BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Deathwatch army, codex help

Hey everyone, I have a collection of Deathwatch models sitting on my shelf and I wanted to bust them out and play them as an army but I'm having trouble finding a codex that fits their play style.

Here is what I was thinking:

Blood Angels -> Deepstriking and fighting close to the enemy is something they both like to do. Being able to buy an Apothecary and attach it to any squad is nice.

Salamanders -> Making master crafted war gear, falls in line with being Inquisition and getting higher quality gear. The Twin-linked Flamers and Meltas goes well with the holy trinity (Bolter, Flamer, Melta).

Space Wolves -> The similarity of only sending one marine in a squad (Kill Marine = Lone Wolf). Scouts are elites, fits the Deathwatch not having Initiates and these are real marines with sniper rifles.

Which codex would you pick?

Banned

I've been thinking the same thing! Do Sternguard still have the different ammo types? That's another Deathwatch staple, the right to for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Manton View Post
    I've been thinking the same thing! Do Sternguard still have the different ammo types? That's another Deathwatch staple, the right to for the job.
    Well technically every Deathwatch Kill Marine is a Sternguard because they ALL have special ammo.

Veteran-Sergeant

I made a deathwatch army once and had them all be sternguard. Went up against my friends deathwing army with it. So many dead terminators.

Quote Originally Posted by vharing View Post
    I made a deathwatch army once and had them all be sternguard. Went up against my friends deathwing army with it. So many dead terminators.
    Really, didn't think Terminators would care that much for 2+ poison. It's too bad the Crimson Fist don't allow you to take Sternguard as Troops anymore.
    Last edited by Broodingman87; 03-13-2015 at 08:07 AM.

I don't have enough Deathwatch for a whole army but I do have two squads I use as part of an Inquisitorial army. I run them as Blood Angel Sternguard recently because there's an Archangel Strike Force formation that lets me run them both including drop pods and the only "tax" is one HQ, which I don't mind in the least. I run him as a DW Librarian in Termie armor. It's crazy fluffy.

Edit:

The formation allows you to re-roll failed reserve rolls and more precise drops.
    Last edited by Spy_Smasher; 03-13-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Chaplain

I actually have an entire Deathwatch army and have had a lot of fun with them. Last edition I use them as Crimson Fists because I wanted to use Sternguard as Scoring units and My Pedro Cantor equivalent made them truly elite fighters.

I currently have been using them as Ultramarines. Being able to call up to three different tactics depending on the forces I have and the situation at hand plays right into the Deathwatch way of being prepared for any situation.

Veteran-Sergeant

I might be mistaken, but don't Crimson Fist Sternguard count as having the Objective Secured ability, like other troop models?

Quote Originally Posted by ChacoStylez View Post
    I might be mistaken, but don't Crimson Fist Sternguard count as having the Objective Secured ability, like other troop models?
    Yeah it's in the FAQ, the Hold the Line! rule grants Objective Secured.

Brother-Captain

I've made a codex supplement for both Iron Warriors and the Blood Pact....should I make one for Deathwatch for you?
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast