BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default All the Legions!

I've been looking at 30k pretty intently. It seems like every other day I'm on the Forgeworld site looking at those gorgeous models, trying to justify the purchase. But even if I could do that, I would have no idea which Legion I want to start!

So I decided to embark on a little project that I think will be fun to do and cool to show people. I'm going to build and paint a marine from one of each of the main 18 Legions!

I bought one box of Space Marine Tacticals, and one box of Chaos Marines, and have already divvied out parts to create models that I think well-represent their legions like so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0315151357.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	13134

Yep, I have one little baggy for each of the 18 Legions, plus one for Black Templar, and one for Crimson Slaughter, as the two extra supported chapters/warbands that GW seems to keep around. I've given each model a set of weapons and armor that I feel fits the theme of that chapter, like the Heavy Bolter to the Iron Warrior, and the Plasma gun to the Dark Angel, and of course the Flamer to the Salamander.

Next, to make sure I can put as much detail and work into these as possible, I assemble them sparsely and use a combination of a block of foam from wal-mart, paper clips, and picture-mounting sticky tack to assemble them like so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0315151357a.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	13135

This way, I can easily handle and paint each piece, and then glue them all together after they're all painted. The one here is my Raven Guard, since I figured ALL BLACK would be pretty easy to paint. For flavor, I gave this model the Corvus armor and beaky head, and put a scope on his bolter.

Currently, my selection of paints is pretty limited. I figure I can start off with the Raven Guard, Black Templar, Iron Warrior, and White Scar marines first. I prime them all gray, so whether I'm going lighter or darker, the difficulty will be about the same, and gray provides a nice medium so lighter colors shouldn't be too painful to work with.

I'll take more pics as I finish the Raven Guard. Unlike my Space Sharks, which I rushed to get done, I'm going to take my time on these, and may even try to freehand the chapter symbols.

Chapter-Master

do what I do, just collect all the legions.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

We don't all have our own warehouse

Chapter-Master

you don't need a warehouse. you just need to fill all the cupboards and drawers...

It's worth remembering: according to HH volume 3, you can have a completely legal 'Istvaan survivor' list made up of absolutely any models from any chapters as long as your opponent does the same. So if you want to have, say, an army with Iron Hands tacticals because you like the chest armour, but are desperate to get some Palantine Blades (because who wouldn't?) you can do that and field them as a Loyalist Force. Not to mention, squads don't have to even be full-sized (due to casualties), so you can literally build whatever force you like.

It's primarily designed for campaign play, but they've made real efforts to ensure that you can build your HH army out of whatever you think is cool. It's not like that's unbalanced either, because 'pure' armies taken from just one Legion get a stack of really rather powerful benefits that a mixed Legion force would lose.

HH really does have superb internal balance.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    It's worth remembering: according to HH volume 3, you can have a completely legal 'Istvaan survivor' list made up of absolutely any models from any chapters as long as your opponent does the same. So if you want to have, say, an army with Iron Hands tacticals because you like the chest armour, but are desperate to get some Palantine Blades (because who wouldn't?) you can do that and field them as a Loyalist Force. Not to mention, squads don't have to even be full-sized (due to casualties), so you can literally build whatever force you like.

It's primarily designed for campaign play, but they've made real efforts to ensure that you can build your HH army out of whatever you think is cool. It's not like that's unbalanced either, because 'pure' armies taken from just one Legion get a stack of really rather powerful benefits that a mixed Legion force would lose.

HH really does have superb internal balance.
    But Istvaan didn't involve forces like the Thousand Sons or the Imperial Fists, so what do you do if you want to throw some of them in there too?

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DrBored View Post
    But Istvaan didn't involve forces like the Thousand Sons or the Imperial Fists, so what do you do if you want to throw some of them in there too?
    remove the word Isstvaan and just call it a survivor force? I mean who's going to stop you (that was gonna agree to playing against the survivors in the first place)?
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Exactly. You can only do an Istvaan force at the moment because that's all that's out.

Give it time and they'll apply the same system to every Legion - you'll get Prospero survivors and the like.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

there could be observers and the like from other legions on Istvaan. Maybe a thousand sons marine was being held by one of the loyalist forces present because they were suspicious, and he ends up fighting alongside them. the Imperial Fists had sent a fleet, maybe they had a forward recon unit present who took part. Personally I would say take whatever legions you want, easy enough to think up a reason for them being there. Reading through the heresy novels there are always squads, companies and individuals on secondment somewhere else.

Veteran-Sergeant

I don't know about 1 marine from each legion, but for the longest time I have been thinking of an army (generic SM) with each squad in different chapter colors just to keep the monotony out of painting.

I think you should do it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast