BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't know that your problem is as much Tyranids as it is Necrons. Necrons are in a tough place right now especially against armies with decent assault like nids. Toss in the fact that MCs can drop high strength templates all over and it does not bode well for phase out. The few necron armies I still see seem to be having trouble across the board with all armies.

What size game are we talking?

That is a key factor cause in a low pt game Crons are not that good but as point totals get higher you will be better off.
    Got a question about Tyranids PM me
    I will do what I can to help.

Veteran-Sergeant

The only way anybody ever beats my nids(very very rarely) is when they are smart enough to take down the fast gaunts 1st before firing everything left at my fex's

Battle-Brother

Same here.

personally, its really, about playing smart. you said he has alot of genestealers.. regular destroyers can turn them into pulp very quickly (even when lead by a broodlord). even regular destroyers can tie up regular gaunts for a good while being t5, it would be hard for them to even wound you. on top of that, (i dont know the fex's T off the top of my head) all gauss weaponry causes wounds on a 6, irregardless of strength and toughness values.

from what i gather, your opponent plays heavy genestealers, with atleast two fex's maybe a squad or two of warriors or tyrants, and a brood of gaunts or two..

for me looking at this, i would honestly say you have a few options. two monoliths, bunch of regular destroyers, a lord, and your squads of warriors. keep the monoliths forward as a screen, targeting as much if possible the synapse creatures. keep the portal facing you, and if you have your warriors near it, try to make use of their 24" gauss weaponry (standing still). if you ever have to portal them, do so.

keep the destroyers mobile, targeting again, synapse, or the fex's if you have good shots. little gaunts dont give them a coversave, so use your mobility to your advantage.

the lord if anything, should have a res orb and option of a scyth or staff. up to you really, but you need that orb.

another option, would be to run destroyers, destroyers, destroyers.. with a destroyer lord with lightning field and scyth (and orb too i think can fit), and max scarabs with those gause talon thingies.. and attached to the lord. fill in the rest of the points with warriors, another lord on foot with res orb, and if possible a hvy destroyer or tomb spyder. either one.. with this, just keep pumping shots into everything you see, using your scarabs as a screening force.

lastly, the GODS.. i dont know off hand if you can use both.. (which is just dick imho) but use whichever one you prefer (i think nightbringer is nice)
    keep him close to your warriors (as who would wanna come close to them?) and since he only moves 6". go warrior heavy, maxing out your units and lords with res' orbs. gun down everything you see. assault the big stuff with the god, and if you can take a tomb spyder if you have to.. pump scarabs out too to increase its survivability..

my three cents..
    Last edited by StrikerFox; 08-06-2009 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerFox View Post
    lastly, the GODS.. i dont know off hand if you can use both.. (which is just dick imho) but use whichever one you prefer (i think nightbringer is nice)
    keep him close to your warriors (as who would wanna come close to them?) and since he only moves 6". go warrior heavy, maxing out your units and lords with res' orbs. gun down everything you see.
    Nightbringer isn't a bad idea (you cannot field both btw), though I've had some VERY bad experiences with keeping him close to my warriors - if he gets killed, he's going to take a LOT of friendly models down with him. I haven't faced Tyranids with my Necron army yet... so I'm not much good for advice here... but since they are all on foot, I'd think using massed fire against them would work great (immortals, destroyers, warriors). Use your Monolith or a Lord with Veil to pull your squads out of combat & sit back and shoot.

use monolith ordnance and veil to teleport your dudes out of the way

Battle-Brother

Just kill the things that can get to you on the next turn. Pretty much just play a turn ahead of them.

Veteran-Sergeant

Sometimes against Nids, you just have to defeat them the hard way.

What I mean is, if you dont have enough fire power to kill off his Synaps in two turns, dont bother trying. Keep moving, this is something Necrons have in their favour, just about everything can move and still shoot. Dont let them assault you, assault them iff you have to, otherwise use your Monoliths as a mobile screen if they want to get at your Warriors. Focus on one unit a turn till it is dead, then move on. There is no point doing a few wounds to a Carnifex if you arnt going to finish the job, its certainly going to stop him from rushing forward next turn.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by captain_sketch View Post
    Ive had 5 games against tyranids using my necrons and cant seem to even get close to a tie. Anybody got any ideas?
    Trade your Necrons for another army then you'll win.

Seriously.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast