BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Interested in a Warhammer 20K? and an alternate 40k universe?

I was talking with a hobby buddy about 30K when the idea came about to go even further back, into the dark age of science. Experience the galaxy before the fall of man, the age of strife, declaring science heresy, etc. or would it be too Star Trek meets Starship Troopers, with a little dash of Halo?

And since we're on the subject of 20k, the thought just occurred to me about a re-envisioning of 40k by just changing one variable... what if science was not declared heresy? With the birth of Slaanesh, the awakening of the Necrons and the arrival of the Tyranids, the story could be just as dark, but now a "proper" science fiction and not "Lord of the rings with guns", lol.

Let me know what you think of these questions/Ideas?
    Last edited by Broodingman87; 03-12-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Dark Age of Technology setting yes ? well wouldnt be far off what is now - no space marines though, but power armour existed. much of the rare weapons in 40k were likely more common, AI and robots did alot more of the war fighting than men did. Rhinos and razorbacks were common as muck back then having be developed for that specific time in earths expansion. expect armies of man to have been quite varied and not above allies with xenos and using xenos tech. Many items they used then are lost... so the imagination is the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Badtucker View Post
    Dark Age of Technology setting yes ? well wouldnt be far off what is now - no space marines though, but power armour existed.
    umm yeah, I'm talking about the Dark Age of Technology. Actually no, there wouldn't be any power armor, mk1 was invented in the Age of Strife 5 thousand years after the Dark Age of Technology.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Broodingman87 View Post
    mk1 was invented in the Age of Strife 5 thousand years after the Dark Age of Technology.
    actually, the Crusade forces encountered a "lost colony" of humanity that had what appeared to be the STC for Power Armour iirc - in one of the Horus trilogy books methinks... Technocracy or some such? and anyway, it's not like Power Armour hasn't been "invented" today, so the thought that the Dark Age of Technology shouldn't have thought of powered armour seems quite silly imho...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Brother-Captain

Didn't the STCs for super heavy tanks describe them as medium battle tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrendian View Post
    actually, the Crusade forces encountered a "lost colony" of humanity that had what appeared to be the STC for Power Armour iirc - in one of the Horus trilogy books methinks... Technocracy or some such? and anyway, it's not like Power Armour hasn't been "invented" today, so the thought that the Dark Age of Technology shouldn't have thought of powered armour seems quite silly imho...
    While it is true that mk3 and on where made from STCs found during the great crusade, the mk1 and mk2 were used by the techno barbarians on Terra. The rediscovered knowledge were little things like the design for a smaller servo motor or the material for ceremite, and the Adeptus Mechanicus made those changes to the suits. Finding a whole STC for a full suit of power armor does rewrite a lot of fluff, of course when has GW not made fluff contradictions.

Well it's not that they wouldn't have power armor, just not the big hulking suits that we know of, more along the lines of Halo's Spartan armor. Unless you are fighting thing that can throw you i.e. Carnifex, there really isn't a reason to be wearing all that stuff, it'll just slow you down.

Quote Originally Posted by bfmusashi View Post
    Didn't the STCs for super heavy tanks describe them as medium battle tanks?
    I don't know that for sure but, I do recall during a game of Apoc a buddy pulling out a model he scratch built that was bigger than a Titan along with a dataslate for a Mechaninus Leviathan iirc that was on par with a Reaver Titan. That could lend some credence to what you're saying.

The Leman Russ chassis was a scout tank as well, IIRC.

I've always thought the Tau make a good fit for DAoT humanity. A utopian society of collectivist, technologically advanced humans with an optimist sense of self-destiny born of a naivety and lack of understanding of the horrible, horrible galaxy they live in. (Though does humanity's collective pessimism towards the galaxy in the 41st Millennium manifest as negative emotion, thus becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy?)
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

First-Captain

Leman Russ chassis wasn't even a tank, it was a tractor.

The best setting would be Unification Wars, I'm hoping thats what the 30K GW game is mistaken for, when you look at the reliable rumours, they said it looked to have power armour that Tony Stark would make in the desert. That sounds more MkI/Techno-Barbarian Variant than Mark IV to me!

That'd be the best, skirmish game amongst the ruins of pre unified Terra, Techno Barbarians, Religious Cults, Thunder Warriors. Like Necromunda but MORE

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    I've always thought the Tau make a good fit for DAoT humanity. A utopian society of collectivist, technologically advanced humans with an optimist sense of self-destiny born of a naivety and lack of understanding of the horrible, horrible galaxy they live in.
    Well, the only reason that the Tau are utopian is because of the Ethereals, My local Tau guy says that Farsight broke free of that mind control in the Farsight Enclave codex. Keep in mind that psykers didn't appear until late in the DAoT, Hell the Navigator gene didn't come till real late. And we all know how much humans has a hard time with the idea of collectivism. While the naivety is there, I think that DAoT humans didn't even comprehend the Eldar, I don't think it was that blissful and happy a time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    they said it looked to have power armour that Tony Stark would make in the desert. That sounds more MkI/Techno-Barbarian Variant than Mark IV to me!
    Yeah, the fluff specifically states that the mk1 was incredibly noisy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast