BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Captain

Default The End ++spoilers++

Having finished The End Times books, I'm feeling a little sad. Not because the story wasn't good because it some of the best stuff in years. It's just that I've been deriving enjoyment from the Old World for nigh on 30 years and it's demise has left me grieving a little.

To assist with this I thought I'd quite like to know what people's favourite Warhammer World moments were.

For me it's a tie between dashing in through the streets of Middenheim to stop "The Power Behind the Throne" in the excellent WFRP Enemy Within Campaign and Grimgor slaping Archaon around in the Storm of Chaos campaign (which does seem to be some what retconned but it was still great)

What are your thoughts folks?

Vlad von Carstein in the End Times stole the show throughout. Clearly the Mortarch of my Heart. Woe for the hundreds of years he was dead!

There's lots of others. I'll come back to this.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    Vlad von Carstein in the End Times stole the show throughout. Clearly the Mortarch of my Heart. Woe for the hundreds of years he was dead!

There's lots of others. I'll come back to this.
    Yeah he was a excellent character, I thought all the Von Carstein added greatly to the story. Vlad Was the daddy though (or should that be sire?) When he resurrects and taunts the imprisioned Manffred with the Carstein ring stuck with me. His death was nicely done too.

Anyone have any idea what happened to Alith Anar in the end? Last I read of him in Book V was about him watching Malekith in Athel Loren to keep him on the right path, but after that nothing! No mention of him at all in the final battle there, nor in Middenheim. Do the novels give any more of an idea?

He doesn't appear at all in Lord of the End Times.

Still, it's easy enough to deduce what happened to him: unmade when the fabric of reality unravelled, just like everyone else.

True enough, but of all the flaws and issues I have with the end times, the biggest is forgetting to mention certain characters at key times. Imrik and Alith were both core characters in the elven story arc, then just get completely overlooked in the final part of book V. It's not like they were forgotten completely in that book even, they were there on one page, and then just weren't the next!

Brother-Captain

Imrik does get mentioned in the Lord of the End Times Novel I haven't finished it yet but I'll let you know if it gives an indication of how he fares. I haven't read the novels other than that one it may be that the others detail how some of the other characters end up. The Lord of the End Times has certainly confirmed the fate of at least one major named character that wasn't fully covered on the End Times Archaon so far.

Just had a flick through Khaine again it would appear Alith threatens Malkieth that he needs to stay true to elvish people or else then slips into the shadows to watch/fight his battles, not massively heroic but it does fit with his character and after millennia of bitterness did anyone expect him to follow the Eternity King?
    Last edited by grimmas; 05-25-2015 at 02:58 AM.

Brother-Captain

Yep Imrik's fate is covered in Lord of the End Times, it's not exactly the most heroic but it is there. Up to this point having only read the source books it now clear that the novels are very much companion pieces to flesh out/finish the storylines.

Still Grimgor doesn't disappoint both with his direct dialogue and unique approach to violence