BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Necrons 2k...

Default Necrons 2k...

Greetings folks,

Wanting to get back into both WH40k and WHFB after being away for a very long time. trying to break from the old armies i played way back (Imperial Fists, 'Nids for 40k) and try something new. Contemplating Tau or Necrons or Imperial Guard (astra whatever...) and maximizing purchases thru battle force boxes and/or bundles i see on GW site.

I do not have the BRB or any of the newer codexes just yet so please bare with me on missing some of the newer fundamentals in game mechanics or army special rules that may be glaring hehe

Tinkering with Battlescribe btw to generate lists...

So for Necrons 2000 points, i'm leaning towards a build like this:

HQ
    65 - Cryptek w/ staff of light
    125 - Overlord w/ war scythe, resurrection orb

Elites
    250 - Lychguard - 12x lychguards w/ war scythes
    135 - Triarch Stalker w/ TL heavy gauss cannon
    135 - Triarch Stalker w/ TL heavy gauss cannon

Troops
    170 - Immortals - 10x immortals w/ tesla carbines
    170 - Immortals - 10x immortals w/ gauss blasters
    235 - Necron Warriors - 10x warriors w/ ghost ark
    235 - Necron Warriors - 10x warriors w/ ghost ark

Fast Attack
    120 - Canoptek Wraiths - 3x wraiths
    120 - Canoptek Wraiths - 3x wraiths
    60 - Tomb Blade Squad - 3x tomb blades w/ shield vanes

Heavy Support
    60 - Canoptek Spider w/ TL particle beamer

Tallies up to 2000 even.

Since destroyers and heavy destroyer upgrade kits are so pricey and rare to acquire at the moment, have to pick something else in fast attack and heavy support slots. Not really sure about spiders. gauss blaster vs tesla carbines on immortals? resurrection orb on overlord work well (or pointless) with a cryptek and ghost ark ability? I do like the lychguard and stalker models. shame i cant fit deathmarks in there but no slots left.

Any suggestions, tips, advice, constructive critiques, etc are always very appreciated.

Thanks,

Tak

run wraiths at max size squads - they are easier to kitbash than some

not a fan of stalkers - but some ppl like them - not got new codex yet so they might be an improvement

my oppo runs spiders as one unit of three for real pressure - again not got new codex so might not be possible any more

If you have a max unit of scarabs in front of them running the spiders as separate ones rather than the unit of 3 is a good idea. They'd can all poop out a scarab to add to the swarm but are separate targets for your opponent to shoot. Of course that's not great for kill point games I guess.

I kinda like the stalkers for making the other shorty stuff get a higher BS. Not bad at all. Ghost arks are prettye solid now. That's a crapload of Gauss marching down the field.

Since you have tomb blades you can probably run a Decurion detachment. All models with Reanimation Protocols will get +1 to it for a 4+ RP roll in that detachment. But the new codex also has some awesome formations besides the multi-formation detachment that is the Decurion. With a spider, unit of wraiths, and unit of scarabs the Canoptek Harvest lets the spider give the whole formation RP or fleet or something else I forgot, every turn! Super tough to deal with unless the enemy can kill the spider before it gets juiced up.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, also I would stick with gauss blasters on immortals. Gauss hurts everything on 6s including vehicles and high toughness models.

Initiate

HQ - I would run Orikan if you are running Lychguard and I would give them the shields way better that way. For overlord drop the res orb, it's not worth the points now instead give him Phylactery. Also using the Solar Staff on either the OL or the CryTek is a solid choice.

Elites - Stalkers can be run in a squadron now and are better with larger squads of warriors for the BS increase. Flayed Ones are a great choice but require support and significant planning to get them in.

Fast - Fast is more or less the same Wraiths are solid and Scarabs can be great if used with Spiders to make them last. Personally I like Tomb Blades with the particle beamer, Str 6 AP 5 24in on a bike gives them a big threat range and they are fast to objective grabbing.

Heavy - To me Heavy is bland, not a lot of things worth the points. Spiders with scarabs are good. Doom Scythe is decent, Monolith is better and with 7th ed vehicle kills needing a 5 or 6 with AP 1 or 2, but to me all your toys are in the Elites and Fast. You could run a Shard if you want something fun and wired.