Commander Levski had been in the dull candle lit room which filled his nostrils with incense. His look had changed from hassled from the recent news of a impending Ork invasion to extremely frantic at the new news.

"What do you mean new threat?" he quizzed.

The Adeptus Mechanicus senior priest looked at him from under a dull red hood covering his face in shadow. Only a metallic plate could be seen with a vox grill covering his mouth. A few pipes ran from the metal plate and down towards his chest disappearing under his red robes, which were lined with gold.

"A new threat in the form of Tyranids. A small splinter of the Hive Fleet known as Krakken heads this way. The xenos forces are seriously depleted and we can make a stand against them. Though you cannot let them have this world for various reasons"

"Why not just leave the planet to the Orks and Tyranids? This rock is useless and we can just blow the Tyranids to pieces with the Ion Cannon" replied Levski.

"This planet is too important Commander. This very outpost is build over remaining xeno artefacts, we believe from the race of Eldar. We wish to learn the secrets and use the technology. If Tyranids land on this planet they will asborb the rich biomass from the volcanic soil and they will reproduce rapidly."

"I will do my best then Adeptus. But I will not sacrifice the lives of my men. I will hold back the Tyranids as long as I can, in the mean time you best find out what you can about this xeno technology, which I believe is heresey."

Levski turned on his foot and left the dull room and buzzing of Servitors behind.

This game takes place on the Palisade Moon. The battle takes place before the arrival of the Orks. If the Tyranids win the Imperial Guard will leave the planet to its doom. If the Guard win then the Tyranids will meet the Eldar; which attempt to finish off the Hive Fleet's forces.

Here is a link to the campaign: [url]http://www.imperiusdominatus.com/2010/02/campaign-waaagh-of-worlds-part-1.html[/url]

Hive Fleet Krakken

HQ

Hive Tyrant leech essence, paraoxysm, 2 x twin-linked devourers, hive commander & adrenal glands

1 x Tyrant Guard

Hive Tyrant leech essence, paroxysm, 1 x twin-linked devourers, bonesword & lash whip, hive commander, old adversary, adrenal glands, acid blood & wings

Elite

2 x Zoanthrope w/ Mycetic Spore

2 x Zoanthrope w/ Mycetic Spore

Troops

15 x Termagants

15 x Termagants

1 x Tervigon adrenal glands, cluster spines & catalyst

1 x Tervigon adrenal glands, cluster spines & catalyst

Fast Attack

16 x Gargoyles adrenal glands & toxin sacs

Heavy Support

1 x Trygon adrenal glands

1 x Trygon adrenal glands

Total: 2003

Imperial Guard "Steel Lions" - 2,000 points

HQ

1 x Company Command Squad w/ Chimera 3 x plasma guns & medi-kit

1 x Company Command Squad w/ Chimera 3 x plasma guns & medi-kit

Troops

Veterans 3 x meltaguns

Veterans 3 x meltaguns

Veterans w/ Chimera 3 x meltaguns

Veterans w/ Chimera 3 x flamers

Veterans w/ Chimera 3 x flamers

Fast Attack

1 x Valkyrie multiple missile pods

1 x Valkyrie multiple missile pods

2 x Hellhounds heavy flamers

Heavy Support

1 x Leman Russ heavy flamer

1 x Leman Russ Demolisher heavy flamer

1 x Leman Russ Demolisher heavy flamer

Total: 1995

Game: Pitched battle & annilation

Deployment

Tyranids rolled to go first. Both Tervigons deployed in ruins getting 50% cover or even blocked from LOS. Devil tyrant and tyrant guard join together, guard deploys in terrain and tyrant out so will get cover save. Gargoyles deploy around the ruin by the other tervigon, the flyrant hides behind the ruin which the tervigon is in. One unit of termagants deploy in a crater to get cover saves. The rest stay in reserve.

Guard deploys across the length of the board. The leman russ battle tank is in the middle so can target either side of the board but direct LOS is blocked by a shrine of the aquila. The two demolishers deploy together shielding the melta vets chimera behind them. The hellhounds also deploy with that formation. A CCS and flamer vets squad deploys flank right and on the left flank both valkyries with melta vets are deployed along with the other CCS and flamer vets chimera, the flamer vets chimera is deployed in terrain and will get a cover save as a ruin blocks the front face.

Turn 1

Tervigons spawn 9 termagants each and cast feel no pain on the gants deployed in terrain and also the gargoyles. No other movement.

All guard tanks roll out except battle tank. A CCS chimera pops smoke and so does supporting flamer vet chimera.

Shooting turn flamer vets chimera supporting other CCS on the right flank burns and kills 4 termagants, which had just been spawned. Hellhounds finish the unit off and score first kill point for the imperial guard. Both demolishers fire at devil tyrant, one hits other scatters and scores a wound on the tyrant after saves. Valkyrie which didn’t turbo boost killed 4 gargoyles with misslie pod shot.

"The xeno scum holds in fear! Roll forward and crush them with our tanks! Purge the xeno" ordered Commander Levski.

Turn 2

All tyranid reserves arrive and all land on target when deep striking, except a trygon which scatters into a chimera, but scatter is reduced. Gants out flanking come in on the right flank behind CCS chimera.

Tervigons spawn 12 and 7 termagants, the one which spawned 7 burns itself out. All tyranids except tervigons move towards weakest vehicles armour face and take aim. Both tervigons cast feel no pain on gant units.

In shooting nids score nothing but shaken and stunned results and few weapon destroyed, heavy flamers were chosen. Best result was immobilized on CCS chimera on the left flank, which failed cover save as it popped smoke.

All gants charge chimeras in attempt to block exits so the guard cannot unleash full fire power from the stunned tanks.

Guard tanks reposition so nids at least need 4’s to hit in c.c and weak rears aren’t exposed. Flamer vets and CCS on right flank and both melta vets in valkyries bail out. Both valkyries move 12” but one cannot fire as crew shaken.

In shooting guard rack up a total of 4 kill points and kill the devil tyrant and tyrant guard with bring it down order using melta and plasma fire. Flamer vets bbq entire gant unit. Melta vets from valkyrie put 2 wounds on a tervigon. Melta vets in chimera put 2 wounds on a trygon. Flamer vets still in chimera burn at gargoyles leaving just 3 remaining.

Total is 4 kill points Imperial Guard and 0 Tyranids.

Levski looked from the Chimera hatch and spotted a giant Hive Tyrant with four rotting flesh stumps as guns stride across the ground. In front a snarling armoured beast prowled, the giant monsters guardian.

"Time to time beast" muttered Levski.

Levski picked up a vox and ordered his own command squad to prepare to fire out of the hatch of the Chimera. Levski got hold of a sergeant which had just dropped out one of the Valkyries and luckily his squad was packing meltaguns which would make a mess of this Tyranid bio monster.

"Bring it down!" shouted Levski down his vox as he pointed at the double beast tag team.

In a flash of white hot plasma and heat wave beams from the Veteran squad in the distance the Tyranid Hive Tyrant fell down in a heap along with its Hive Guard with seering plasma and melta holes in its alien flesh.

Turn 3

Tervigon spawns 11 termagants right by melta vets on the left flank, which just shot at it. Both tervigons cast feel no pain on termagant units.

Tyranids move ready to assault guard units.

In shooting phase tyranids score 2 kill points by wrecking a demolisher with warp lance fire and a chimera by devourer shots from the flyrant. Melta squad which had a hand in killing the devil tyrant takes fire from mass fleshborers and cluster spines from nearby tervigon, they fail morale and fall back 7”.

In assault a trygon wrecks the battle tank and the wounded trygon does a multiple assault and wrecks the last demolisher and melta vets chimera in the blast 6 vets are killed inc all melta gunners! Tervigon assaults a valkyrie and immobilizes it. Flyrant and termagants assault the flamer vets from the busted chimera and kill the entire lot via sweeping advance.

CCS on the right flank bails back into chimera the last flamer vet squad bails back into chimera and both tanks then move. Falling back melta squad falls back 7”. Operational valkyrie turbo boosts 24” to at least get a cover save. Other CCS stays in immobilised chimera. Remaining hellhound moves towards termagants in terrain.

One CCS issues bring it down to itself and fires on the flyrant leaving it with 1 wound. Falling back melta vets put a wound on the wounded trygon, but fail order to regroup from the nearby CCS on the right flank. Other CCS kills a zoanthrope with plasma fire. Hellhound burns 5 termagants. And last flamer vets bbq termagant squad.

Total is 5 Guard 7 Tyranids

"Levski watches in horror was one of the monsters which spawns the oncoming horde of Termagants leaps up to one of the low flying Valkyries and rips chunks of metal from one of its engines and shredding its wing. Something that big shouldn't move that fast and even attack a flying craft!

"May day may day may day. This is Valkyrie Skyhawk going down request immediate support. Lost engine power and we are falling into enemy terrority.

Levski watched as the Valkyrie spun in a corkscrew fast towards the ground with a stream of black smoke following it. A crashing noise and twisting sound of metal echoed across the battle field.

Turn 4

Tervigon spawns 9 termagants and burnt out tervigon casts feel no pain on a termagant unit. One trygon is out of synapse but passes leadership test ok.

In shooting phase flamer vets chimera is wrecked.

In assault wounded trygon polishes off falling back melta vets. Trygon wrecks immobilised CCS chimera. Tervigon scores weapon destroyed on hellhound and other tervigon and gants only brake weapons on the immobilised valkyrie. Turbo boosted valkyrie gets attacked by tyrant but does no damage.

Both CCS target the trygons. Hellhound moves back 18” to deployment zone, flamer vets move into large ruin in deployment zone. Valkyrie turbo boosts towards deployment zone.

CCS evens the score and kills the wounded trygon, the other trygon takes 3 wounds from plasma fire but not enough to kill it.

Imperial Guard have 6 points and the Tyranids 9 points

Levski watched as one of the brood father beasts charged at the last remaining Hellhound. The beast smacked into the front with all its might buckling the front hull. The beast then climbed up the dented hull and showing great intelligence ripped the inferno cannon turret clean off the chassis in a shower of sparks and oil. The beast has had its revenge, the Hellhound is a potent weapon against swarms and had killed many of its off spring.

A giant snake like beast loomed in the distance. The beast had already wrecked carnage through out Levski's Steel Lions and he wouldn't stand for it no more. The beast had already paid a butcher's bill with its own body showing off wounds from meltagun shots but it didn't show the pain.

"Now you die beast!" roared Levski as his command squad fired at the snake monster dropping it to the floor.

Turn 5

Nids move to finish the last guard units.

In shooting CCS is killed by tyrant, gargoyles and 2 termagant units. Hellhound takes another weapon destroyed from warp lance fire from the unit of 2 zoanthropes and now has no weapons left.

In assault trygon wrecks the valkyrie, CCS chimera is done in by tervigon and immobilised valkyrie is finally wrecked by other tervigon.

End of game guard have 6 points and nids a whooping 13!

"Levski's vox rumbled into life he recognised the voice instantly; it was his second in command, Jullius. Jullius was a senior officer and Levski granted him his own command squad after serving with Levski for sometime.

"If any one is out there we need immediate support...arrrgh"

The vox was cut off with Jullius' cries and the sound of gun fire with shrieks from alien monsters.

Ahead Levski spotted a rampaging brood father charge at his prized Chimera. The beast smashed into the front hull and bulldozed away the armour plates. It then flipped over the tank upside down with a massive crash. Levski crawled out the tanks rear hatch as alarms rang and red lights flashes from inside the tank.

"I have a dance with the devil gentlemen" said Levski as he drew his sword and marched calmly around the side of the tank to battle face to face whatever horrors lay there.

"Order all squads to fall back, it's been a pleasure gentlemen" were Levski's final words. Though his faithful and valiant command squad followed him into battle as bright blasts of plasma lit up the side of the battered tank.

The Palisade Moon is now in the grip of the Tyranids and the Imperial Guard have fallen back. The Orks are on approach and will be hitting the planet soon. Only the Eldar remain planet side in hope of recoving lost technology before lost to looting Orks or devourered by Tyranids. However another hope lies for the Imperium, the Imperial Fists approach!!

Summary

I thought the Tyranids were going to be wiped out by mass Imperial Guard tanks. At first it looked tough but I'm glad I held them back in the first turn and waiting for my reserves to come on. In the third turn it's just a case of those Trygons getting their claws into something. It's even better when you can do multiple assaults with 7 attacks and S7! Should teach Guard not to put tanks too close together then! lol.

List wise I think the devil Hive Tyrant needs another Tyrant Guard. It just doesn't last too long at all and the Tyrant can be whittled down with mass plasma or melta fire.

Gargoyles I am going to drop toxin sacs and adrenal glands. I know its a bargain buy but I use these buggers for a shield only and out of the games I've used them they have only reared combat once and they were just annoying, didn't do a lot of damage. So I'm going to drop the extras and get more bodies for a shield.

The flyrant I'm going to put another set of devourers on. The lash whip only comes in use when assaulting into terrain and being a tough beast the Guard didn't scratch it. The sword doesn't have much use, really. I would rather have 12 S6 shots twin linked instead of 6 shots.

Everything else list wise is bang on.