BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Scout

Default How do you beat Tyranids ???

Ive had 5 games against tyranids using my necrons and cant seem to even get close to a tie. Anybody got any ideas?

Brother-Sergeant

Problem with nids is how is your opponent running them? Is he doing hordes of guants? or a nidzilla list? Is he somewhere inbetween? In this new edition your monolith should be all but invulnerable except against a carnifex assault and it has the firepower to deal with mobs but you cant afford to lose it to a MC assault. My suggestion core your army with 2 monoliths and use heavy destroyers to knock out his fexes, assuming he is playing a mixed list. Again without knowing what your facing its hard to determine what to use to counter.

But what the heck do I know anyway...

I'd say use 9 heavy destroyers. not one less!

because any nid palyer that knows his stuff stoves 5 2+ save creatures into your face (because necrons only have 1,5 guns and 1 melee char that can deal with that).

the monolith mgiht be nearly immortal but it does ZERO damage. the ordnance has to hit dead on to get AP1 and the secondary gun only shoots d6 shots per UNIT (which means about 3d6 or less per round!)

infantry shouldnt be your problem since you ahve the rest of your army to deal with it.

Scout

You could get a Sisters of Battle Army. I have a sneaking suspicion they were made specifically to kill Tyranids...

I suppose a Lord with Immortals and a VOD is always pretty handy here, especially to get out of combat and render that which assaulted you high and dry to shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_sketch View Post
    Ive had 5 games against tyranids using my necrons and cant seem to even get close to a tie. Anybody got any ideas?
    Got any armies besides Necrons?

Scout

Default tyranids are frustrating

Ive got a Blood Angels army. Even two monoliths doesnt seem to make a big enough dent. Ive got to deal with a lot of genestealers. Im just at a loss of what to throw at him. maybe i need more destroyers. the phase out rule usually hits me before i know it...

Scout

couldn't hurt to drop a monolith and get more destroyers. That volume of fire is incredible and you'll have more models before you hit your phase out number

Battle-Brother

I might have an idea for ya:
    First: you mistaken yourself to believe you can beat tyranids.
    Second: the best way to kill the bugs is to take their advantages away from them.

With Necrons it a little easier than most armies i believe. You have fast moving heavy weapons and you have a large speed bump aka the Monolith to fight back the horde. The best way to beat the bug is to think like the bug. Deploy at least 25 ins from the bugs and 18 ins away from the short table edges. with this you will not be put into close combat with them until turn 2 at earliest. Another helpful tip is let the bugs go first, have them move closer to your mid and close range fire power. Lastly concentrate fire power! pick something of theirs and destroy it each turn. ( Do not go for the big bugs unless there is nothing else to shoot, i find that people are too worried about the big bugs and totally forget about the small ones)

P.S.
    Regular Destroyers all the way!

Brother-Captain

Drop the Monofails and get more Destroyers. Blow apart his army with all that dakka, and throw tie down units like Scarabs or Spyders if they get too close.

Occuli Imperator

I would completly agree with the whole regular destroyers thing. Also, considering using triple monoliths while keeping the crons as much as possible in reserves. (just a thought)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast