BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Is there any point in starting a Warhammer army right now?

So its my birthday in a few weeks and I''m in a bit of a dilemma. I shall definitely be getting myself some new miniatures and supplies for my 40k Tyranid army, however after recently buying the Archaon: Everchosen novel I'm hooked on the Warhammer fantasy world, which is a first time for myself. After watching all the new End Times releases and painting videos from GW over the last few months, my interest in 40k has dwindled and I've been looking into getting started with a Warhammer army. My dilemma comes from the current status with Warhammer, being that its in between 8th and 9th edition :/ and after reading the end of the End Times here on BoLS, i was just wondering is this the right time to start my collection or should i hold off until the summer, when 9th edition is rumored to be out? I love most of the armies in Warhammer (except for dark elves) and i think choosing an army would be loads of fun because there is so much diversity in the range. However, my worry is will my race still be playable in 9th edition or will i end out with a mass of outdated and unplayable miniatures? I would really love some advice on the matter, thanks.

Iron Father

I thought about this very question....I am waiting to see what happens with 9th before diving in.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Battle-Brother

Yeah that's exactly what i was planning to do but i just cant wait to get started

Is 9th even confirmed yet?

Battle-Brother

the end of the Archaon End Times book strongly suggests it.

First-Captain

well, personally, I would go with what ever army takes your fancy right now, even if it's invailadated in the next edition, YOU can still play 8th edition with friends and such.

There is currently a growing movement amongest veteran gamers to playing older editions of games called losely called the "Oldhammer" movement, many of those players first started playing back in 1st, 2nd or 3rd editions and they have become disparaged with modern Warhammer and so have moved back to using those older rulesets.

Some even play to other out of print rulesets by other companies even.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Brother-Captain

I'm still building my lizardmen, but I'm not gluing them onto the bases. I figure that if they get squatted I'll put them on round bases and use them to proxy something in 40k (possibly kroot mercenaries?). If the weird rumours about round bases for some fantasy models come about then hey, I'm fine there too.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

The one advantage to starting now is there'll be a glut of armies on Ebay from the doomsayers and negative nancies that are convinced they'll never enjoy the game again because their faction was "killed off"--you know, like everyone was.

Brother-Captain

I just upped my Skaven Army to 4k mate. I seriously doubt WFB is going anywhere, and there's no way GW would invalidate too much since then they won't be able to sell it any more.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Brother-Sergeant

As they blew up the warhammer world and everything that was left, died, I would wait until 9th edition comes before I start a new army in fantasy. For all we know, some if not most of the models may now be usable in 9th edition. Ie, it's a brand new world and none of the people in The Empire made it to the new world so their model don't look the part or whatever.

Would you want to spend $1000+ on models and army books, send months on gluing and painting them only to find out after a few months, when you are finally ready to play a game at your local GW store, you find out, your army isn't in 9th edition?

The main reason why I'm not spending any more of my cash at GW until I know I can still use my Empire army in which I have invested 9 years and about $2000 on.
    It's like killing two hobbits with one stone...
    And remember, there is no "I" in team but there is a "ME".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast