BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you feel the changes to the army selection at Throne Of Skulls is for the better

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 30.77%
  • No

6 46.15%
  • Maybe

3 23.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question New Throne Of Skulls Rules: Good Or Bad?

Just seen the new rules pack for 40k Throne Of Skulls in June and there have been some huge changes...

1875pts - Battle Forged Or Unbound

The points value seems a huge increase from the standard 1500pts and I struggle to understand why they've chosen it! But most of all is the use of unbound, I dread to think what horrible unbound lists players will be forced to fight, I felt fortunate not to be pitted against players using the most overpowered Lord Of War units (in 1500pt games) at the last Throne Of Skulls I attended. Now I'll need to worry about possibly facing an army of Riptides or Leman Russes.

I've loved Throne Of Skulls but I find these changes really off putting since I'm not a really competitive player. What are your thoughts?
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Chapter-Master

I wont be attending and was considering it

GW dont understand that whem you introduce competition people will abuse the system and for any competition to be enjoyable for most people you need some comp

Fun pick up games are one thing. Trying to arrange a competition requires some restrictions. Not a lot. Just restrict to Battleforged and remove deamonolgy and youre mostly there...
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Or they do and decided that it's up to players to do what they want.

If I was going I'd find a Super Heavy that was decent for 350 points to take on other Super Heavies, then I'd fill the remaining 1500 points with an all comers list.
    I have a blog, check it out :P - http://forthegloryofgorkandmork.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tau-xv8-02-commander.html - just updated my blog 11/04/13

Thing is, any GW organised tournament isn't going to have Comp, or prevent Unbound.

They exist to give people a chance to play against new opponents, using the rules GW furnished us with.

I get it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you don't want to face powergamers at all, I don't think any tournament is going to suit.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Unbound doesn't bother me... I think the rules have been altered enough with allies, lords of war, data slates, etc. that the nastiest armies I've faced have been battle forged lists.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

The problem I have is the scoring. Everyone can give 1 favourite game votes. Then, the people with the most votes (maximum of 5) will be put on the big stage and the one with the most VPs wins. So you could technically have far underperformed on the table, but because you're mister nice guy you scrape through.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    The problem I have is the scoring. Everyone can give 1 favourite game votes. Then, the people with the most votes (maximum of 5) will be put on the big stage and the one with the most VPs wins. So you could technically have far underperformed on the table, but because you're mister nice guy you scrape through.
    And sportsmanship is the biggest part of the game.

Win or lose, power game or hobble yourself, the unwritten rule is don't be a penis.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

1875 pts? not 1850?

jeeze GW is taking this small increments thing to some really strange places
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    And sportsmanship is the biggest part of the game.

Win or lose, power game or hobble yourself, the unwritten rule is don't be a penis.
    It wouldn't hurt them to do best general (and give a decent prize) for most VP, most sporting (and give a decent prize) for he who is not a nob and then best overall (with a decent prize) for the ultimate of all possible things including army painting.

Actually similar to what they used to do...

(except decent prizes)
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post

This goes to dealing with unbound tomfoolery. If you play some nimrod with an asshat list chances are they will NOT be getting any favorite game votes. It's actually a clever way of penalizing the overly competitive without hamstringing someone who wants to play unbound for a truly fun themed fluffy reason.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast