BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidum View Post
    I thought I’d made that clear with the explanation of how hard games design was and my defense of Games Workshop putting out new editions to improve the game.
    While I agree Games Design is 'hard' the fact that they obviously have no meaningful probability model behind the system is pretty sad. It's far from impossible to build a computer algorithm that links relevant probability matrices as a way to validate points values relative to abilities. After all we're only dealing with a 10 scale attribute system and d6's. Plus the core model only has to be built one time. Play testing would essentially be used to validate the model.

The fact that it isn't done speaks to them not having any interest if things have any relative balance at all. Probably because imbalance is more profitable then true balance. It's also pretty telling that in lieu of addressing real issues the current design philosophy appears to be 'add increasing layers of randomness' to offset any inherently poor design elements.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    It's also pretty telling that in lieu of addressing real issues the current design philosophy appears to be 'add increasing layers of randomness' to offset any inherently poor design elements.
    sometimes i feel like were in the middle of the cold war, endless military spending to try and win a war of who-has-the-best-stuff
    they discuss that millions of dollars spent a second thing with nukes, if the little war ends, will I feel as dumb?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan Land View Post
    sometimes i feel like were in the middle of the cold war, endless military spending to try and win a war of who-has-the-best-stuff
    they discuss that millions of dollars spent a second thing with nukes, if the little war ends, will I feel as dumb?
    If it ends I'll feel pretty dumb.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Librarian

Sure I do.

/end

Librarian

The title is to point out the fact that you as a player (or vocal person who complains about every aspect of the hobby and company behind it), don’t know better than other people, and don’t know better than Games Workshop.

I thought I’d made that clear with the explanation of how hard games design was and my defense of Games Workshop putting out new editions to improve the game.
    Don't know better than other people or Games Workshop in what regard?

I certainly know better than anyone which aspects of the hobby appeal to me and which don't.

Wallet Warriors don't appeal, nor does game design driven by accountants.

Good luck with the blog(s).
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

For the record, i only use 3 Knights, all the standard Paladin and Errant models because my local store doesn’t allow Forge World.
    Lol. Dude, you brought 3 knights to a 1250 point game against me. Explain to me how that was going to be a fun and balanced game.
    Last edited by thanoson; 03-21-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    While I agree Games Design is 'hard' the fact that they obviously have no meaningful probability model behind the system is pretty sad. It's far from impossible to build a computer algorithm that links relevant probability matrices as a way to validate points values relative to abilities. After all we're only dealing with a 10 scale attribute system and d6's. Plus the core model only has to be built one time. Play testing would essentially be used to validate the model.

The fact that it isn't done speaks to them not having any interest if things have any relative balance at all. Probably because imbalance is more profitable then true balance. It's also pretty telling that in lieu of addressing real issues the current design philosophy appears to be 'add increasing layers of randomness' to offset any inherently poor design elements.
    with 40k as it stands at the moment, this is actually impossible. with nearly every unit having its own list of special rules and its own role it becomes too much of a mess to accurately price things though algorithms (although the hobbit/Lord of the rings game is priced that way).

example 1) if a tactical marine lost 3 points of ws, people wouldn't notice, if a unit of khorne bersekers lost 3 points of ws they become utterly untakeable.

Example 2) grey knight strike squad have a force weapon and a storm bolter, costing a marrine, a powersword and a storm bolter comes in at 34pts a model, plus an extra 25/5 for the brotherhood of psykers mastery 1, so 39points per grey knight. a price increase of nearly 100% on a unit that already struggles to compete with the terminators in the same slot.

that having been said, it is not impossible that 40k could get to a position where such balancing could be achieved: a decrease in special rules, costings of weapons by unit rather than a combined armoury and maybe we could see the system becoming balanced at a troops level rather than trying to balance it at an army level.

This is what drove me away from 40k, not the game the players. The "Sorry i abuse the rules, but it's legal" so is shooting and intruder in your house, but it shouldn't be your first option and you will probably be charged with murder... or in this case being a cheese ball. In pick up games your opponent should always feel free to walk away if it wont be fun, no sense wasting 3 hours of your life not having fun. Change your list up every once and a while, play a "for fun list". The 40K community should be tar and feathering people like this, and making it nigh impossible for them to get a game against any one.

Battle-Brother

The title is to point out the fact that you as a player (or vocal person who complains about every aspect of the hobby and company behind it), don’t know better than other people, and don’t know better than Games Workshop.

you are right i don't know better. there is no better there is only what there is and a whole lot of posturing. in other words a whole lot of talking but not many if any have a clue, especially GW.

explaining this as: GW don't seem to know their product or their target market as current playerbase/consumer base seem at odds with them no matter what they do.
    the players themselves don't know what they want out of the hobby even if they might claim otherwise. some people are fluffy others aren't...when can this so called community get over this insignificant fact and enjoy the game and hobby overall. because as you said i don't know and the fun fact of today is: no one does.
    Last edited by Orkimedes1000; 03-21-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Scout

Was he forced to play you because of a campaign or something?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast