BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Ever Made One of Each?

I'm about to embark on a little project. I'll get one box of Tactical Marines and one box of Chaos Marines and I'll build and paint each one up to a different 'Legion'. I put that in quotes because there will be 20 models, and two of the Legions are unknown, so I'll do Black Templar for the Space Marines and Crimson Slaughter for the Chaos Marines to round it out.

Has anyone ever done this before? It seems like a pretty fun way to practice painting, plus I'm hoping it'll help make a decision on which legion for 30k I'll end up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBored View Post
    Has anyone ever done this before? It seems like a pretty fun way to practice painting, plus I'm hoping it'll help make a decision on which legion for 30k I'll end up doing.
    Yet in truth, they will all be Alpha Legion.

Banned

Cool idea. After you're done, you should get a bunch of Heresy era marines, and paint them in their original Legion colours

Never thought of that. Great idea. Would be nice sitting on a shelf. Maybe if the rumours are true about plastic Horus Heresy minis then that would be a good place to start.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Librarian

I figure if Games Workshop is set on 40k being a collector's game, then this is exactly the thing someone would do: collect a bunch of different legion-painted marines. I'll build them to reflect the nature of their chapter:

Ultramarine: Sergeant with Power Fist, Bolt Pistol, and Banner
    Raven Guard: Corvus armor with scope on bolter
    Imperial Fist: Mk 8 armor with bolter
    Salamander: Flamer
    Dark Angel: Plasma Gun
    Iron Hands: Grav Gun
    Space Wolf: Chainsword and Pistol
    White Scar: Melta Gun
    Black Templar: Power Sword and Pistol
    Blood Angel: ??

Black Legion: Champion with Power Fist and Pistol
    Iron Warriors: Heavy Bolter
    Word Bearers: Chaos Icon and Bolt Pistol
    Night Lords: Bolt Pistol and Knife
    Alpha Legion: Bolter
    Thousand Sons: Bolter
    Death Guard: Melta Gun
    Emperor's Children: Flamer
    World Eater: Chainsword and Pistol
    Crimson Slaughter: Plasma Gun

Though I'm open to opinions on how they should be built and equipped. Please only suggest bits that come in the box.

Banned

Though I'm open to opinions on how they should be built and equipped. Please only suggest bits that come in the box.
    This is the only problem doing this for me. If I did it, I would have to do the Space Wolf with all the wolfy bits, the DA with robes, Emperor's Children with a sonic weapon etc. Although there is that "Traitors of Chaos" set, which has one of each of the cult legions. That might be worth a look.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Manton View Post
    This is the only problem doing this for me. If I did it, I would have to do the Space Wolf with all the wolfy bits, the DA with robes, Emperor's Children with a sonic weapon etc. Although there is that "Traitors of Chaos" set, which has one of each of the cult legions. That might be worth a look.
    I thought about that, but the looks of the models are really far from the looks of the regular Chaos Marines.

And as much as each chapter surely has it's own heraldry, there are always those fresh initiates that just got their Armor that haven't had a chance to deck themselves out...

You mean the armour that they inherited from the previous 50 battle-brothers to have worn it?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    You mean the armour that they inherited from the previous 50 battle-brothers to have worn it?
    Well, every chapter surely has that one guy, Boring Bill.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    yet new suits are made surely, where do sucessor chapters get they're armour from after all?

I imagine that each chapter has large numbers of plain parts sitting in storage for use when and as required, after all sometimes a marine suffers a hell of a lot of damage to those suits, which would render pieces of it unusable.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast