)... overall this is also a better representation of the Legions than everything the Choas codex has to offer.

How about Guard? He can always make Renegades or Cultists out of them later if he doesn't like them.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    How about Guard? He can always make Renegades or Cultists out of them later if he doesn't like them.
    He seems to have issues enough with psychic tests, rolling for orders may cause similar distress to him.

Orders are on Leadership. Far more reliable than "roll 4+ to succeed".

Banned

Go Black Templars. No Psykers involved.

Even in 30K, just go Imperial Fists Legion and no Librarians.

But no Psykers means for army options of: Khorne, Necrons, Black Templars, Dark Eldar, and Tau. All other armies CAN do it, but some seriously lose out on options when they do.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Trying another comp does nothing with

No matter how you build them, Chaos has game deciding stupid random tables.
    From
    "Oh! My Bloodthirster got killed by an random event in turn 1... how much fun is that?"
    over
    "Yes sir! I gladly challenge your Wraithlord with my S4 champion!"
    to
    "Great! After I had to challenge this imperial Sergeant with my Tzzentch Sorc Lord he now turns into a spawn as reward! So much fun!"

While random is not bad at all times, results you can not mitigate and have a huge impact are just stupid.

Haven't played Chaos for months now. I just treat them as Space Marines with allied imperial guard or Daemons (this way you get rid of the Warpstorm table)... overall this is also a better representation of the Legions than everything the Choas codex has to offer.
    All of those instances would make me laugh as a player because they're just so cinematically hilarious that only a game like 40k could produce them.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

First-Captain

Well some of us like that our Champion can displease the Gods and be turned into a Spawn.

It builds the story. The next game, I take a Spawn and someone gets promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    All of those instances would make me laugh as a player because they're just so cinematically hilarious that only a game like 40k could produce them.
    Some of us really want to play a game and not watch comedy central with dice.

For only 20 € you can have my homebrew random table to use in your game.

Teaser:

1-3 a giant meteor drops on your side of the battlefield, roll a D6 for each of your units: 1. Lucky! 2-6 unit gets obliterated.

Remember for only 20 € you can have the rest of this "cinematically hilarious" table for added fun in your "games"
    Last edited by Charon; 03-11-2015 at 12:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast